User Controls

holy fuck this game is legendary

Wariat Marine/Preteen Biologist
    one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life when it originally came out and i never beat it i remember getting to disc two. wow the remake looks amazing.

WellHung Black Hole
    Get drunk and fuck a slut. Get 'er done, Son.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I used to be friends with a guy who did a playthrough every week or so

always thought it was kind of overrated myself; I liked the psx Breath of Fire games better

speaking of I might download an emulator
    Clearly you've never played "Hide the sausage" or Carrier Command 2 (which came out yesterday).
    I got drunk and played hide the sausage once

it was at that same friend's house

I blacked out and totally forgot I did it; his girlfriend was complaining about the smell for weeks until he needed to print something out for uni, opened the printer and found half a sausage covered in maggots
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by aldra I got drunk and played hide the sausage once

it was at that same friend's house

I blacked out and totally forgot I did it; his girlfriend was complaining about the smell for weeks until he needed to print something out for uni, opened the printer and found half a sausage covered in maggots

Umm different game...you had me worried for the first part of that story when you said "he"
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    "carrier", "came out"

please insert GRIDS joke here I'm busy
    the thing that made ff7 legendary ahead of its time and a game thwt define a generwtion was how it truly was the first and imo still the only real rpg with adult mature themes, language sufh as barrot vuseing, and an overall aesthetic thwt brought this syle of game from dungeons and dragons to truly futuristic sci fi settings. eben the idea of the game or the plot regarding vital reosurces of the earth beind drained is relevant today just as when it came out and the game truly is legendary. even the music the small sound effects the train in the beginning sounding. stuff just gives me chills like few other games and no modern games do.
    RIPtotse victim of incest [my adversative decurved garbo]
    Ff7 8 and 9 are and always will be the best in the series
    Originally posted by Wariat the thing that made ff7 legendary ahead of its time and a game thwt define a generwtion was how it truly was the first and imo still the only real rpg with adult mature themes, language sufh as barrot vuseing, and an overall aesthetic thwt brought this syle of game from dungeons and dragons to truly futuristic sci fi settings. eben the idea of the game or the plot regarding vital reosurces of the earth beind drained is relevant today just as when it came out and the game truly is legendary. even the music the small sound effects the train in the beginning sounding. stuff just gives me chills like few other games and no modern games do.

Carrier Command was ahead of it's time in 1988 on the Amiga.

And now in 2021..

...also in VR.
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    I skipped around looking for when Aeris dies, but apparently FF7 Remake isn't a remake, it's a multi-part reimagining, so the japs introduced a load of new characters and faff and are going to release the game in about 70 different episodes.
    AngryIVer African Astronaut [my jade controlled morrigan]
    Originally posted by RIPtotse Ff7 8 and 9 are and always will be the best in the series

6 was great as well.

And Tactics.
    mmG African Astronaut
    Kill yourself
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Kill yourself
    just wait until he learns the remake is an action adventure game and not an RPG like the original
    holy fuck at 33;20 that talk by barrot and the music in baxkground those same old tunes just gives me fucking chills such nostalgia. one of the greatest gaming masterpieces of all time.
    ITS A REMAKE
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    FF7 has a special place in my heart, one of the first games I really got invested in. In retrospect though the gameplay is hot garbage (somewhat justifiable in the era, but no idea why anyone would want to play it a second time). I mean I still love it, but it's really hard to try and sell anyone on it who didn't play it as a kid.

Remake was... ok to good. Good balance of nostalgia gratification while keeping it different enough that I felt motivated to continue the story.

Gameplay was... well it was better than the original I guess. Kinda interesting in that it truly wasn't an easy game, most enemies posed a real threat, dodge windows weren't super generous, you have a limited ability to grind to make it easier. There were a couple of battles I had to replay several times to win, which I guess also is true to the original. My complaint is that it just never really felt good. Like you have to manage three characters but can only play as one at a time and can't direct them while you're not controlling them, so you basically are just rotating between them, doing some burst damage option, then letting them be run by the braindead AI while their abilities are on cooldown. I mean there is a strategy there, but it's like there's basically only one good strat, and it just never felt rewarding. No real creativity or ingenuity in builds, you don't really have to change up tactics for different enemies other than learning when to block. Resource management was similar, like you had to do it, it wasn't like you have effectively infinite stuff so you have to deploy some thought into it, but managing it well didn't feel rewarding, it was just kind of an ongoing minor anxiety.

I almost wish they had made it more braindead and power-fantasy-facilitating DMC style or something. At least then it would be fun fuck shit up between the cutscenes.
    This is like saying Karate Kid is the best movie ever...fucking lol.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Lanny FF7 has a special place in my heart, one of the first games I really got invested in. In retrospect though the gameplay is hot garbage (somewhat justifiable in the era, but no idea why anyone would want to play it a second time). I mean I still love it, but it's really hard to try and sell anyone on it who didn't play it as a kid.

Remake was… ok to good. Good balance of nostalgia gratification while keeping it different enough that I felt motivated to continue the story.

Gameplay was… well it was better than the original I guess. Kinda interesting in that it truly wasn't an easy game, most enemies posed a real threat, dodge windows weren't super generous, you have a limited ability to grind to make it easier. There were a couple of battles I had to replay several times to win, which I guess also is true to the original. My complaint is that it just never really felt good. Like you have to manage three characters but can only play as one at a time and can't direct them while you're not controlling them, so you basically are just rotating between them, doing some burst damage option, then letting them be run by the braindead AI while their abilities are on cooldown. I mean there is a strategy there, but it's like there's basically only one good strat, and it just never felt rewarding. No real creativity or ingenuity in builds, you don't really have to change up tactics for different enemies other than learning when to block. Resource management was similar, like you had to do it, it wasn't like you have effectively infinite stuff so you have to deploy some thought into it, but managing it well didn't feel rewarding, it was just kind of an ongoing minor anxiety.

I almost wish they had made it more braindead and power-fantasy-facilitating DMC style or something. At least then it would be fun fuck shit up between the cutscenes.

Yee blood. All of that fo sho.
Jump to Top