User Controls

Help Me Recover/Find A Project

SBTlauien African Astronaut
    I started a little project and had around five or six files inside a folder(at least two were images), and somehow this folder went missing. What makes this stranger(for me) is that I have somewhat good at backing up my source code. I did have to run the program(which was written in Python and used Bash scripts) as root, so I am wondering if that has something to do with it.

This project was started on my old OS, which is on a secondary hdd in my PC(I install each new updated OS onto one of my two primary hdd in my PC, so that I still have a copy of my previous OS). I know for a fact that this project was started on that hdd but I can't find those files.

What type of forensics software could possibly pull up this stuff? I run Ubuntu.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    if you can remember a fairly unique keyword

grep -ril <keyword>

will bring it up. if it's been deleted maybe try recovering data with hddtest/photorec and then run the above on the recovered files
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Merlin Houston
    If you were always using root it's possible you had the entire project in your root users directory instead of the normal user. Check in "/root" for the files. I know I've done that before.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support

sudo find / -name [project]

And if you don't remeber the project name find all python file by using *.py as name, you can also pipe a grep to add a keyword.

sudo find / -name *.py | grep [partial/whole keyword]

That's how i do it at least.
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    I tried searching, and I tried a few tools but none worked. I'm assuming it's gone for good. ):
Jump to Top