User Controls

Anybody make Mead?

I've been making wine for a few years now and I can make a decent semi sweet wine. Lately I've added some honey into and I love the result so I want to make mead now. Anybody have any experience making wine or mead?
    I have lots of wine experience but I dunno how to make mead. Isn't it like, honey beer?.
    Yeah I don't know what the alcohol content is but basically you use honey instead of sugar to make alcohol.
    Oh well I have lots of beer making experience. Just buy a beer kit at the store and yeah replace sugar with honey, makes sense
    It's pretty easy. I think you just heat a gallon of distilled water up until it's warm add like 4 bottles of honey and yeast and bottle it with a balloon on it for 14 days.

I think it's done fermenting after that. You're supposed to enhancement out the yeast and let it age after that but you can just drink it. It's cloudy. It's supposed to get clear if you let it age long enough but I never did. The alcohol percent is supposed to be about like wine I think.
    Making alcohol was my first chemistry experiment

At the ripe old age of 14 I bought a half gallon of apple juice (can't have any preservatives), a pound of sugar and three packets of yeast

I drank a pint or two, then added a couple cups of sugar and a packet of yeast, shook for five minutes and attached a sandwich bag over the mouth of the bottle with a rubber band (DON'T SHAKE AGAIN AFTER THIS)

A few times a day I would squeeze the air out of the bag, and at the end of the week (3 days is enough if you're impatient) you have a nice hard cider

I thought it was great tasting but none of my friends liked it

Post last edited by Hash Slinging Slasher at 2017-02-10T12:08:33.094802+00:00
    Originally posted by Hash Slinging Slasher Making alcohol was my first chemistry experiment

At the ripe old age of 14 I bought a half gallon of apple juice (can't have any preservatives), a pound of sugar and three packets of yeast

I drank a pint or two, then added a couple cups of sugar and a packet of yeast, and attached a sandwich bag over the mouth of the bottle with a rubber band, and shook for five minutes (DON'T SHAKE AGAIN AFTER THIS)

A few times a day I would squeeze the air out of the bag, and at the end of the week (3 days is enough if you're impatient) you have a nice hard cider

I thought it was great tasting but none of my friends liked it

same, but my first experiment was putting ajax in my mom's coffee when i was 8, wasn't trying to hurt her i just thought it would be cool she got rly sick
Jump to Top