User Controls

strategies for navigating the bloated web

netstat African Astronaut
    so we're all aware by now that the modern web is a heaping pile of trash: many websites are not functional at all without allowing hundreds of thousands of lines of javascript to run in your browser, which is a risk to both security and privacy, and greatly reduces web performance/increases resource consumption.

10-15 years ago most scripts on websites were tens to hundreds of lines long and it was easy to block them across the board with noscript, then manually inspect and whitelist any that you wanted to allow. this is no longer possible/practical to do since scripts have become orders of magnitude more complex, numerous and layered. manually skimming the script code to look for signs of jediery just can't be done and the average website loads so many of them that even blind whitelisting of individual domains with noscript has become a giant pain in the dick. i found myself often just getting frustrated and whitelisting all domains on a given page, which defeats the purpose of using noscript. in my effort to balance security and privacy with functionality i had to completely change my approach.

i'm now using ublock origin, which has multiple blocking 'modes': 'easy' where it just blocks content based on an adblock plus style blacklist, 'medium' where it combines easy mode with blocking all third party scripts, and 'hard' where it combines easy and medium modes with blocking all first party scripts. the extension allows you to configure a keyboard shortcut to temporarily step down the blocking mode for a particular site, so i have it configured to use hard mode by default on all sites, which allows no scripts to run. if a site is broken by this (>50% are in my experience), i hit the shortcut and first party scripts are whitelisted. if this doesn't unbreak the site, i either leave because it's trash or if it doesn't seem too sketchy, reduce the block mode by another step so only known advertising, tracking and malicious domains are blocked. it's not perfect and less granular and secure/private than my previous noscript approach was, but far less frustrating when dealing with the bloated monstrosity the web has become.

how do the other privacy/security conscious users of T&T deal with these issues? strict blocking? saying fuck it and just opening up your browser to the full ZOG onslaught because the semites have made it too cumbersome to do anything else? discuss
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    uBlock origin stole functionality from NoScript. They had to admit to that in some github drama. I got the author's dox and website if you like. They don't realize how fucked they are.
    rabbitweed African Astronaut
    Privacy Badger is another good one. It blocks google analytics and the like - which may not sound like much but a lot of sites have *several* different analytic services.

I'm not against javascript - fuck knows I've written enough of it - but in recent years people have really started taking the piss. I might play around with a JS blocking plugin with a blacklist/whitelist. If your site behaves well, you can run some JS.
    kyli0x Yung Blood
    if you are using firefox, and would like to turn off WebRTC open the about:config and change the value:

media.peerconnection.enabled true

to

media.peerconnection.enabled false
Jump to Top