User Controls

Anyone ever have any luck fixing a gpu??

AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    Long story short my brothers pc had a gpu shit the bed and I would like to fix it.
    Lots of youtube vids with heat guns and WD 40 but does it work?
    if the problem can be fixed with reballing, then yes.
    Danged rusty graphics cards, gotta keep those darn things oiled up with double-ya-dee 40, I tell you whut.
    Depends what's wrong with it. Most I've ever done was attach a new heatsink and clean up a messy solder
    Yes, I fixed 2x Nvidio 9800 cards a few years ago by baking them in the oven. Someone gave me an Alienware computer because it didn't work, turned out to be the graphics cards (There were 2 of them in SLI mode) Both of them were "shot" as I tried them both individually.

Anyway I put them on tin foil in the oven on about 240F for 15-20 mins (can't remember exactly how long), I sat them on standoffs on the foil so the cards were not actually touching the foil/baking sheet..it fixed both, permanently too...well in that years later they are still working. Guess it reflowed the GPU...you have to be careful with the heat though because of plastic bits/connectors...take off any shrouds/fans etc before you try that. In my case the shroud was metal and I didn't take shit off it and it was ok...but still.
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson Yes, I fixed 2x Nvidio 9800 cards a few years ago by baking them in the oven. Someone gave me an Alienware computer because it didn't work, turned out to be the graphics cards (There were 2 of them in SLI mode) Both of them were "shot" as I tried them both individually.

Anyway I put them on tin foil in the oven on about 240F for 15-20 mins (can't remember exactly how long), I sat them on standoffs on the foil so the cards were not actually touching the foil/baking sheet..it fixed both, permanently too…well in that years later they are still working. Guess it reflowed the GPU…you have to be careful with the heat though because of plastic bits/connectors…take off any shrouds/fans etc before you try that. In my case the shroud was metal and I didn't take shit off it and it was ok…but still.

whats the melting point of soldering leads ?

how do you reflow if those soldering leads arent melted ?
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny whats the melting point of soldering leads ?

how do you reflow if those soldering leads arent melted ?

Solder melting point is normally much higher...340C or so is what I'm familiar with.

Dunno how/why it worked, but it worked. As I recall I googled it and watched some guy on youtube doing it...and just copied what he did...I was as surprised as anything when they both worked after.
    https://lifehacker.com/save-a-dying-video-card-with-a-quick-bake-in-the-oven-5823227

This guy says 385F.

It's been a good few years since I did it so I might be remembering the temp wrong.
    stl1 Cum Lickin' Fagit
    Speak English and use degrees Fahrenheit, dammit.

And, I always suspected Jiggles wore a tinfoil hat.

Also...Convert units

Temperature
    340 degrees Celsius
    =
    644 degrees Fahrenheit

THAT'S ONE DAMN HOT OVEN YA GOT THERE!
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson Solder melting point is normally much higher…340C or so is what I'm familiar with.

Dunno how/why it worked, but it worked. As I recall I googled it and watched some guy on youtube doing it…and just copied what he did…I was as surprised as anything when they both worked after.

either it worked because you lied, or because miracle happened.
    Speedy Parker Black Hole [my absentmindedly lachrymatory gazania]
    Originally posted by stl1 Speak English and use degrees Fahrenheit, dammit.

Also…Convert units

Temperature
    340 degrees Fahrenheit
    =
    644 degrees Celsius

I found your hat so relax Sally.

Originally posted by stl1 Speak English and use degrees Fahrenheit, dammit.

Also…Convert units

Temperature
    340 degrees Fahrenheit
    =
    644 degrees Celsius

340°F = 171.111°C

https://www.metric-conversions.org/temperature/fahrenheit-to-celsius.htm

My oven goes up to 500F I believe.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson

340°F = 171.111°C

i wanted to point it out just now but decided to let you have the honor of it.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny i wanted to point it out just now but decided to let you have the honor of it.

Thanks my nigga.
    Speedy Parker Black Hole [my absentmindedly lachrymatory gazania]
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson

340°F = 171.111°C

My oven goes up to 500F I believe.

He can't possibly be stupid enough to reply to now.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny either it worked because you lied, or because miracle happened.

Well I didn't lie, I might have been wrong on remembering the temperature though...perhaps the guide I was reading was 240C...not F. It's been 10yrs I bet since I did it.
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker He can't possibly be stupid enough to reply to now.

why not.

it didnt stop you.
    I don't know why STL even comes in this forum other than to see me.

He's about as technologically minded as a Kenyan living in a hut made out of mud and yak shit.
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson Well I didn't lie, I might have been wrong on remembering the temperature though…perhaps the guide I was reading was 240C…not F. It's been 10yrs I bet since I did it.

i know because sometime ago before trump era i was trying to revive my 2007 classic laptop.
    stl1 Cum Lickin' Fagit
    Yes he can!

I originally crossed the F and C when I pasted it because it came out all screwy when I copied and pasted it from the website because it was in a chart form but didn't transfer that way.

EXCUSE ME!!!
Jump to Top