User Controls

Interesting find

Wariat Marine/Preteen Biologist
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465022111/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_3KHNPQ4ARDP12TPNB3KG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

from the first review off the top:

Instead, other factors BEYOND CSA, mostly post-hoc, causally contribute to the experience of "traumatization". The central thesis of the book (as both her data, and global data, suggests) is that traumatization often (i did not say 100% nor even 50%, so save your strawman arguments) occurs AFTER the fact, as in potentially years to decades later via factors like cultural norms, education gaps, knowledge of what is legal or ethical, leading questions in a therapy session, counter-transference, and projection from the therapist.

The author is not some stooge therapist posing as a researcher as we typically see from many psych books, Clancy is a professional academic who has worked with extremely famous names like Richard McNally (a Harvard psychologist who has spearheaded the memory models for trauma for decades) and others. If you don't like science, perhaps don't buy this book. It is NOT a self help book, instead it calls out the 'trauma field' of therapists for inducing unnecessary additional suffering into clients. By reviewing this as negative, you have either mistaken it for a self-help book, or didn't even read the thing.

Let me give a fairly typical example the book uses to illustrate what i mean: (and the author has done this throughout the book by the way, with actual participant's data): Participant A, we shall call Jane, reports, as a 25 year old to the author via interview, sexual fondling at age 5. Jane reports that, at the time of age 5, she found this event to be more "confusing", "ambiguous", and "unsafe" VERSUS "terrifying" or "hauntingly traumatic". Only until adolescence, when Jane learns of what sexual abuse even is, does she recall this event and THEN (through knowing that sexual abuse is categorically bad/invasive/etc due to her educational and cultural knowledge level) becomes "fully" traumatized post-hoc. The author does not deny the existence of trauma. Instead she argues there is often (not always) a temporal gap between event versus psychobiological-level trauma.
    WellHung Black Hole
    shut the fuck up, nigger. ⚘
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
Jump to Top