User Controls

So, who wants to help me build my son a PC for around $750?

HampTheToker African Astronaut
    If I can't do better, then I'm going to buy him this Oculus ready PC from Best Buy. I prefer an Intel CPU, but I'm not totally opposed to an AMD processor if it runs most games without issue. I've got about a month before I'm ready to drop some cash one way or the other, so give me some suggestions, fam. What would you build (or buy) for $750?
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    You should buy me that PC instead and yeah. I'd totally appreciate it more.
    bling bling Dark Matter
    750 lol
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Are including a new monitor/peripherals in that budget? Are there any parts you're reusing from a prior PC? What you don't have to pay for makes a big difference in how you should distribute your spending.
    Get a bunch of flashing lights and shit.

Post last edited by SCronaldo_J_Trump at 2017-01-12T04:02:04.336470+00:00
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Can confirm ^

I have blue leds and you will get frostbite if you touch my case for more than a second or so.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Last build I did I vowed to not buy any product that came with aesthetic LEDs. It was a good decision.
    I'm about to start a build in the same price range for my sim racing rig

My computer can't even run a race in gtr2 without massive framerate drops
    Originally posted by mmQ You should buy me that PC instead and yeah. I'd totally appreciate it more.

I don't know, man. This kid is dying for a gaming rig. Can't say I blame him. Our current desktop is ridiculously outdated and not worth upgrading.

Originally posted by bling bling 750 lol

I haven't decided on an Oculus or a Vive yet. How many 7 year-olds do you know that have either?
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    Fuck children, they won’t properly appreciate it.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by Malice Fuck children

Yes!
    Originally posted by Lanny Are including a new monitor/peripherals in that budget? Are there any parts you're reusing from a prior PC? What you don't have to pay for makes a big difference in how you should distribute your spending.

I'm not really concerned with peripherals at the moment. I've got a decent monitor, keyboard, and mouse that'll do until I decide to replace them with something better. My focus is strictly on a desktop.

$750 isn't a hard limit, but I don't want to go much higher than that. I can always upgrade later. Besides, it's for a 7 year-old. I want him to have nice things and all, but I'm not trying to put the kid in front of a supercomputer. As long as it's VR capable and can run most games without a hitch, then I'll be happy.
    Originally posted by Malice Fuck children, they won’t properly appreciate it.

I doubt that. He's a gamer for sure. I think he'd appreciate it just fine.

Originally posted by Sophie Yes!

This fucking guy.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Well, when IIIII was 7 we didn't have PEE-CEES. We had to play tag and red flag touch girls in the bushes. If it was too shitty to go outside we had to go outside anyway. Any electronic gaming was done on the Socrates gaming system.

We ate shit for breakfast and shit for dinner. Going on vacation meant being sent to Uncle Kevin's farm to pick weeds for 14 hours a day. If we acted up we got the scalding hot wire coat hanger treatment. We were allowed one phone call a day and it had to be our grandmother.

Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by HampTheToker I'm not really concerned with peripherals at the moment. I've got a decent monitor, keyboard, and mouse that'll do until I decide to replace them with something better. My focus is strictly on a desktop.

$750 isn't a hard limit, but I don't want to go much higher than that. I can always upgrade later. Besides, it's for a 7 year-old. I want him to have nice things and all, but I'm not trying to put the kid in front of a supercomputer. As long as it's VR capable and can run most games without a hitch, then I'll be happy.

So the standard rule of thumb is to go *roughly* a quarter of your budget on the CPU, a quarter on the GPU, and half on the rest of your shit. As you scale up the GPU and CPU budget grow towards like 80% at the high-high end. You want to spend a little bit more on your GPU than CPU if you're building it to play video games. Going with an i5 processor and gtx 1060/1070 would probably be in the price range you're looking for.

At your price point you're never realistically going to need an i7, and an i3 would occasionally bottleneck, so pick an i5 that makes the price and ratios right. Then get the standard jazz for the rest and whatever's left dump into the best GPU by benchmark you can find. VRAM is slightly more important relative to clock speed/core count today than in days gone by but benchmarks capture this and most other relevant facts.

Just dump whatever's left on the best graphics
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    How about...

You buy your son a Chromebook and teach him to Skype with me. Buy me the expensive PC and I will use my original laptop to Skype so he can watch me play games. You don't want to overwhelm him at such a young age so it's best if he learns from me and I can teach him everything.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by Lanny So the standard rule of thumb is to go *roughly* a quarter of your budget on the CPU, a quarter on the GPU, and half on the rest of your shit. As you scale up the GPU and CPU budget grow towards like 80% at the high-high end. You want to spend a little bit more on your GPU than CPU if you're building it to play video games. Going with an i5 processor and gtx 1060/1070 would probably be in the price range you're looking for.

At your price point you're never realistically going to need an i7, and an i3 would occasionally bottleneck, so pick an i5 that makes the price and ratios right. Then get the standard jazz for the rest and whatever's left dump into the best GPU by benchmark you can find. VRAM is slightly more important relative to clock speed/core count today than in days gone by but benchmarks capture this and most other relevant facts.

Just dump whatever's left on the best graphics

Great post. It's good to see that my amateur ass was on the right track.

Best place to shop besides Newegg?
    Originally posted by mmQ How about…

You buy your son a Chromebook and teach him to Skype with me. Buy me the expensive PC and I will use my original laptop to Skype so he can watch me play games. You don't want to overwhelm him at such a young age so it's best if he learns from me and I can teach him everything.

Thank you.

YouTube beat you to it. He's tired of watching videos about all these games that he can't play.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING jediTUBE. Cucked again. Fuck me.
    Originally posted by mmQ FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING jediTUBE. Cucked again. Fuck me.

Be careful what you wish for.
Jump to Top