User Controls

What are the chances of Biden starting a major war immediately after taking office?

  1. #1
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    A common enemy would be the most effective way to subdue the current partisan and ideological conflict, but the US has just about run out of countries it can safely attack.
  2. #2
    Donald Trump Tuskegee Airman
    Originally posted by aldra A common enemy would be the most effective way to subdue the current partisan and ideological conflict, but the US has just about run out of countries it can safely attack.

    Internal enemies.

    I've been wondering myself what the media are going to scare us with once Corona stops being even plausibly scary. They need something, because income inequality has been pushed up past 11 over the last few months. Some people assume that once Corona goes away we will have a massive economic recovery and things will go back to normal. I don't assume that. In fact I expect we'll see inflation start up again.

    We've started taking our cues from 20th Century Communism recently - the media will blame all our problems, from climate change to structural homelessness to unemployment, on wreckers and racists. The current sense of hostile urgency you find in the media will only accelerate as life gets harder.

    The best thing about internal enemies is that that they are just like sin. War on racism. Just like drugs, you can fight against it forever. There is no victory to be had. That suits those in need of a career.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  3. #3
    Sudo Naturally Camouflaged [my hereto riemannian peach]
    Originally posted by aldra A common enemy would be the most effective way to subdue the current partisan and ideological conflict, but the US has just about run out of countries it can safely attack.

    Why can't they enforce the Monroe Doctrine in Venezuela again? Partisan and ideological conflict domestically can be remedied by rebuilding institutions and faith in government that his predecessors (including himself) eroded.
  4. #4
    Donald Trump Tuskegee Airman
    Originally posted by Sudo Why can't they enforce the Monroe Doctrine in Venezuela again? Partisan and ideological conflict domestically can be remedied by rebuilding institutions and faith in government that his predecessors (including himself) eroded.

    We don't want Venezuela's oil flooding the market. The situation suits us.
  5. #5
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Sudo Why can't they enforce the Monroe Doctrine in Venezuela again? Partisan and ideological conflict domestically can be remedied by rebuilding institutions and faith in government that his predecessors (including himself) eroded.

    they already failed hard with the retarded Guano gambit and haven't even been able to stop their oil trade with China and Iran. without a full-scale war using the military (which is dangerous for all sorts of other reasons), the US simply doesn't have the juice they did in South America that they did back in the Pinochet days
  6. #6
    rabbitweed African Astronaut
    Originally posted by aldra they already failed hard with the retarded Guano gambit and haven't even been able to stop their oil trade with China and Iran. without a full-scale war using the military (which is dangerous for all sorts of other reasons), the US simply doesn't have the juice they did in South America that they did back in the Pinochet days

    The CIAs involvement in Chile is really overblown, the idea that he was a CIA puppet is largely a left wing meme. Allende was far more under the influence of the KGB than Pinochet was under the CIA.
  7. #7
    Donald Trump Tuskegee Airman
    Pinochet was beholden to finance capitalism. Not the CIA.
  8. #8
    Sudo Naturally Camouflaged [my hereto riemannian peach]
    The US definitely fucked the shit out of Nicaragua though and with Ortega back in power it makes it difficult. They would need more regional allies and they don't really have any right now. Trump really made people lose respect for America and not feel the need to help them with anything logistically. Fuck was Trump ever shit at diplomacy. Maybe the worst in history.

    Biden obviously will not do anything right away at this moment, there is too much to figure out again and damage to undo first. Definitely won't happen anytime soon, if at all, without a good reason
  9. #9
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    yeah I don't know about that in detail

    was just pointing out that they'd already tried and failed to bring Venezuela 'under control', and while they may still be able to do it it'd require a much larger and riskier commitment. Open war is an option given the US' massive military superiority but the leftists on the ground are popular and imposing a new government at gunpoint is not going to change their minds, plus the conflict would rapidly turn into a testing ground for newish Russian and Chinese weapons right near the US border
  10. #10
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Sudo Biden obviously will not do anything right away at this moment, there is too much to figure out again and damage to undo first. Definitely won't happen anytime soon, if at all, without a good reason

    Large portions of the country will be federally ungovernable; even if they don't directly rebel around HALF of US citizens believe the election was illegitimate. If this (foreign war) is the course of action they decide on it will happen fast.

    Keep in mind that Biden himself isn't so much a leader as he is a cloak of legitimacy; the people that have been making the decisions have been doing so for a long time and getting rid of Trump just gives them a free hand
  11. #11
    Donald Trump Tuskegee Airman
    Originally posted by Sudo The US definitely fucked the shit out of Nicaragua though and with Ortega back in power it makes it difficult. They would need more regional allies and they don't really have any right now. Trump really made people lose respect for America and not feel the need to help them with anything logistically. Fuck was Trump ever shit at diplomacy. Maybe the worst in history.

    Biden obviously will not do anything right away at this moment, there is too much to figure out again and damage to undo first. Definitely won't happen anytime soon, if at all, without a good reason

    You speak in such generalisations, can you provide a "for instance"?
  12. #12
    mashlehash victim of incest [my perspicuously dependant flavourlessness]
    Dismay?
  13. #13
    Sudo Naturally Camouflaged [my hereto riemannian peach]
    Originally posted by aldra yeah I don't know about that in detail

    was just pointing out that they'd already tried and failed to bring Venezuela 'under control', and while they may still be able to do it it'd require a much larger and riskier commitment. Open war is an option given the US' massive military superiority but the leftists on the ground are popular and imposing a new government at gunpoint is not going to change their minds, plus the conflict would rapidly turn into a testing ground for newish Russian and Chinese weapons right near the US border

    maduro just got a tighter hold on the parliamentary system in December, really a forceful takeover is the only way to oust him when he has the support of the military and tbh, most of the populace. Juan Guido is a whiney weirdo who really isn't that popular, they need someone else to get behind, he's not becoming a folk hero to the Venezuelans, he's like Alexy Namsov or whatever in Russia who's controlled opposition. Venezuela doesn't have a terrible military either.

    Trump was stupid AF to pull out of Afghanistan too, Afghanistan is where the US can hang out, build infrastructure with cushy domestic contracts and have a "generation kill" program to keep its COD playing soldiers battle ready for whenever shit pops off. Instead they have failed dialogue with the locals because they didn't care to learn and understand the nuances of the region, then tried to train a whole new army based on American principles. This is just one of the failed strategies. They need to keep it going to have a forward operating base against Iran too. Fuck is Trump ever stupid. No one who voted for him knows anything about foreign policy or they wouldn't have voted for him. Sorry just can't get over it.
  14. #14
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by mashlehash Dismay?

    Euro Dismayland
  15. #15
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Sudo Trump was stupid AF to pull out of Afghanistan too, Afghanistan is where the US can hang out, build infrastructure with cushy domestic contracts and have a "generation kill" program to keep its COD playing soldiers battle ready for whenever shit pops off. Instead they have failed dialogue with the locals because they didn't care to learn and understand the nuances of the region, then tried to train a whole new army based on American principles. This is just one of the failed strategies. They need to keep it going to have a forward operating base against Iran too. Fuck is Trump ever stupid. No one who voted for him knows anything about foreign policy or they wouldn't have voted for him. Sorry just can't get over it.

    He's the first president since who, Carter? who hasn't started a war, so he's still the less-worse option in terms of foreign policy.

    Maybe if Afghanistan was handled differently from early on we wouldn't be in this mess, but there's no solution to be had there now. Pulling out is the pragmatic option, and even though Trump tried he got cockblocked hard by the joint chiefs so it was more of a reshuffle than a withdrawal.
  16. #16
    Donald Trump Tuskegee Airman
    Originally posted by Sudo maduro just got a tighter hold on the parliamentary system in December, really a forceful takeover is the only way to oust him when he has the support of the military and tbh, most of the populace. Juan Guido is a whiney weirdo who really isn't that popular, they need someone else to get behind, he's not becoming a folk hero to the Venezuelans, he's like Alexy Namsov or whatever in Russia who's controlled opposition. Venezuela doesn't have a terrible military either.

    Trump was stupid AF to pull out of Afghanistan too, Afghanistan is where the US can hang out, build infrastructure with cushy domestic contracts and have a "generation kill" program to keep its COD playing soldiers battle ready for whenever shit pops off. Instead they have failed dialogue with the locals because they didn't care to learn and understand the nuances of the region, then tried to train a whole new army based on American principles. This is just one of the failed strategies. They need to keep it going to have a forward operating base against Iran too. Fuck is Trump ever stupid. No one who voted for him knows anything about foreign policy or they wouldn't have voted for him. Sorry just can't get over it.


    Sorry sudo, but you don't make a very convincing case for any of your positions.

    The only thing the average American knows about foreign policy is that they want to not have any military entanglements. Every Presidential election they vote for whoever promises to end the empire, bring the troops home, and end mass immigration. People who think that they are sophisticated think it proves that the average American is ignorant about foreign policy. Actually what it shows it that the average American understands foreign policy with perfect lucidity, and doesn't see any value in paying and possibly dying for an empire that they hate and that hates them.
  17. #17
    Sudo Naturally Camouflaged [my hereto riemannian peach]
    Originally posted by aldra Large portions of the country will be federally ungovernable; even if they don't directly rebel around HALF of US citizens believe the election was illegitimate. If this (foreign war) is the course of action they decide on it will happen fast.

    Keep in mind that Biden himself isn't so much a leader as he is a cloak of legitimacy; the people that have been making the decisions have been doing so for a long time and getting rid of Trump just gives them a free hand

    What? HALF of US citizens don't believe the election was illegitimate. This is something I found on the subject and over 60% still seems pretty low. This was in December too when emotions were higher

    https://www.npr.org/2020/12/09/944685514/most-americans-believe-the-election-results-some-dont

    Here's another that says 73%

    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/526464-half-of-republicans-in-new-poll-say-rigged-election-was-stolen-from-trump

    the 30% of retards falls in line with his former "base" who are now without and M to their S and M relationship with the sometimes billionaire daughter fucker.

    It won't happen fast. I will bet on it. Biden is no more a cloak of legitimacy than any other president and he's a puppet just like everyone else. Biden has the house, senate and oval office, he can push a lot of things through to consolidate power and reform things that were changed over the last few years. I know it's classic 1984 style politics but Biden has to raise the US's international standing, reach out to their traditional allies and undue some of the damage before doing anything so potentially dangerous to his presidency, the US and the world. Won't happen quickly mark my words.



    Originally posted by Donald Trump Pinochet was beholden to finance capitalism. Not the CIA.

    They US literally deployed Milton Freidman, their top shekel instructor.

    Originally posted by Donald Trump You speak in such generalisations, can you provide a "for instance"?

    What's a "for instance" in this situation? We're talking about a hypothetical future situation
  18. #18
    rabbitweed African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Sudo They US literally deployed Milton Freidman, their top shekel instructor.

    Source that the US 'deployed' him?

    AFAIK he was invited to Chile, and he went. Probably because they were going to pay him a lot of money.

    He was also invited to China in the late 80s.
  19. #19
    Donald Trump Tuskegee Airman
    I don't even follow you.

    The US election election was dodgy, do you agree?

    "The US" deployed Milton Friedman? The same way the US controls Israel?

    A for instance I would like is how Trump was bad at diplomacy. Other than just the assertion, follow it up with an example.

    You come across as an otherwise bright person that gets their information from CBC or Time magazine or something.
  20. #20
    Sudo Naturally Camouflaged [my hereto riemannian peach]
    Originally posted by aldra He's the first president since who, Carter? who hasn't started a war, so he's still the less-worse option in terms of foreign policy.

    Maybe if Afghanistan was handled differently from early on we wouldn't be in this mess, but there's no solution to be had there now. Pulling out is the pragmatic option, and even though Trump tried he got cockblocked hard by the joint chiefs so it was more of a reshuffle than a withdrawal.

    I guess it depends how you look at it. Carter did some shit in South America too, Trump has definitely been peaceful as fuck for all his "fire and fury." I don't necessarily think declaring a war to be necessarily bad but influencing a regime change in place of war is obviously better. Pulling out of Afghanistan this late makes it a big L, there are definitely reasons to stay and reasons to go. To leave would definitely be to the Taliban's benefit which is ooga booga scary to most people but they are really only threats domestically.



    Originally posted by Donald Trump Sorry sudo, but you don't make a very convincing case for any of your positions.

    The only thing the average American knows about foreign policy is that they want to not have any military entanglements. Every Presidential election they vote for whoever promises to end the empire, bring the troops home, and end mass immigration. People who think that they are sophisticated think it proves that the average American is ignorant about foreign policy. Actually what it shows it that the average American understands foreign policy with perfect lucidity, and doesn't see any value in paying and possibly dying for an empire that they hate and that hates them.

    What even is this post? A European talking about the average american mind like he actually has a clue? Trump went into the office knowing nothing of foreign policy and to me, that isn't something I look for in a president. Thankfully disasters were averted so I am grateful there were other heads in the room
Jump to Top