User Controls

Ex bitcoin mining GPUs

Now that GPU mining isn't profitable one is starting to see a "glut" of GPUs hitting the second hand market. I've seen people saying they should be avoided and i've also seen people saying they work fine and are a great deal.

What do the nigs think? it would be nice to pick up a couple of cheap RTXs.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    they've probably been running at max load (heat) for a long time so keep that in mind I guess

if they still have time on the warranty you're probably ok, otherwise lifespan is probably going to be shorter than usual
    Ghost Black Hole
    I heard you can just unscrw the screws, take a weird computer part sanding tool and grind off a chunk where the short happened and use infared and shit to replace the thing with flux and solder and jury rig it to working order

the card won't last as long as a brand new one but if you got a bunch of those cheap you could probably mine a shit ton of rytpto currency and put it into that new slipium backed ETH 2.0 which gives stakes rewards for holding larger amounts so instead of "well maybe this goes up to 99999999$ USD someday in 1000 years" you can actually calculate a % year growth that isn't based on retardonomics

That would probably be worth the investment of buying burnt out cards
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    a lot of the time you can fix a short just by putting it in a reflow (or toaster) oven to slightly melt and resettle the solder joints

don't think OP is looking to buy damaged cards though
    Originally posted by aldra a lot of the time you can fix a short just by putting it in a reflow (or toaster) oven to slightly melt and resettle the solder joints

don't think OP is looking to buy damaged cards though

I've fixed/reflowed non functional GPUs in the past by putting them in the oven for 15 mins (on 350F or something like that)..I did that with 2x GTX 1050s a few years ago not believing it would work but it did and they are still running today.
    Ghost Black Hole
    Ethereum just switched from proof of work so they are probably still dumping cards for the rest of the year, the cards were mostly being sold because of the crypto market going down during the summer

https://fortune.com/2022/06/17/you-think-crypto-winter-has-battered-bitcoin-investors-talk-to-a-bitcoin-miner/
    I bought a 1070GTX off ebay for $100, it came yesterday.

Seller claimed it was lightly used for gaming and never mining (this is for my "backup" machine" as I already have a 3060Ti in my main pc).

Looking at benchmarks the 1070 outperforms the 2060RTX on most tests and for a fraction of the cost! (I sold a 2060RTX super about a year ago for $450).

So, if you're looking for a decent cheap GPU the GTX 1070 is a great deal at the moment..they were going for $200 about a year ago and now you can pick them up for 100-130 easy.
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    I have a 1060 I use for crypto mining during the winter (it's not profitable right now as electricity is so expensive, but it is a subsidised way of heating the PC area). After a few months the fan got noisy, so I sprayed some silicon oil on it, and it's working quietly again.

Microprocessors do age and wear out, but only slowly.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor_aging
Jump to Top