User Controls

attn: bilinguists

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Does your non-English language/s have the equivelant to our words little kids sometimes use like ducky fishy birdy blankie froggy cuppy etc.?

Or commonly mispronounced words by small children, like 'pasghetti' or 'cimmanon?"

Thanks you
    cerakote African Astronaut
    depends on the 2nd language and the competence of the teacher

i can speak a little spanish from taking 3 years of it in hs but i just cant say some of the words right because i have a texan drawl
    Originally posted by mmQ Does your non-English language/s have the equivelant to our words little kids sometimes use like ducky fishy birdy blankie froggy cuppy etc.?

Or commonly mispronounced words by small children, like 'pasghetti' or 'cimmanon?"

Thanks you

I know Spanish and some Hindi. In spanish you basically just add -ito or -ita to the end.

With Hindi I'm not sure, people would add bacha to the end of things but I think it just means baby. They say it like one word though. For puppy, you can either say like 'son/daughter of a dog' (kutta/betee kabacha) which would be the cute way of saying it or you can use the actual word for puppy which is 'peela.'

At least that's my understanding of it. I'm not very good with Hindi since I never learned it formally, just picked up what I could while there. If anybody knows better pls let me know.
    Why were you in India?
    I was building tiny houses.
    Hahaha what? Sounds cool.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Yeah. But it's not exclusive to how a child may say "birdie" or whatever. You can use the suffix to convey that the object or whatever you are talking about is small.

Like "vogeltje" translates to "birdie" but if we use the same suffix for the Dutch word child like so: "kindje" it means small child.
Jump to Top