User Controls

Looking for a laptop

Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    My highest priorities are efficient multitasking, portability. and internet connectivity. I'm not really attached to conventional operating systems, so if you have a good bit to share about Chromebooks or Linux, I'll keep an open mind. Any suggestions?
    Get a touchscreen one they are dope.
    bling bling Dark Matter
    i got u won for wif linux cost of 1 bar
    bling bling Dark Matter
    i put all the passwrds of internet wot muslims use 4 u
    When you say "multitasking", what multiple tasks are you actually trying to do? Chromebooks are good for college students n shit who have to type essays, do homework online etc, and they just browse the internet and shit for fun. They have great battery life and are pretty secure too.

As far as Linux goes, don't even. Unless you're for some reason buying a laptop that has no OS loaded onto it (or its considerably cheaper than a comparable Windows laptop), don't give yourself the headache of Linux. In 2017, unless you are a developer, Linux is just retarded and a headache for no real reason. Pretty much the only good thing for an everyday user is that it's free. Otherwise it's inferior to Windows in every way (for a casual user), and a tinkerer's toy now.
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    Oh come on man Linux is good for all sorts of shit.
    I put Mint on an old POS and run KODI on it, fucking movies up the ying yang.
    Plus you got open office,vlc,and a ton of other free stuff.
    If you need to use office software, then Open or Libre Office are the "will do" option. Microsoft Office is so overwhelmingly superior in every single aspect that it's not even funny. Seriously. You can make do with LibreOffice or OpenOffice but MS Office is just categorically better.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon When you say "multitasking", what multiple tasks are you actually trying to do? Chromebooks are good for college students n shit who have to type essays, do homework online etc, and they just browse the internet and shit for fun. They have great battery life and are pretty secure too.

As far as Linux goes, don't even. Unless you're for some reason buying a laptop that has no OS loaded onto it (or its considerably cheaper than a comparable Windows laptop), don't give yourself the headache of Linux. In 2017, unless you are a developer, Linux is just retarded and a headache for no real reason. Pretty much the only good thing for an everyday user is that it's free. Otherwise it's inferior to Windows in every way (for a casual user), and a tinkerer's toy now.

Holy shit, really, you can't use Linux? You're a fucking nood. It's less buggy than windows and less annoying than both windows and mac

Originally posted by Captain Falcon When you say "multitasking", what multiple tasks are you actually trying to do? Chromebooks are good for college students n shit who have to type essays, do homework online etc, and they just browse the internet and shit for fun. They have great battery life and are pretty secure too.

Originally posted by greenplastic Holy shit, really, you can't use Linux?

It's not a matter of whether or not I can use it. I know Bash so it's whatever for me. But for an everyday user, it is worthless. Unless you can't pay for Windows, there is literally zero reason to use Linux.

It's less buggy than windows and less annoying than both windows and mac

You are mentally retarded. Both of these couldn't be more wrong.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon It's not a matter of whether or not I can use it. I know Bash so it's whatever for me. But for an everyday user, it is worthless. Unless you can't pay for Windows, there is literally zero reason to use Linux.

Enjoy your viruses
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Hash Slinging Slasher Enjoy your viruses

You must actually be retarded if you get a virus. In 2017 this is pretty much a PEBCAK issue. Unless you're downloading sketchy shit from sketchy sites, then ignoring UAC and basically *trying* to get a virus, you're pretty much safe
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    I was think about buying a MSI laptop but I don't game much.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I got by for like two years in college on a chromebook with crouton, like capt said the battery life is amazing and the native browser is really snappy for the cheap ass hardware those things are built out of. I'm not crazy about the last update to the mac book pros but but I'm still convinced the MBP is still the best laptop on the market, although you pay a premium for it. You might consider an air if you want something cheaper (but still considerably more expensive than chromebooks, as most things are).

The X line of thinkpads are actually half decent for an on-the-go kind of laptop although hardcore thinkpad people think they're trash along with like everything else. They're expensive and have mediocre battery life but are well built and are pretty powerful machines. Some people love the hardware design.
    Lanny a few years ago I would have agreed with you that Macbooks are the best laptops if you ignore the premium price.

Up until the last gen MBP was introduced, it was the case that while on paper you could get a laptop with the same or better on paper specs, the build quality and overall industrial design of Macbooks was phenomenal, you'd have to buy a Thinkpad or Dell XPS (or maybe Studio at the time?) laptop that was even more expensive (albeit they usually packed better specs as well) to get the same level of quality.

Nowadays, there are some amazing alternatives to all macbooks. Lenovo's ultrabooks and business grade laptops generally have begun to overtake them in most ways. Same with the Dell XPS and Precision lines. Not to mention that on the lower end, Toshiba has always been critically underrated IMO, and nowadays they make the highest quality budget and midrange laptops you can get.

So I think while Macbooks are still good laptops (although the newest Pro is retarded as a professional computer, it is still a high quality product), they've lost that quality edge. Now they're pretty much skating on A) brand value and B) the fact that OSX is the only modern, mainstream, well supported UNIX OS you can also use as a daily driver (and GNU/Linux has blazed ahead for developers in recent years anyway).
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    What are you calling Lenovo ultrabooks? Most their "business grade" stuff I've seen has been in the thinkpad lines, as mentioned I like the X series, not hot on the T series, there's arguments to be made for both but honestly I've yet to see a thinkpad model that's (price aside) a better product than a same gen MBP. Is there some other lenovo line you're talking about?
    Ye lenovo's business grade = thinkpads which r good, when I talk about ultrabooks I'm referring to stuff like their Yoga and Ideapad lines.
    cerakote African Astronaut
    apparently thinkpads are supposed to be reliable laptops that you can use for a workhorse

get a t420, parts to beef up the computer can readily be found on the internet and theyre easily serviceable
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon If you need to use office software, then Open or Libre Office are the "will do" option. Microsoft Office is so overwhelmingly superior in every single aspect that it's not even funny. Seriously. You can make do with LibreOffice or OpenOffice but MS Office is just categorically better.

Yes, being able to use MS Office is non-negotiable. I am open to using Google docs, however.

Particularly in manic episodes, I open lots of tabs in lots of browsers and juggle many documents open at once.

Originally posted by Lanny I got by for like two years in college on a chromebook with crouton, like capt said the battery life is amazing and the native browser is really snappy for the cheap ass hardware those things are built out of. I'm not crazy about the last update to the mac book pros but but I'm still convinced the MBP is still the best laptop on the market, although you pay a premium for it. You might consider an air if you want something cheaper (but still considerably more expensive than chromebooks, as most things are).

The X line of thinkpads are actually half decent for an on-the-go kind of laptop although hardcore thinkpad people think they're trash along with like everything else. They're expensive and have mediocre battery life but are well built and are pretty powerful machines. Some people love the hardware design.

A Chromebook is looking very attractive to me right now for all the reasons you said. I currently use a MBP 2011 17" and it works great, it's just heavy to carry around with me everywhere and I worry that I'll drop it because it has a hybrid drive and I think that could eventually cause serious damage. Not to mention the price, Chromebooks can be super cheap. How do you get one with no OS loaded?
    You can just load other OSes onto Chromebooks

And no, Chromebooks won't be able to handle TOO many tasks too well. If there's a way to get Firefox then maybe but most Chromebooks come with low ram and thus your performance can fuck if you do too much.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon It's not a matter of whether or not I can use it. I know Bash so it's whatever for me. But for an everyday user, it is worthless. Unless you can't pay for Windows, there is literally zero reason to use Linux.

How about to not pay $100 to have windows pop up every 10 minutes trying to get you to update? or for free analogues of microsoft office? or not have to deal patronizing restrictions like warning you that you downloaded a program from the internet?
Jump to Top