User Controls

selling a (really shitty) website

Merlin Houston
    I made a website in node just for kicks and with the thought if I got traffic make some extra money.
    Now I'm sick of it and don't want to bother supporting it, but it seems a waste to just tear it down completely. The first iteration is deployed and I started working on a second version which would have moved a bunch of management tasks onto an admin panel. Right now it relies on a bunch of scripts to either scrape the information for a brand new page or scrape information to update pages. (Scrape isn't really the right word I am allowed to query this resource I'm getting data from).

The front end looks good, so whats the tech version of "as seen as sold"? I don't mind providing a text file explaining the management scripts (I already did this for myself). I absolutely don't want some fucker complaining that it's not what they expected etc. etc. Assuming that it won't be a top coder buying.

And will anyone even buy it without current revenue? I'm thinking ~$200 factoring in it's not a brand new domain anymore and ~10 views a day. How realistic is this? And no I'm not posting it here.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    200 Bucks sounds pretty steep to me. Especially considering everyone and their mom can just get a domain for a couple of bucks, slap on some shitty CMS and call it a day.
    Merlin Houston
    Originally posted by Sophie 200 Bucks sounds pretty steep to me. Especially considering everyone and their mom can just get a domain for a couple of bucks, slap on some shitty CMS and call it a day.

Yeah that's a problem although the front end has some nifty features that would at the very least involve tracking down a ton of wordpress plugins. As it is now, it's a working site that will continuosly update without user intervention. Maybe I can sell it with the VPS so I don't need to worry about finding someone capable of redeploying on linux. That would expand the customer base a good bit to include people who are too lazy to make their own site.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    You're not going to get $200 for a site with 10 views per day and no revenue model, unfortunately. It would probably take more time to find a buyer than would justify selling it.

You can resell the domain, there are a lot of sites that let you list it, you can usually find a buyer if you keep dropping until you find someone who wants it.

If you think it will naturally accrete traffic over time and don't mind paying domain renewal you could slap it up on GAE or heroku or AWS, they all have a free tier, and just sit on it. Or you could scrap it.
    ILL TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Jump to Top