User Controls

what the fuck is inflation

Rizzo in a box African Astronaut [the rapidly lightproof ovariectomy]
    honestly the more I look into it the more confused I become. ive looked into classic, neoclassical, marxist, neoliberal, austrian, whatever fucking economic theory you want and everytime I come out more confused as to just what inflation is and how it works, relative to money supply and supply of actual goods. I don't want to lay out a whole fucking thesis here, but the more I've read the less certain I am about what it is, what the effects are, how it happens, if its good or bad, and how one should think about it in relation to ones own money.

this is especially relevant to cryptocurrency discussions as those are inherently deflationary currencies, and the incentives that inflation vs deflation gives is very interesting. none of those things concern people that are balls deep in doge coin but you know who cares what exactly your monetary system is based on? as long as its based.
    its when the buying power of a dollar goes down like in runescape when 10,000 people use gold farming bots the prices of everything go up because there's so much money that the money becomes worth less and everyone buys all the twisted bows so the prices go up and stay up because there's so much money going around and the increase becomes the norm

Rizzo in a box African Astronaut [the rapidly lightproof ovariectomy]
    Originally posted by the man who put it in my hood its when the buying power of a dollar goes down like in runescape when 10,000 people use gold farming bots the prices of everything go up because there's so much money that the money becomes worth less and everyone buys all the twisted bows so the prices go up and stay up because there's so much money going around and the increase becomes the norm

thats literally not how it works at all though.
    Kev Space Nigga
    think of it like bringing 100 tons of gold from mars to earth and lets assume there was 100 tons of gold on earth.

now theres 200 tons so it is worth half as less, one gram of gold now buys you $30 worth of stuff instead of $60

printing money does the same thing, makes the existing money worth even less.

problem is, printing money is necessary because you have to incentivize people to spend and exchange to keep the economy going. when money is inflationary, it encourages spending because hoarding it makes no sense when it will be worth less next year.

deflationary currency is the opposite, it incentivizes saving because it will be worth more next year. but thats not why i use crypto, its more to do with freedom and privacy than economics.

crypto is like gold but without the drawbacks because there is plenty to go around unlike hard currencies which are limited and encourage hoarding.
    cigreting Dark Matter
    infl8in is wat hapen to me dik wen i c ur granps
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Narc Space Nigga [connect my yokel-like scolytidae]
    Supply and demand is also a big factor. When demand for certain goods increases, so does the value of said goods. This often has a knock on effect on other related goods and services, which then knock on to others. You can also find the effect can be seasonal or be caused by certain events. For example at Christmas demand for things like turkey or chocolate increases so prices increase. During a war weapons, fuel even boots are more in demand. So then demand for things like metal, leather, potassium etc increases. These all contribute to pushing up value of other things, including labor.

Cost of labor is also very significant. As prices rise people demand more so as to afford them(cost of living). A business has to consider the cost of labor when pricing their goods/services, and so prices are increased which in turn increases the cost of living so people demand more for their labor which in turn increases pricing, and so on and so on.

inflation is when you can no longer afford the things that you used to be able to.
    Originally posted by Kev think of it like bringing 100 tons of gold from mars to earth and lets assume there was 100 tons of gold on earth.

now theres 200 tons so it is worth half as less, one gram of gold now buys you $30 worth of stuff instead of $60

wrong. if it was elon must that brought back those gold and he keep them in his house the prices of gold will still remain the same.

printing money does the same thing, makes the existing money worth even less.

not always.

problem is, printing money is necessary because you have to incentivize people to spend and exchange to keep the economy going. when money is inflationary, it encourages spending because hoarding it makes no sense when it will be worth less next year.

wrong

deflationary currency is the opposite, it incentivizes saving because it will be worth more next year. but thats not why i use crypto, its more to do with freedom and privacy than economics.

more wrong.

crypto is like gold but without the drawbacks because there is plenty to go around unlike hard currencies which are limited and encourage hoarding.

if theres plenty of cryptos to go around it means its as valuable as sands.

Kev Space Nigga
    Originally posted by Narc As prices rise people demand more so as to afford them(cost of living).

no one gives a fuck what the people demand, wages have been stagnating for decades. people cant afford to demand better compensation because their job will be shipped overseas if they do.
    Up until a couple of decades ago, before mass importation was affordable, strikes were a common thing.

The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    more money means the money loses value
    Kev Space Nigga
    Originally posted by Narc Up until a couple of decades ago, before mass importation was affordable, strikes were a common thing.

yeah so dont say people are demanding better wages when you and me both know that nobody dares demand being properly compensated because they KNOW its not a fucking option. your boss owns you.
    Originally posted by Kev yeah so dont say people are demanding better wages when you and me both know that nobody dares demand being properly compensated because they KNOW its not a fucking option. your boss owns you.

Only in some fields, mostly unskilled.

Kev Space Nigga
    Originally posted by Narc Only in some fields, mostly unskilled.

unskilled workers are the majority of workers, idiot
    Originally posted by Kev unskilled workers are the majority of workers, idiot

No they're not

Idiot

Originally posted by Kev unskilled workers are the majority of workers, idiot

you must be living in the rustbelt redneck town.
    All i know is a 1br apt costs $1800 and selling heroin was much more conductive to my happiness in current economic NORMS etc etc
    RIPtotse victim of incest [my adversative decurved garbo]
    God damn move brah
Jump to Top