User Controls

Lunix Distributions

  1. #1
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I've been using Debian for years, setting up a new laptop, what distros do you use?

    Arch recommendations = cock snapped off
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  2. #2
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    actually since this one doesn't have a discrete GPU I might give OpenBSD a try again
  3. #3
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Parrot Home Edition.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  4. #4
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    looks good, I'll give it a try.

    I'd never heard of it, assumed you were joking and it was like puppy or something
  5. #5
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by aldra looks good, I'll give it a try.

    I'd never heard of it, assumed you were joking and it was like puppy or something

    Lol no. It's actually really good.
  6. #6
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    How are you supposed to do full disk encryption with this? I've tried doing it manually (cryptsetup, create LUKS, physical partition, LVM or format to ext4) with and without LVM and it shits the bed trying to install into the mounted volume
  7. #7
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    oh fuck's sake there's an 'encrypt system' tickbox but you have to nuke all partitions for it to show
  8. #8
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I spent most of last night trying out different LUKS/LVM configurations. Outstanding
  9. #9
    slide22 African Astronaut
    Originally posted by aldra I've been using Debian for years, setting up a new laptop, what distros do you use?

    Arch recommendations = cock snapped off

    ^Social Engineering
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  10. #10
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by slide22 ^Social Engineering

    I can write linux malware compatible with most distributions. And aldra is a 10/10 top lad.

    Hey aldra, Parrot humming a long like a cockatoo imitating a kitty cat? Now that you found the easy way to set up LUKS/lvm. It's possible to set up full disk encryption with the utilitiy that comes with the installer as well though. It's a bit of pain, but it's manageable.

    Besides, i think you won't be dissapointed when everything is running smoothly.
  11. #11
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Sophie I can write linux malware compatible with most distributions. And aldra is a 10/10 top lad.

    Hey aldra, Parrot humming a long like a cockatoo imitating a kitty cat? Now that you found the easy way to set up LUKS/lvm. It's possible to set up full disk encryption with the utilitiy that comes with the installer as well though. It's a bit of pain, but it's manageable.

    Besides, i think you won't be dissapointed when everything is running smoothly.

    yeah it was easy to set up aside from that. just strange layout really; you can create encrypted partitions from the installer but can't do anything with them - if you choose to completely clear the physical device a tickbox shows up to allow for an FDE install. I kind of don't like having root and home on the same partition (there's no option in the installer for LVM) but it doesn't make too much difference on a 512gb ssd. I'm just changing around the UI and stuff now; most of it is just standard Debian
  12. #12
    Donald Trump Dark Matter
    Linux distros are all shit, but Ubuntu Mate is the least shit I have found so far, at least for installing on an x86 laptop.

    I have a Pinebook Pro that needs Manjaro (Arch derived, very shit), and a Raspberry Pi that does nothing that is better off running Raspbian (which is shit).

    At work it's all RedHat, which is nice enough, but still shit.
  13. #13
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I gave up Arch years ago because they kept pushing system-breaking updates with no warning, then argued it wasn't their fault and that you shouldn't run updates ever without checking changelogs. nevermind that it's a rolling release, and their equivalent of a simple apt-get update regularly changed around their c/cpp libraries and broke existing symlinks, or tried to replace init with systemd and fucked both into a state of not working
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  14. #14
    Donald Trump Dark Matter
    Originally posted by aldra I gave up Arch years ago because they kept pushing system-breaking updates with no warning, then argued it wasn't their fault and that you shouldn't run updates ever without checking changelogs. nevermind that it's a rolling release, and their equivalent of a simple apt-get update regularly changed around their c/cpp libraries and broke existing symlinks, or tried to replace init with systemd and fucked both into a state of not working

    I've had that experience twice with Manjaro.

    "But you agreed to it. It's in the changelogs".

    Protip: it probably isn't.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  15. #15
    Migh Houston
    Ubuntu works well for me on most of my devices.
  16. #16
    lockedin Tuskegee Airman
    The author of this post has returned to nothingness
  17. #17
    lockedin Tuskegee Airman
    The author of this post has returned to nothingness
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  18. #18
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by lockedin i run nigger linux OS

    lol I think I still have an iso for L4N somewhere

    literally just boots to a slideshow of rappers, fried chicken and grape drank
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  19. #19
    Migh Houston
    Linux is becoming popular. I even heard a cashier at the grocery store talking about it.
  20. #20
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by Migh Linux is becoming popular. I even heard a cashier at the grocery store talking about it.

    i know for a fact a lot of businesses and such in my local area seem to be incorporating Linux into their companies. Which is smart. OSS, so no huge costs, highly customizable. It's definitely the future.

    So, in terms of Cyber Crime, i expect a lot more linux focused RaaS and MaaS groups will be starting to offer services that would align with this seeming trend.
Jump to Top