User Controls

Kenya discovers that not giving a shit about Corona works just as well as anything else

Soyboy 2020 IV: Intravenous Soyposting African Astronaut [scrub the quick-drying deinonychus]
    "People have realised you don't die, so are not coming out if (they have) symptoms. They prefer to stay home until it's a severe case," says Jeremy Gitau, who coordinates the response team at Covid-19 at Kenyatta Hospital.

"(The) number of infections are high, but people requiring admission? No."

Kenya has recorded about 700 deaths from Covid-19, and only a small number of positive cases have evolved into a severe form of the disease.

The overwhelming majority of cases in Kenya – 93 percent, according to the health ministry in August – are asymptomatic.

The 50-million strong population is also young: just 2.4 percent of Kenyans are aged above 65, according to World Bank data from 2019.

The total number of tests has also plummeted from around 8,000 per day in July to around 3,000 today.

Joanne Hassan, a microbiologist from the state-run Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), said they tested as few as 200 per day now compared to highs of 3000 in July-August.

"The country may never actually know that it is experiencing a second wave until 2-4 weeks into the second wave, by which time the infection would have extensively spread," Kalebi, of Lancet, said.
    https://www.news24.com/news24/africa/news/as-lockdown-eases-kenyan-doctors-warn-covid-still-lurking-20201002

It's clear that Corona has evolved into a milder form to that seen earlier this year in Iran, Spain and Italy. It's also clear that Western governments have no intention of allowing access to the vaccines anytime soon. In this context caring about it anymore may simply be counterproductive.
    Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    Could be that the key factor is the part about the median age of their citizens.

I know Italy was said to have a lot if old people, not sure about Spain and Persia.

I should look up on Sweden. I know they were taking a very hands off approach initially. Check the numbers, see if they got more restrictive.

Best answer will come in a couple years, when all the differing strategies, demographics, wealth in a word the variables can be compared and evaluated.
    Soyboy 2020 IV: Intravenous Soyposting African Astronaut [scrub the quick-drying deinonychus]
    Originally posted by Nil Could be that the key factor is the part about the median age of their citizens.

I know Italy was said to have a lot if old people, not sure about Spain and Persia.

I should look up on Sweden. I know they were taking a very hands off approach initially. Check the numbers, see if they got more restrictive.

Best answer will come in a couple years, when all the differing strategies, demographics, wealth in a word the variables can be compared and evaluated.

Italy, Spain and Iran still have lots of old people. Evidence suggests that the virus evolved to not kill the host.
    cigreting Dark Matter
    2.4% are older than 65 😂
Jump to Top