User Controls

Oh boy. 1 billion user accounts compromised in latest Yahoo hack.

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    The DB traders are going to have a field day with this.

Yahoo needs to step their game up, this is embarrassing.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/12/yahoo-reveals-1-billion-more-accounts-exposed-and-some-code-may-have-been-stolen/

Top lol.
    Ha oh and yeah they used MD5 to hash passwords.

aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    lel

serves them right for using yahoo though; I wasn't aware they still existed

fuck I remember those old yahooligans ads
    Originally posted by aldra lel

serves them right for using yahoo though; I wasn't aware they still existed

fuck I remember those old yahooligans ads

Pretty much. Also, doesn't micrococks own Yahoo these days? I don't even know.
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    Tsk, plebeians.
    Merlin Houston
    Originally posted by Sophie Pretty much. Also, doesn't micrococks own Yahoo these days? I don't even know.

They are (maybe now were) in the process of getting bought by Verizon for $4 billion. The only reason they are still alive is because they own quite a bit of Alibaba stock.
    When companies start doing SJW crap take your money and run fast and far away.
    Originally posted by Merlin They are (maybe now were) in the process of getting bought by Verizon for $4 billion. The only reason they are still alive is because they own quite a bit of Alibaba stock.
    When companies start doing SJW crap take your money and run fast and far away.

Oh yeah, i think Verizon came out with a statement as well.
    Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    By the way, this hack occurred in 2013. They're just finally admitting it. Niggas be acting like their lives are all the sudden at risk.
    HampTheToker African Astronaut
    Yahoo fucked up big.
    Originally posted by Ajax By the way, this hack occurred in 2013. They're just finally admitting it. Niggas be acting like their lives are all the sudden at risk.

This one is new, the old hack exposed 400 mil accounts.
    HampTheToker African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Sophie This one is new, the old hack exposed 400 mil accounts.

At least I didn't change my password for nothing.
    Originally posted by Sophie This one is new, the old hack exposed 400 mil accounts.

Nope. The article you posted even said it happened in 2013. Right there in the second sentence.

They announced on Thursday, September 22nd, 2016, that info for over 500 million users got stolen in 2014.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/technology/yahoo-hackers.html

On Wednesday, December 14th, 2016, they disclosed that a different attack in 2013 comprised more than 1 billion accounts.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/technology/yahoo-hack.amp.html

Post last edited by Ajax at 2016-12-16T04:18:47.033672+00:00
    Originally posted by Ajax Nope. The article you posted even said it happened in 2013. Right there in the second sentence.

They announced on Thursday, September 22nd, 2016, that info for over 500 million users got stolen in 2014.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/technology/yahoo-hackers.html

On Wednesday, December 14th, 2016, they disclosed that a different attack in 2013 comprised more than 1 billion accounts.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/technology/yahoo-hack.amp.html

Post last edited by Ajax at 2016-12-16T04:18:47.033672+00:00

Ahh my bad.
    Merlin Houston
    Originally posted by Ajax yahoo_fucked_up.jpg

To their credit they would have run Google into the ground as well making it a wasted million dollars.
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Originally posted by Sophie Ha oh and yeah they used MD5 to hash

Lol I don't even know what this means but I laugh 'cause Ownage Pranks always uses that line during IT pranks.
    Merlin Houston
    Originally posted by Open Your Mind Lol I don't even know what this means but I laugh 'cause Ownage Pranks always uses that line during IT pranks.

MDMA plus hash is superior.
    How is it even possible to have any of your information on YAHOO lol is this 2003?.
    I remember my first GeoCities website... and the simulated keyboard clicks on Yahoo Messenger. They would be completely irrelevant if Apple's default Stocks app on iOS didn't use Yahoo!'s stock info. That, and the people who search on there who think they're sticking it to the man by not using Google or Microsoft.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Open Your Mind Lol I don't even know what this means but I laugh 'cause Ownage Pranks always uses that line during IT pranks.

a hashing algorithm is meant to generate a unique value based on something else, in this case yahoo was saving the hash of a person's password rather than the password itself, so if their DB gets stolen all they have are the hashes, not the actual passwords.

MD5 has several weaknesses though, most notable the ability to create collisions on demand (a matter of minutes on a normal computer). it's completely feasible to reverse an MD5 hash and get the original password, completely undermining the point of using hashes in the first place
Jump to Top