By Jeff Olson
The main themes I noticed in theSlight Edge
are;* If you aren't going up, you're going down
The idea is that you are only able to move towards
your dreams, or drift away from them. Become happier or become less happy etc. There is no staying afloat or riding in the middle - you're moving one direction or the other. The good news is that it's easy to succeed, the bad news is it's also just as easy to fail.
MY NAME JEFF! figures that 95 percent of us are on the path to failure, and the remaining 5% are on the path to success. And the reason some people are successful is because they are willing to do what those who are failing are not willing to do. ( But don't let that scare you, succeeding is simple - you just have to do is... )* "Do the thing, and you shall have the power."
All you have to do is take meaningful action every day.. That's something that most people don't do. " Successful people are those who understand that the little choices they make matter. " The point is that being effective and successful is the sum of a bunch of small and daily decisions to work toward your goal, just as easily you can neglect to make the good choices and ride the path to failure. I didn't take many good notes on this point but I should have. But basically..
What you do today matters.
What you do everyday matters.
Those little things that will make you successful in life, that will secure your health, your happiness, your fulfillment, your dreams, are simple, subtle, mundane things that nobody will see, nobody will applaud, nobody will even notice. Those are the things that, at the time you do them, often feel like they make absolutely no difference.
Anyway he uses a lot of little analogies or fables about water hyacinths which are a beautiful flower that grow on a pond - and he uses them as an example of exponential growth/compound interest.
And there were two frogs, they were brothers and they leapt into a bucket of milk and thought it was super delicious. then they were full and said OH SHIT WERE FUCKED cause they couldn't jump out. they swam and swam and one of the frogs got tired and said fuck this shit dude theres no escape from this bucket - so he straight up gave up and drowned. the other frog was sad as hell but he perserveered because he had faith. well eventually he felt something solid under his feat that he could kick against to jump out of the bucket. he had churned butter. so dont be a quitter bitch.
Another thing he goes on about a lot is that we already know the right things to do - they are the things that brought us success already. the problem is we think once we achieve something that were good to chill-down now , but thats bad thinking because when you stop you are actually moving backwards. anyway he says the specific actions to take aren't the thing for him to cram down your throat , its gonna be different for everyone based on their goals and dreams anyway.
but the trick is your PHILOSOPHY which is the view you have of the world, and your place in it. so you gotta tune up your philosophy, bigly.
I didn't take as good of notes on this book as I did on EAT THAT FROG!
because I was trying to finish the book more quicklier. But it's hella more good than i'm explaining it. if anyone wants to read it lemme know and ill buy you a copy.
i think if i was gonna distill it down.. It's about staying positive, living in today vs the past ( using the past only to learn from your mistakes but not dwelling on it, and living in today as in today you need to make meaningful action on your goals and dreams ) , tuning up your philosophy so you will actually do the things you probably already know that you should be doing , dont stand still or youre a loser beta cuck but you might not realize it for 20yrs or you can be successful its up to you dude and uhh, the power of habits and how to form good habits and get rid of shitty ones and training you're subconscious mind to put your shit on autopilot so its second nature.
i put my own BS spin on some of what he said so don't let me taint your inclination toward the book