User Controls

CC info got stolen, anyone who's better with computers than me have any idea how?

A couple weeks ago, my girlfriend and I were dogsitting for a friend for 10 days. During this period we both made online purchases with our credit cards over their wifi. After we were done dogsitting, my girlfriend's card got charged from store in another state. She got an immediate email notification, and they cancelled the card and the charges. A couple days later, I had two charges that I didn't make appear on my statement. So I called the bank and had my shit cancelled.

At this point I realized it could be more than a coincidence, and we had both used that same wifi network to buy stuff (on different computers), so I sent a text to our friend warning here that there could be something fishy with her wifi, and she texted me back that her info got stolen as well. Now I think it is definitely not a coincidence, but I'm not sure exactly what is going on.

The only thing I can think of is that someone could be sitting outside with a laptop, or maybe a neighbor, that got onto the network and is using a packet sniffer and decrypting the info they get to steal the credit card information, but like I said I'm not too great with computers and stuff. Anyone got any ideas what's going on?
    arthur treacher African Astronaut
    this is why I only used prepaids to buy stuff online.

My retardation with computers causes me to take such measures.

I wish I knew enough to help, but I don't.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    There are multiple ways to accomplish this but if i were to do it i'd use malware that grabs all the PI i require right out of the browser before it gets encrypted. But since you mentioned different computers i'll assume you brought your own laptop when you made the order. If so, it does sound like someone is snooping on the traffic in question. But hey, what do i know.
    Helladamnleet African Astronaut [impartially tyrannize that lentinus]
    Originally posted by The Self Taught Man A couple weeks ago, my girlfriend and I were dogsitting for a friend for 10 days. During this period we both made online purchases with our credit cards over their wifi. After we were done dogsitting, my girlfriend's card got charged from store in another state. She got an immediate email notification, and they cancelled the card and the charges. A couple days later, I had two charges that I didn't make appear on my statement. So I called the bank and had my shit cancelled.

At this point I realized it could be more than a coincidence, and we had both used that same wifi network to buy stuff (on different computers), so I sent a text to our friend warning here that there could be something fishy with her wifi, and she texted me back that her info got stolen as well. Now I think it is definitely not a coincidence, but I'm not sure exactly what is going on.

The only thing I can think of is that someone could be sitting outside with a laptop, or maybe a neighbor, that got onto the network and is using a packet sniffer and decrypting the info they get to steal the credit card information, but like I said I'm not too great with computers and stuff. Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

More likely that they just left the default password that the cable company set which is usually the first two numbers of their address, their first name, the second two numbers, then their last name.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    I'm surprised that fake wifi networks aren't more of a thing yet, outside state actors.

I would bet OPs friends both used their CCs in the same restaurant or something like that.
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country I'm surprised that fake wifi networks aren't more of a thing yet, outside state actors.

I would bet OPs friends both used their CCs in the same restaurant or something like that.

That would be like shitting in the bowl you eat from

Or maybe shitting on the plate at the table where you eat
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by GGG That would be like shitting in the bowl you eat from

Or maybe shitting on the plate at the table where you eat

Happened to my mom at a local Chinese restaurant. The fucker who did it (who was Irish) got away with it AFAIK too.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Happened to my mom at a local Chinese restaurant. The fucker who did it (who was Irish) got away with it AFAIK too.

An Irish guy shat in your mother's bowl at a Chinese restaurant?
    Originally posted by GGG An Irish guy shat in your mother's bowl at a Chinese restaurant?
    No, she stole her CC number and CVV2 code, then used it to order stuff online.

She claimed the money back, so no worse off besides having to spend a few hours with the bank.

It's apparently very common.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country No, she stole her CC number and CVV2 code, then used it to order stuff online.

She claimed the money back, so no worse off besides having to spend a few hours with the bank.

It's apparently very common.

Well what kind of food was she eating?
    Originally posted by GGG Well what kind of food was she eating?

Beef satay with boiled rice.

I never liked the beef from Chinese restaurants.
    her bowl deserved to be shat in thanks
    Originally posted by GGG her bowl deserved to be shat in thanks

Yeah well deserves got nothing to do with it.
    i bet it was a jedi who shat in her bowl
Jump to Top