User Controls

Anonymous downloading??

lllll Houston
    Swim wants to download info and doesn’t want people to know that it was them.
    How?
    Like a vpn of sorts but for downloading.
    The only problem with that is, there is always the “end-of-the-line” right?
    …The end IP being the downloader, right?

Like how are people downloading info they’re not supposed to have from tor, or places like tor, and staying secure/remaining anonymous?
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    depends on where you're downloading from

if you're downloading directly from a tor hidden service you should be fine

if you're using tor as a proxy to download from a regular site you're vulnerable to timing attacks but that's pretty hit or miss and unlikely to be an issue unless you've already got their attention anyway
    Go to Starbucks.
    just get a used cellphone and find discarded simcards at the airport.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny just get a used cellphone and find discarded simcards at the airport.

or go to starbucks.
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson or go to starbucks.

starbucks arent anonymous.

even if their wifis are free, which most are not, because they require you to buy their coffee before giving you their router pass, most have CCTVs in and around their properties.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny starbucks arent anonymous.

even if their wifis are free, which most are not, because they require you to buy their coffee before giving you their router pass, most have CCTVs in and around their properties.

You can use it outside in your car...the passwords rarely change...and yes, their wifi is free. Same with a lot of highstreet places. The car dealership I goto hasn't changed their wifi password in the 6yrs I've been going there
    Wariat Marine/Preteen Biologist
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny starbucks arent anonymous.

yea but you can pay for their coffee with cash and wear a covid mask plus how could they pin it on you vs all the other people inside also using it?
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson You can use it outside in your car…the passwords rarely change…and yes, their wifi is free. Same with a lot of highstreet places. The car dealership I goto hasn't changed their wifi password in the 6yrs I've been going there

oh, ok.

i forgot ehmerikans are more technologically retarded than the rest of the world, except afrikkka.
    Originally posted by Wariat yea but you can pay for their coffee with cash and wear a covid mask plus how could they pin it on you vs all the other people inside also using it?

most routers log mac addresses.
    The correct answer is no method or means of data transport is untraceable. The authorities have the resources to crack everything currently out there.
    Originally posted by ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ The correct answer is no method or means of data transport is untraceable.

we all knew this.

what we dont want is for it to be traced to us.
    Originally posted by ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ The correct answer is no method or means of data transport is untraceable. The authorities have the resources to crack everything currently out there.

MAC addresses can easily be changed too on a lot of equipment, you can make one up and reflash the firmware. If you are using a device with a fake mac address on a wifi network that isn't yours...away from CCTV cameras...it's pretty much foolproof.
    10 years ago I said on Totse they could get your MAC ID and everyone scoffed. They ain't laughin' so loud now.
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny most routers log mac addresses.

How on earth do you retrieve that sort of info? And does it survive a reboot? I doubt it.

Modern devices use random MACs anyway.

https://www.mist.com/get-to-know-mac-address-randomization-in-2020/
    There's a million tricks you can use to retrieve the hardware MAC IDs.
    Originally posted by ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ There's a million tricks you can use to retrieve the hardware MAC IDs.

Again those can be changed...we program MAC addresses onto a few of the product we make...I can easily change it if I wanted/needed too to some bogus address...they are not HARDWARE.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson Again those can be changed…we program MAC addresses onto a few of the product we make…I can easily change it if I wanted/needed too to some bogus address…they are not HARDWARE.

what device are you talking about? they're typically written to ROM, drivers can just be programmed to ignore it
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    To get the real MAC IDs, all you need is full local access. Spoofing won't help you then.
    Originally posted by ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ To get the real MAC IDs, all you need is full local access. Spoofing won't help you then.

Originally posted by aldra what device are you talking about? they're typically written to ROM, drivers can just be programmed to ignore it

I'm not going to name the devices we build as it would obviously be divulging PI.

But, as the manufacturer we have a "backdoor" where we "program"/enter/change/ the MAC address via an RS232 connection and a "hidden" back door. The devices have NO hardware/software/anywhere MAC address on them till WE put them on there...anyone who had access to the backdoor could change that. The circuit board is our own design or own designed hardware and firmware.

Our devices are also used in Gov/military installations just as an FYI.

If you had one of our devices and I told you how to access it..you could change the ONLY MAC address on it to whatever you liked. We are not the only company in the world who programs MAC addresses this way.

Part of the reasoning for that ability to dynamically change the address was several of our customers request we use THEIR MAC addresses so in that instance we have to "reprogram" them using their MAC address vs ours....(you buy MAC addresses in like batches of 2k or something as I recall...last time I bought them we got a decades worth so that figure may have changed).

ETA: the first few hex blocks are the identifier of the MAC address owner (who bought that string of MAC addresses)...You'd basically just need to change those to whatever.... 00 20 E1 to 00 C3 F5...done..MAC address faked and untraceable.
Jump to Top