User Controls

Interesting book guyz

Wariat Marine/Preteen Biologist
    Interesting book I recommend for you guys to check out when you get a chance:
    goodreads.com/en/book/show/56269140-finding-normal

Read the reviews like the first one off the top:

"I feel weird being the first person to review this, but I can't lie - I saw it pop on Edelweiss and immediately read the whole thing. I am really interested in stories about people who defy the norm, and I appreciated that Tsoulis-Reay deconstructed what normal is and why it exists. The stories in the first part are more focused on unconventional sexual relationships which are generally not considered deviant. The stories in the second part, Transgressing Normal, may be considered disturbing depending on your level of comfort with taboo sexual acts. Those who are triggered by sexual assault, incest, and content involving sex with animals should not read. These particular issues are not my triggers, yet I found myself feeling disturbed at the end of the book; Tsoulis-Reay does an amazing job of reporting on the people involved in these situations, diving deep into their personal lives with a smooth and engaging style. I think part of the discomfort stems from feeling empathy for people who perform acts that many consider unspeakable. It's a lot to struggle with, but I think it's important. "

Another:

"Even though this book has the words "taboo" and "sex" in the title, it is far from salacious. Rather, it's an exploration of how complex humanity is.

The first three chapters explore consensual non monogamy, age gap relationships and asexuality. The author does a wonderful job exploring the studies done on the topics, interviewing people who fit into these groups and analyzing her own prejudices. The chapter on consensual non monogamy was particularly adorable focusing on older polyamorous couples happily living "the lifestyle."

The last two chapters pushed the boundaries on normalcy by centering on genetic sexual attraction and zoophilia. These chapters are prefaced with clear guidance and warning about their content. The author steers clear of exploiting these groups and instead focuses on psychology and learning more from the individuals she meets. She struggles with her own morality by trying to be opened minded and yet also wanting to make sure that her words don't lead to damage.

I was at times charmed, confused, illuminated and disgusted. People ultimately want to connect with others and live as authentically as they can. There can be bad people out there in all of these taboo groups, but there are also terrible heteronormative people as well. Overall, it is a reminder to listen to each other and that there is power in storytelling. "
Jump to Top