User Controls

Homopolar motor

Kuntzschutz African Astronaut

so simple but so cool
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Didn't read. The homopolar didn't happen, it's just anti-Stalinist propaganda. Stalin couldn't control the weather. It was all greedy kulaks hoarding supplies and regular old drought.
    Originally posted by Meikai Didn't read. The homopolar didn't happen, it's just anti-Stalinist propaganda. Stalin couldn't control the weather. It was all greedy kulaks hoarding supplies and regular old drought.

cool...

i plan on using it to trip a reed switch connected to a steup transformer and capacitor/rotor/stator combo with a voltage multiplier to get dc arcs for lighting my weed when it's windy outside, among other things
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Originally posted by Kuntzschutz cool…

i plan on using it to trip a reed switch connected to a steup transformer and capacitor/rotor/stator combo with a voltage multiplier to get dc arcs for lighting my weed when it's windy outside, among other things

[I'm obviously not smort, but I'll bite.]

Sounds like a neat project. Where does the homopolar motor come into play though? Like wouldn't you just use a magnet to trip the reed switch? Don't see how spinning some copper wire around a AA battery is going to be particularly helpful with an arc generator. Gonna use the magnetic field in the wire to trip the switch so you get repeated intermittent arcing or what?
    Bugz Space Nigga
    OK now make a car.
    Originally posted by Meikai [I'm obviously not smort, but I'll bite.]

Sounds like a neat project. Where does the homopolar motor come into play though? Like wouldn't you just use a magnet to trip the reed switch? Don't see how spinning some copper wire around a AA battery is going to be particularly helpful with an arc generator. Gonna use the magnetic field in the wire to trip the switch so you get repeated intermittent arcing or what?

i dunno gay people are supposedly above average and you seem pretty smart... i think this is probably not something that will be interesting to the majority of this site, we all hav different interests. i just can't sleep and im bored. i only researced homopolar generators for the past several years, never homopolar motors, till today by accident.

i just figured i could make a crude arc lighter by attaching a magnet to the wire so the magnet spins with it, and have the reed switch above that, so it autmatically pulses on and off as the magntetic field moves in and out of range of the switch as it spins.

probably going to use a cockcroft walton multiplier to turn another double a battery into a 9 or so volt, and use that to feed the switch/transformer with 40 gauge magnet wire.

i have a more advanced design that's similar, but this one is quicker to make, could make a nice gift for stoners or cigarette smokers
    Originally posted by Bugz OK now make a car.

apparently some people do use them for propulsion, usually the disk type, just picture the wire as a disk, or connecting to one.
    oh darn, meikai has a good point, maybe the field in the wire will be enough to trip the reed switch without a magnet.

hmmm

EDIT; the 2800(under 3000 is the legal limit) volt output will be AC from the transformer, that'll feed to a diode so it turns into dc rather than ac, cause i suspect that'll ignite things easier
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Originally posted by Kuntzschutz i dunno gay people are supposedly above average and you seem pretty smart… i think this is probably not something that will be interesting to the majority of this site, we all hav different interests. i just can't sleep and im bored. i only researced homopolar generators for the past several years, never homopolar motors, till today by accident.

i just figured i could make a crude arc lighter by attaching a magnet to the wire so the magnet spins with it, and have the reed switch above that, so it autmatically pulses on and off as the magntetic field moves in and out of range of the switch as it spins.

probably going to use a cockcroft walton multiplier to turn another double a battery into a 9 or so volt, and use that to feed the switch/transformer with 40 gauge magnet wire.

i have a more advanced design that's similar, but this one is quicker to make, could make a nice gift for stoners or cigarette smokers

Would you even need a magnet attached to the wire? The motor turns by inducing a magnetic field of... some strength... in the wire itself, neh? I'm not even remotely knowledgeable about this stuff. Legit proud of myself for even figuring out you might wanna use the motion of the motor to make it pulse haha. If you end up making it you should post a vid of it in action or something.
    Originally posted by Meikai Would you even need a magnet attached to the wire? The motor turns by inducing a magnetic field of… some strength… in the wire itself, neh? I'm not even remotely knowledgeable about this stuff. Legit proud of myself for even figuring out you might wanna use the motion of the motor to make it pulse haha. If you end up making it you should post a vid of it in action or something.

you're right, i ad completely forgot the field in the wire itself may be enough to trip the reed switch(they don't normally take much to trip) but maybe not also... since making an electromagnet with a AA battery produces an extremely weak field without a ferrous core for increased inductance (usually a bolt sized core is required to get a decent field strength).

i'll have to test it and find out. but yeah i'll post a video. i have all the components. just need to melt-cast some stylish protective cases for them once i get them working
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Lanny⠀ Yung Blood
    Originally posted by Meikai Didn't read. The homopolar didn't happen, it's just anti-Stalinist propaganda. Stalin couldn't control the weather. It was all greedy kulaks hoarding supplies and regular old drought.

This comment is an underappreciated masterpiece. Your wit never ceases to amaze me. You are an inspiration to us all.
    drink some more vermouth you drunk fuck
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by Lanny⠀ This comment is an underappreciated masterpiece. Your wit never ceases to amaze me. You are an inspiration to us all.

There is one imposter Among Us.
    Lanny⠀ Yung Blood
    Originally posted by Sophie There is one imposter Among Us.

What do you mean, fellow programmer? I am 100% being the authentic Lanny that you are familiar with. I am even having the PGP signature to prove this, yes?
    Your non printable character is showing. Well, for me. Also, i don't think you know how PGP works.
    Lanny⠀ Yung Blood
    Originally posted by Sophie Your non printable character is showing. Well, for me. Also, i don't think you know how PGP works.

Sounds like a client-side issue. There are no non-printable characters here. I am the Lanny we all know and love. I am the Lanny that Lalas crave. Yes, that Lanny. The one and only. I was just testing you. Obviously I know how PGP works. Very clever. I am a programmer after all. PGP is in my blood, as they say.
    Originally posted by Lanny⠀
    Sounds like a client-side issue. There are no non-printable characters here. I am the Lanny we all know and love. I am the Lanny that Lalas crave. Yes, that Lanny. The one and only. I was just testing you. Obviously I know how PGP works. Very clever. I am a programmer after all. PGP is in my blood, as they say.

It's a client side issue in the sense that it's a problem for you that i can see non-printable characters. Next time try homoglyph.
    Lanny⠀ Yung Blood
    Originally posted by Sophie Next time try homoglyph.

Sounds gay, old friend. I don't know if I'm open to that kind of experimentation.
    Originally posted by Lanny⠀
    Sounds gay, old friend. I don't know if I'm open to that kind of experimentation.

Just look into it, if you want to be more convincing in the future.
Jump to Top