2021-04-21 at 7:55 AM UTC
Just sharing this because I thought it was interesting - I've been under the impression it's impossible to set up a burner phone number without identification but it turns out you can.
1. Get some cash. Up to you to do that anonymously.
2. Go to Coles and buy a Vanilla Visa (I'd suggest at least $50 so you can recharge the SIM several times) and a $2 Lebara SIM, paying in cash. If you're feeling paranoid about CCTV cameras, congratulations: it's still COVID season, you can wear a mask.
3. Set up a throwaway email address, e.g. ProtonMail, that you can use when activating.
4. Go to the Lebara activation page. They don't block TOR, so ideally you should use that to avoid creating obvious links between you and the account. Sign up using a fake name, fake address and your throwaway email - avoid stupid or creative names, just make up something boring.
5. When asked to verify your identity, there should be an option to verify via credit card. Use your Vanilla Visa and the fake name you've picked.
6. Select a plan. Their cheapest is $14.90 a month, and will auto-recharge until your card runs out of credit. You can always add a new prepaid visa if you need.
7. Remember, your location is relatively traceable via cell towers, so remove the SIM (or deactivate it if you trust your phone) when you're not using it.
8. Don't use this number to do anything illegal, that would be morally wrong.
The following users say it would be alright if the author of this
post didn't die in a fire!
2021-04-21 at 8:07 AM UTC
JIDF Controlled Opposition
most of the big ones ask for a license/ID number when you register, though I don't think they're able to actually check them aside from whether they conform to the algorithm
2021-04-21 at 8:20 AM UTC
I expect they just store them for auditing/regulatory purposes. Also heard that Vanilla Visas don't work 100% of the time for identity verification, but worked for me
2021-04-27 at 10:58 PM UTC
Here in the states, you can pay cash at the store. No id needed.
I wonder if this will change.
2021-04-29 at 1:40 AM UTC
[my hereto riemannian peach]
Protonmail is of no more use. When I needed AUS numbers I'd just spoof using fone apps and ring. I remember I had a harder time getting SMS' but this method works for that. Thank you, this is good info and the type of shit this community is built on
2021-07-12 at 2:48 AM UTC
You can't verify with a credit card in my experience, you need a government issued ID. Google around, you'll find a few uploaded. Use them and you're all good.
Text now & use a vpn = profit