User Controls

Poll: fona trek wat u fink?

I'm going to move somewhere where there's no local jobs

rabbitweed African Astronaut
    I've been working remotely since april, two different clients, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Probably.
    I pay $1450 USD a month to live in a tiny one bedroom place in the middle of the city with a bunch of smoking niggers as neighbours.

I could use that money and live in a nice house in the country with no crime or diversity and just smell cow shit instead.

Of course there's no work out there.

Hopefully the Rona will continue to go from strength to strength so there will be more remote work.
    Robert Mugabe African Astronaut
    Good, you can swap paedophillia for beastiality.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I managed to take a big city job remote to one of the least expensive corners of the US and it’s been pretty dope so far. Paying significantly less on a mortgage for a 4 bed 3 bath place than I did in rent for a studio. Will say that my employer did try to fuck me on comp, but I narrowly lucked out of that. If you can make it work it makes a lot of sense.

You’re freelancing right? How do you acquire clients? If it used to be in person then I’d be worried about the remote thing, but if you usually drum up work via internet then it seems pretty reasonable to move.
    Originally posted by Lanny I managed to take a big city job remote to one of the least expensive corners of the US and it’s been pretty dope so far. Paying significantly less on a mortgage for a 4 bed 3 bath place than I did in rent for a studio. Will say that my employer did try to fuck me on comp, but I narrowly lucked out of that. If you can make it work it makes a lot of sense.

You went and got a mortgage? Damn you went all in. Reckon you could find more remote work if you got fired?

Originally posted by Lanny You’re freelancing right? How do you acquire clients? If it used to be in person then I’d be worried about the remote thing, but if you usually drum up work via internet then it seems pretty reasonable to move.

I found this client purely online. We've never met. We had some mutual professional acquaintances though, so that helped.

I just wonder if I can pull the same trick if everyone gets vaccinated though.

Ah well fuck it I'll just waste thousands of dollars moving back to the city if worst comes to worst.
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Didn't you get this shitty tiny place specifically for social connections from trade conventions since it was super close to the convention center or something? As long as covid is happening it probably does make a lot of sense to move somewhere more affordable, if you aren't really reaping the only benefit you intended to reap from living there. Ye.

Could you sublet the place you're at now so you hold onto the lease for when it becomes more sensible to start living there again? I dunno how that'd work but it seems the location was advantageous and it'd suck if the world was back to normal in 6 months and you couldn't conveniently start that plan back up. Even if you couldn't move back in immediately, it'd save you from having to find a similar spot. :/
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Meikai Didn't you get this shitty tiny place specifically for social connections from trade conventions since it was super close to the convention center or something? As long as covid is happening it probably does make a lot of sense to move somewhere more affordable, if you aren't really reaping the only benefit you intended to reap from living there. Ye.

Could you sublet the place you're at now so you hold onto the lease for when it becomes more sensible to start living there again? I dunno how that'd work but it seems the location was advantageous and it'd suck if the world was back to normal in 6 months and you couldn't conveniently start that plan back up. Even if you couldn't move back in immediately, it'd save you from having to find a similar spot. :/

Yeah I moved to the biggest city as that's where I figured 'the action' was. Meeting the right people, opportunity, money etc.

I'm now coming to realize that all of that isn't even in this country. And if I have to stay here due to coof, why not at least stay somewhere nicer and cheaper.

But yeah not sure how shit will go down when we are all vaccinated.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by rabbitweed I found this client purely online. We've never met. We had some mutual professional acquaintances though, so that helped.

you should use some of the money you saved to pay tweakers to spread this gay virus so the gay lockdowns never end
    blaster master victim of incest
    Originally posted by blaster master Aka moved in with Fralala in rural West Virginia.

Cool. Trump Country. Jealous.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by rabbitweed You went and got a mortgage? Damn you went all in. Reckon you could find more remote work if you got fired?

Yeah, on paper at least property is a pretty good investment if only because it’s one you can pay for with what would otherwise be rent. It was just never reasonable because the cost is entry was absurdly high in SF.

Re: Finding more remote work, probably, I picked up this gig because I was specifically looking for something remote and lots of companies were open to remote work even pre-COVID (well “lots” here meaning about half the places that didn’t explicitly mention it on the ad and which I got to a phone screen on) but it did take about 3 months of looking to find somewhere that checked all the boxes and wanted to hire me. Places are overflowing with remote work now but it wasn’t bad before either. So I’m pretty confident I could find more work if I lost this gig but I wouldn’t expect it to happen fast.

I found this client purely online. We've never met. We had some mutual professional acquaintances though, so that helped.

Ah well fuck it I'll just waste thousands of dollars moving back to the city if worst comes to worst.

I’d be nervous about it if you need to continuously find new clients. But I mean I’d be nervous about freelancing in general because I hate job hunting and negotiation and it sort of seems like that’s half the gig. If I were you I’d probably tough it out and see if you can pull off the full remote client acquisition a few more times, but that’s just me.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Fonaplats victim of incest [daylong jump-start that nome]
    Originally posted by Lanny Yeah, on paper at least property is a pretty good investment if only because it’s one you can pay for with what would otherwise be rent. It was just never reasonable because the cost is entry was absurdly high in SF.

Re: Finding more remote work, probably, I picked up this gig because I was specifically looking for something remote and lots of companies were open to remote work even pre-COVID (well “lots” here meaning about half the places that didn’t explicitly mention it on the ad and which I got to a phone screen on) but it did take about 3 months of looking to find somewhere that checked all the boxes and wanted to hire me. Places are overflowing with remote work now but it wasn’t bad before either. So I’m pretty confident I could find more work if I lost this gig but I wouldn’t expect it to happen fast.

I’d be nervous about it if you need to continuously find new clients. But I mean I’d be nervous about freelancing in general because I hate job hunting and negotiation and it sort of seems like that’s half the gig. If I were you I’d probably tough it out and see if you can pull off the full remote client acquisition a few more times, but that’s just me.

PUSSY ASS BITCH!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    I gotta house in the country with hillbilly neighbors and millionaire neighbors. My mortgage is 43% of what my last rent was (although it has electrical heating which is costly this winter) and although one of my vehicles is a gas guzzler, I don't mind it. I can basically sub contract much of the winter and not have to lift a finger unless I feel like it. So I'm just hangin out bein lazy in the country saving money instead of stressing and getting ripped off by a slumlord in the inner city surrounded by people I don't need to know.

Really this is the best thing to do kiwi. Now is a good time to get property. If you get left behind you are a loser
    Originally posted by Sudo I gotta house in the country with hillbilly neighbors and millionaire neighbors. My mortgage is 43% of what my last rent was (although it has electrical heating which is costly this winter) and although one of my vehicles is a gas guzzler, I don't mind it. I can basically sub contract much of the winter and not have to lift a finger unless I feel like it. So I'm just hangin out bein lazy in the country saving money instead of stressing and getting ripped off by a slumlord in the inner city surrounded by people I don't need to know.

Really this is the best thing to do kiwi. Now is a good time to get property. If you get left behind you are a loser

There's a big housing bubble here, and the quality is very low - far below north american standards.

I could buy, but it'd be something expensive & mediocre that would need a lot of work so Fona didn't laugh at me.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by rabbitweed There's a big housing bubble here, and the quality is very low - far below north american standards.

Part of it is the tax situation, with income tax being what it is, ever rising property values, and the way profit on the sale of real-estate is handled, property is a pretty tax-efficient investment there as long as you can dodge the "purchased with the intent to sale" thing. It's sort of a similar issue in the US with a 250k exemption on gains made from the sale of a primary residence, but our capital gains tax rate is lower for anyone it matters to than personal income so it makes money markets relatively more attractive to individuals. In NZ anyone with two bucks to spare tends to throw it at property and they're usually not dumb for doing it.

Construction quality is pretty shitty tho TBH. Never really understood why other than the cost of construction labor being way higher than in the US. Are there like no building codes or what?
    BeeReBuddy motherfucker [pimp your due marabout]
    Originally posted by Lanny Part of it is the tax situation, with income tax being what it is, ever rising property values, and the way profit on the sale of real-estate is handled, property is a pretty tax-efficient investment there as long as you can dodge the "purchased with the intent to sale" thing. It's sort of a similar issue in the US with a 250k exemption on gains made from the sale of a primary residence, but our capital gains tax rate is lower for anyone it matters to than personal income so it makes money markets relatively more attractive to individuals. In NZ anyone with two bucks to spare tends to throw it at property and they're usually not dumb for doing it.

Construction quality is pretty shitty tho TBH. Never really understood why other than the cost of construction labor being way higher than in the US. Are there like no building codes or what?

Approve the submitted code please.
    Originally posted by Lanny Part of it is the tax situation, with income tax being what it is, ever rising property values, and the way profit on the sale of real-estate is handled, property is a pretty tax-efficient investment there as long as you can dodge the "purchased with the intent to sale" thing. It's sort of a similar issue in the US with a 250k exemption on gains made from the sale of a primary residence, but our capital gains tax rate is lower for anyone it matters to than personal income so it makes money markets relatively more attractive to individuals. In NZ anyone with two bucks to spare tends to throw it at property and they're usually not dumb for doing it.

There are building codes it's just lower. It's also very expensive to get building consent - Australian labour is a lot more expensive, but it's actually cheaper to build a house there than here.

https://www.realestate.co.nz/3893908/residential/sale/287-dmillars-road-ponatahi-carterton

This is the cheapest freehold house with no occupancy limits in the entire country. They want offers of $79,000 USD and above.

It doesn't have running water.
Jump to Top