User Controls

What's the best crypto to mine on a raspberry pi???

AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    I was thinking mining Monero just for shits and giggles and learning how this whole crypto thing works.
    This is from a guy who wiped a drive with 6 bit coins on it back in the end of 2009 because I thought the whole thing was stupid.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    As a rule of thumb you want a powerful GPU to run crypto calculations. So if you're looking for an 'out of the box' solution rPi ain't it.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    a singular pi? maybe some no-name shitcoin if you just want to see how it works

I've seen people hook up hundreds of pis and use them as a farm but I don't think they're going to be anywhere near as power efficient as GPUs like soph said
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    https://monerobenchmarks.info/

A Raspberry Pi 4 can get about 100H/s.

My midrange desktop CPU is mining right now at 4,500H/s, so a Raspberry Pi is about 1/45th as powerful. Using NiceHash to simplify payouts, etc, I earn about 15c a day from my CPU mining, so with a Raspberry Pi 4 you would earn about 0.3c a day.
    Originally posted by Donald Trump I earn about 15c a day from my CPU mining

Gross or Net?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    Originally posted by Donald Trump https://monerobenchmarks.info/

A Raspberry Pi 4 can get about 100H/s.

My midrange desktop CPU is mining right now at 4,500H/s, so a Raspberry Pi is about 1/45th as powerful. Using NiceHash to simplify payouts, etc, I earn about 15c a day from my CPU mining, so with a Raspberry Pi 4 you would earn about 0.3c a day.

Ya that's what I thought I'm not going to do it to make money I just want to learn the whole process and not loose much when I fuck it up.
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson Gross or Net?

Yes, how much do you spend on electricity per day to make 0.15 per day?

Just curious.
    maddie Tuskegee Airman
    Originally posted by Obbe Yes, how much do you spend on electricity per day to make 0.15 per day?

Just curious.

im not sure if its possible, but could you possibly use a small solar panel to supply the energy that a raspi would take up mining? i find that the solar panel might not be sufficient enough though.
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    Originally posted by Obbe Yes, how much do you spend on electricity per day to make 0.15 per day?

Just curious.

About the same, but the waste heat keeps my feet cosy.

I have a GPU mining at the same time, that actually makes a little money. It consumes about the same electricity, but produces about 60c a day of etherium.

It's not much, but it adds up over the months. I just checked my NiceHash wallet, I have €99 of Bitcoin in it.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by maddie im not sure if its possible, but could you possibly use a small solar panel to supply the energy that a raspi would take up mining? i find that the solar panel might not be sufficient enough though.

I guess that all depends on how much power the device requires and how much power your solar panel can provide.

According to the internet, a computer typically uses an average off 200 Wh. 200 watts multiplied by 24 hours divided by 1000 multiplied by 365 days in the year equals 1752 kilowatt-hours (kWh). In the US, the average cost of electricity per kWh is around 13.31 cents, so 1752 multiplied by 13.31 comes to a cost of around $233 dollars to keep your computer powered on 24/7 for an entire year.

If you're only making $0.15 per day before deducting your costs, this will mean you've lost $178.25 over the course of the year.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by maddie im not sure if its possible, but could you possibly use a small solar panel to supply the energy that a raspi would take up mining? i find that the solar panel might not be sufficient enough though.

I got an rPi zero with two USB HATs, you know the little extension boards you can put on if you need something extra, and while an rPi zero is pretty smol and light in energy consumption compared to other models. I have a USB powerbank with a solar panel built in that'll last more than 24 hours on a sunny day running my rPi zero off of it. Like obbe mentioned though in order to find out for sure though you should probably calculate all the things.
    Originally posted by Obbe I guess that all depends on how much power the device requires and how much power your solar panel can provide.

According to the internet, a computer typically uses an average off 200 Wh. 200 watts multiplied by 24 hours divided by 1000 multiplied by 365 days in the year equals 1752 kilowatt-hours (kWh). In the US, the average cost of electricity per kWh is around 13.31 cents, so 1752 multiplied by 13.31 comes to a cost of around $233 dollars to keep your computer powered on 24/7 for an entire year.

If you're only making $0.15 per day before deducting your costs, this will mean you've lost $178.25 over the course of the year.

a mining rig will typically have at least one dedicated GPU so you're looking at a minimum of 500w

you could feasibly match it up to a solar system so that it runs completely off-grid but it wouldn't be cheap. I don't think you'd be able to recoup the setup cost with mining profits unless you got really lucky mining a shitcoin that gets memed to the moon
    Originally posted by aldra a mining rig will typically have at least one dedicated GPU so you're looking at a minimum of 500w

you could feasibly match it up to a solar system so that it runs completely off-grid but it wouldn't be cheap. I don't think you'd be able to recoup the setup cost with mining profits unless you got really lucky mining a shitcoin that gets memed to the moon

Doesn't seem worth it. Why do people do this?
    they don't. they'll usually tap into a power source they don't pay for, or in the case of massive mining farms (like the ones in China before it became ilegal) they'd often have individual agreements with the power reseller
Jump to Top