User Controls

Anyone know of any OSS Tools to assist in creating infra/ops/net Diagrams?

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    There are a couple of online once that are pretty good. But i'd like to have something on my box with which i can visualize, a certain type of network infrastructure, either for when i am building a complicated network and i need a concise representation of what i intend to build. Laying out an interaction tree between various components, or as simple as a flow chart to show which actions should be seen if the system that it pertains to is working.

Any of us here familiar with a good open source solution for drawing technical diagrams as it pertains to the stuff i just mention? Currently Running a heavily modified Debian distro. And i' love there to be a program to help me on that OS. However, i have access to most OS's so it is not essential

Anything you like to use in this regard?
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    see if https://app.diagrams.net/ does what you want it to

pretty sure CISCO still offers lunix packages for it's network diagram software too
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I usually just wing it with impress/powerpoint, which I don't feel too bad about because diagraming is something where 9 times out of 10 I'd rather just have a written description of in a readme or something, and is only occasionally helpful on top of that written description whereas lot of people I interact with seem to think diagrams are _the_ central output of a design process.

The logic there is that the main things I'm looking for in a design are 1. what are the pieces I'm working with 2. how do they interact with each other (as in the mechanism of communication, _when_ does communication occur, and _what_ data is communicated vs. inferred/retrieved from elsewhere) and most importantly 3. why is it like this. A diagram does a good job of 1. and partially answers 2. but gives no info about why a design is the way that it is, which is kind of the whole point of designing in advance, and doesn't tell you anything about the actual content of intra-component communication which is probably the single most useful piece of information when you're trying to use a design to reason about how to extend an existing implementation. Plain old text and maybe snippets from some schema format communicate all of this info trivially.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by Lanny I usually just wing it with impress/powerpoint, which I don't feel too bad about because diagraming is something where 9 times out of 10 I'd rather just have a written description of in a readme or something, and is only occasionally helpful on top of that written description whereas lot of people I interact with seem to think diagrams are _the_ central output of a design process.

The logic there is that the main things I'm looking for in a design are 1. what are the pieces I'm working with 2. how do they interact with each other (as in the mechanism of communication, _when_ does communication occur, and _what_ data is communicated vs. inferred/retrieved from elsewhere) and most importantly 3. why is it like this. A diagram does a good job of 1. and partially answers 2. but gives no info about why a design is the way that it is, which is kind of the whole point of designing in advance, and doesn't tell you anything about the actual content of intra-component communication which is probably the single most useful piece of information when you're trying to use a design to reason about how to extend an existing implementation. Plain old text and maybe snippets from some schema format communicate all of this info trivially.

Thanks, i am kind of looking for a solution that allows me to visualize/express stuff in a way that you are describing for myself, so i get template or blueprint if you will, for myself. What you are talking about would be good for my personal use. However i'd also like to be able to visualize a design for any client that may be less technically inclined than i am. Basically i'd design a network, and keep a version of the schematics/diagram for myself for internal use and i would like to be able to express that design more visually for external use, in order for any potential client to get a clear picture of what it is exactly that i'd propose building for them. Know what i mean?

Any advice in that regard?
Jump to Top