User Controls

Is Runescape the most complex MMORPG?

Despite being somewhat droll at times, the thing that really got me hooked on the game as a youngin' wasn't the combat mechanics or the graphics, like so many games are able to pull off as a superficial appeal while hosting very little actual content, it was the complexity of the game. You can read about the gameplay mechanics, item stats, and training strategies for hundreds of hours and still not have mastered the game. It's an MMORPG that poses an intellectual challenge as a world-inside-a-world that you grow into like a child grasps the grips of reality over time. The polar opposite to this would be The Exiled Realm Of Arborera, which has a dynamic combat system which causes you to plan your moves in real time, but that's all you do, every quest is either "gather x" which means "click on the animated trees 5 times", or "kill x" which means "do the exact same thing you would do to level up, except with one particular monster". The entire game is hack, slash, and dodge, which is also why I didn't like Diablo III very much, or Path of Exile which is a Diablo clone for the computer. Runescape has approximately 30 skills, 200 quests which require puzzle-solving, intricate storylines, and a myriad of activities within each quest to reach a logical conclusion, which I haven't seen in any other game so far. And the dungeoneering skill is more or less a Diablo minigame. I wish I never burned out on RS. I've been playing Lord Of The Rings Online for the past week or two and I've gotten 25 hours put into the game, the quests are mostly gather and kill like (every?) other MMORPG, but the game seems to have depth to it, even though the combat is just spamming 234974127984 to activate your special attacks consecutively to deal damage. I guess the "gather and kill" gameplay is WoW based? I've never played WoW so I can't say for sure, but that's the impression I get of it. So my question is, what is a game that has some diversity and poses itself as an intellectual challenge because of the intricacy of the self contained world? I want a game (free btw) that I can play that won't have me doing the same things I do at level 1 as a do at level 75 and 6,000 hours later.

Free MMORPGs I've played and my one sentence reviews.
    gather and kill = WoW clone

MapleStory: How bored are you, seriously, seriously.
    Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic: WoW Clone; made me want to kill myself.
    RiFT: WoW clone with some depth, environment is reminiscent of Skyrim. Crashed my computer.
    ArchAge: LOLpirates, crashed my computer.
    Dungeons And Dragons Online: Fun combat RPG, everything is pay-to-play after level...four
    Path Of Exile: Diablo clone, fun for ten minutes.
    LOTRO: WoW clone with some depth, doesn't crash my computer, it's what I have to resort to to occupy my time because I have no life and never leave my house.

Recommend me some shit, and if the game is paid for, at least provide a workable torrent.

The only non-MMORPG games I've enjoyed recently were Starcraft and Warframe, which is a FPS including platformer elements, which is my kinda game. There are no free platformers and that makes me sad. Rayman 3 defined my childhood.
    TLDR
    But muh meaningless useless activities
    U shud play Fallout Online.

Oh wait... the project got cancelled because faggots gonna faggot.

U cud prolly find a beta version somewhere tho....

But I highly doubt it.

It would have been fucking awesome.

The whole case between Bethesda and Interplay is actually pretty interesting.
    crazy mike Houston
    fuck runescape

MUME for life, nigger.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I actually played a fuckton of runescape as a kid and I can say with confidence, there is nothing intellectual about it. It's 100% WoW level grindfest, literally the only reason for 3D in the game is to make botting more difficult. Combat is exclusively dice rolls, every skill takes crazy ass levels of grind to make even a base level of effective. The one thing I will say for it is that the was levels work min-maxing is actually useful but it takes about 5 minutes to figure out the appropriate min-max build for what you want to do.

Fuck, so many hours wasted on my stupid fucking pure fisher and now I still want to play again. Fuck runescape man, fuck it hard.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I used to suck dicks outta Brooklyn.
    I actually played a fuckton of runescape as a kid and I can say with confidence, there is nothing intellectual about it. It's 100% WoW level grindfest, literally the only reason for 3D in the game is to make botting more difficult. Combat is exclusively dice rolls, every skill takes crazy ass levels of grind to make even a base level of effective. The one thing I will say for it is that the was levels work min-maxing is actually useful but it takes about 5 minutes to figure out the appropriate min-max build for what you want to do.

Fuck, so many hours wasted on my stupid fucking pure fisher and now I still want to play again. Fuck runescape man, fuck it hard.

The training is repetitive but to find decent training spots you need to complete quests or do minigames, which gives it some variety. And minigames like Barrows require strategy, Soul Wars, Fist of Guthix, etc, are like games within games. How many MMORPGs even have skills like fishing, or any skills at all? The only skill in most MMORPGs besides combat is crafting, which is "gather x to make a new weapon" and that's it. And can you name a single game that has a decent questing system like Runescape does? The monotony really sets in around level 50 of every skill, at which point the game makers must have been like "fuck it, these people have no lives anyway" but recent updates to Runescape have added combat equipment that is useful at levels 90+. MMORPGs are just meh games in general for the most part I guess.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    WoW was basically kill and gather when you were leveling up, but what was interesting was endgame character building with regards to dungeon and PVP specs/item sets and the like. Heroic dungeons/raids were good as well but everything became super simple weaksauce after Wrath of the Lich King.
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged

Your brain craves the dopamine. Imagine what you could do stimmed up. Give in and play marathon sessions.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Your brain craves the dopamine. Imagine what you could do stimmed up. Give in and play marathon sessions.

Nah man, it's some tom wolfe shit, can't never go back to runescape again. Runescape had the reward/dopamine mechanism down no doubt but when I'm all stimmed up (or even when I'm not) it's more about the thrill of the chase, the feeling of speed and competence and acceleration. I can't enjoy games that don't have a meaningful element of skill anymore (well I can, but the story has to pay off (ala morrowind, very classical RPG mechanics but atmosphere and story in spades) which certainly isn't the case in runescape). I feel pangs desire for that comfortable grind now and then but in the end that feeling of power that comes from being faster, smarter, better than the next guy (or dying trying) is better, like some kind of carefully planned dance. It's kind of like the "imitation precedes competence" principle in education. First we imitate being skilled with games that basically simulate skill acquisition through XP or other in-game rewards that make the game easier. Then eventually we graduate to actual competence, where we stand on our own feet. Gotta go fast man, gotta go fast.
    I want to die

lol
    Is it supposed to be a woman? She doesn't look femine at all.

Disgusting.
    I'll make her more fappable once I buy lingerie armor
    I'll make her more fappable once I buy lingerie armor

Impossible.
    • Her hair is too short.
    • She's too musculair.
    • She looks too tall.
    And what kind of name is rhalbweny anyway.
    random name generator

in TERA you can play as a loli race

random name generator

in TERA you can play as a loli race

Lewl, loli master race.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Impossible.
    • Her hair is too short.
    • She's too musculair.
    • She looks too tall.

nigga, short hair be the definition of fappable.
Jump to Top