User Controls

What do you think its like to be a tree?

Do trees perceive anything?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Trees do respond to stimuli so they do perceive things in some sense. I don't think we have any reason to believe trees or any plant has subjective experience in the same way animals do.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAQfglRyPlM
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I'm stumped.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    snab_snib African Astronaut
    it fucking sucks.
    trippymindfuk African Astronaut
    It would be a rough life, niggas climbing you and such
    itd srtill be better than to be you, spambot
    Probably sucks when kids cut you up with a knife or spray paint on you or hang trees off your arms and shit.
    Originally posted by Lanny Trees do respond to stimuli so they do perceive things in some sense. I don't think we have any reason to believe trees or any plant has subjective experience in the same way animals do.

What are you talking about? We have plenty of reason to believe they don't experience life the same way. There is nothing in the brain which suggests it is in any way aware of itself. Reacting to an environment through chemical release is something EVERY living creature does. Suggesting that this is indicative of any sort of awareness or existence is total folly.

Until we find the wood equivalent of a prefrontal cortex, I'm not buying it.
    Originally posted by Discount Whore What are you talking about? We have plenty of reason to believe they don't experience life the same way. There is nothing in the brain which suggests it is in any way aware of itself. Reacting to an environment through chemical release is something EVERY living creature does. Suggesting that this is indicative of any sort of awareness or existence is total folly.

Until we find the wood equivalent of a prefrontal cortex, I'm not buying it.

fucking moron, "every living creature is aware of it's environment, how could it possibly be aware" do you get your opinions from PBS and reddit? plants and animals, with the except of dogs and humans, aren't sapient but it's simply a fact that they're fucking aware.
    Originally posted by snab_snib fucking moron, "every living creature is aware of it's environment, how could it possibly be aware" do you get your opinions from PBS and reddit? plants and animals, with the except of dogs and humans, aren't sapient but it's simply a fact that they're fucking aware.

I never said anything about self-consciousness.

Tell me, how do you know to respond to anything when you're asleep? It isn't any sort of awareness. You just kind of do it. It's automatic. That's how trees function, only they have a lot less input. And really, being aware to any capacity is a huge energy waster. You think trees have energy to spare? They have zero evolutionary reason to be aware whatsoever. Again, reacting to an environment is not indicative of being aware. They don't perceive anything. It's all automatic.

lol @ dogs being sapient but not dolphins, chimpanzees, pigs, greys, etc.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Discount Whore What are you talking about? We have plenty of reason to believe they don't experience life the same way.

What are you talking about, I just said I don't think trees have animal-like experience, consciousness, self-consciousness, or any other mental properties.
    Originally posted by Discount Whore I never said anything about self-consciousness.

Tell me, how do you know to respond to anything when you're asleep? It isn't any sort of awareness. You just kind of do it. It's automatic. That's how trees function, only they have a lot less input. And really, being aware to any capacity is a huge energy waster. You think trees have energy to spare? They have zero evolutionary reason to be aware whatsoever. Again, reacting to an environment is not indicative of being aware. They don't perceive anything. It's all automatic.

lol @ dogs being sapient but not dolphins, chimpanzees, pigs, greys, etc.

no, dolphins, chimpanzees, pigs, they are not sapient. dogs learned sapience from humans. and greys are people, not animals. in fact we're probably animals to them.

all life is aware in the same sense that non-sapient animals are aware. it's axiomatic and fundamental to the very nature of life. it could not be otherwise. otherwise, there'd be no actual REASON to evolve.

reacting to an environment is not indicative of being aware.

you are braindead. mentally broken. i'm questioning if you're aware.
    Originally posted by Lanny What are you talking about, I just said I don't think trees have animal-like experience, consciousness, self-consciousness, or any other mental properties.

I'm talking about you, talking about me talking about you.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Trees know what's up, let's put it that way.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    THEIR BRANCHES IS WHAT!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    aww sap, two part joke
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Really they can definitely hold conversations with other plants. It's not conversation the way we think of it, but it's conversation nonetheless.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Just leaf it alone man, who are we to speak of trees?
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Don't treet this so lightly Lanny.
Jump to Top