User Controls

Post your rig

zok jr. Houston
    Tell us about your main rig! What do you run? what do you like/hate about it?

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5620 (Quad core with HT @2.4GHz) overclocked @4GHz with dual Noctua NH-U12P for cooling.
    MOBO: EVGA Classified SR2
    RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
    VIDEO: Sapphire Radeon R9 290x 4gb still kickin it
    DISK: 4x Samsung 500gb 850 evo RAID 0 array, 2x 2TB WD Green for archive
    CASE: Some gigantic Lian-Li monstrosity on wheels
    PERIPHERALS: 2x Samsung U28E590D 4k 28" and a piece of shit Vizio 50" 1080p TV. Logitech G502 mouse, Velocifire VM-1 keyboard and some Logitech 5.1 speakers/Corsair H2100 headset for gaming.

I like this system its a few years old but still a beast I game and render video and do 3D modelling and everything on this rig and it handles everything easily. The one complaint is that the EVGA SR2 board is a piece of shit. I understand its like a custom proprietary crazy board for extreme gaming and power or whatever but it is just something that shouldn't have gone to market. The enhanced SATA controlle3r can suck a dick, too.
    Been doing everything on laptops for the past several years. My last desktop has been relegated to file server duties. Currently have a couple chinkpads for daily use.
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by inb4l0pht Been doing everything on laptops for the past several years. My last desktop has been relegated to file server duties. Currently have a couple chinkpads for daily use.

Laptop specs?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Damn son, that's kind of excessive for a multiple year old build. How do you blow that much money on a build and only just buy your first mechanical keyboard?

Shitposting/contracting computer (early 2016 MBP):
    CPU: i7 @ 2.2 GHz
    RAM: 16GB @ 1600 DDR3
    GPU: Intel Iris Pro, 1546MB
    DISK: 256GB SSD
    MONITORS: Pair of 27" thunderbolt displays

Gaymen PC:
    CPU: i5 6500
    RAM: 8GB @ 2400 DDR4
    GPU: GTX 1060, 4GB
    DISK: 256 Samsung Evo, 1TB WD Blue
    MONITOR: Shitty 27" 1080 workstation monitor I've been dragging around for years

Considering upgrading to a newer monitor for games, not sure if the high refresh rate meme is worth it or not.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    MY rig is a little out dated by now, but here are the specs.

CPU: AMD FX-8020 octocore @4Ghz, got a big ass fan as well so i could OC to 4.5 without much trouble.
    MOBO: I don't remember.
    RAM: 16GB DDR3
    VIDEO: Sapphire Radeon 7880 2Gb, Mem clock at 5Ghz, GPU at 1200Mhz
    Disk: 1x 120Gb SSD, 1x 2Tb HDD.
    CASE: Sharkoon, with blue led fans. 180mm on the front 120mm on the bottom and 80mm on the back.
    Originally posted by zok jr. Laptop specs?

T460s has a dual core i5 (skylake), 20GB RAM, 512GB SSD, integrated graphics, 1080p display. I carry this around pretty much everywhere as it's the smallest and lightest computer I've ever owned. W520 has a quad core i7 (sandy bridge), quadro 1000M, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD and 2TB HDD, 1080p display. It's honestly still pretty good as a mobile workstation, though the graphics are weak by modern standards. Can compile a Linux kernel in about 20 minutes and run multiple VMs easily.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    What do you think of the X line?
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition

mini-itx build I put together literally 2 weeks ago

CPU: i5/6400 with Corsair sealed watercooling system
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170N (wifi)
    RAM: 16GB Corsair 3000mhz fancy LED shit
    GPU: nvidia/leadtek GTX 1070 founders/reference edition
    PSU: Corsair RM550x modular
    Harddrives: 1x 500gb samsung 850 EVO, 1x 500gb SATA mech drive (got both from broken machines at work)

also got a Zenbook UX303U with upgraded RAM + SSD I mostly use for work
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Lanny What do you think of the X line?

I somewhat regret getting the T460s over the X1 carbon. Would've had a thinner/lighter machine and better display with roughly the same battery life and a similar feeling keyboard.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    ^^ Nice build mang, nice build
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by inb4l0pht I somewhat regret getting the T460s over the X1 carbon. Would've had a thinner machine and better display with roughly the same battery life and a similar feeling keyboard.

Hey, an actually reasonable response from a thinkpad user, that's unusual. I know a lot of /g/tards who have such a hardon for the oldish Ts that they even shit on the X line. I mean I've bought apple for a while but I can totally get the appeal of thinkpads, but denial of what's basically the high end of the thinkpad line because it's too mac-like is just fanaticism.
    Originally posted by Lanny Hey, an actually reasonable response from a thinkpad user, that's unusual. I know a lot of /g/tards who have such a hardon for the oldish Ts that they even shit on the X line. I mean I've bought apple for a while but I can totally get the appeal of thinkpads, but denial of what's basically the high end of the thinkpad line because it's too mac-like is just fanaticism.

I've taken quite a bit of shit for suggesting to /g/ types that the new ones are better. Most of these people are autistic to the point that they're willing to boycott any thinkpad made in the last 5 years because Lenovo changed the keyboard layout and removed the separate volume buttons. I'm no fan of these changes either but other enhancements and the progression of hardware technologies far outweigh them.
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by Lanny Damn son, that's kind of excessive for a multiple year old build. How do you blow that much money on a build and only just buy your first mechanical keyboard?

Shitposting/contracting computer (early 2016 MBP):
    CPU: i7 @ 2.2 GHz
    RAM: 16GB @ 1600 DDR3
    GPU: Intel Iris Pro, 1546MB
    DISK: 256GB SSD
    MONITORS: Pair of 27" thunderbolt displays

Gaymen PC:
    CPU: i5 6500
    RAM: 8GB @ 2400 DDR4
    GPU: GTX 1060, 4GB
    DISK: 256 Samsung Evo, 1TB WD Blue
    MONITOR: Shitty 27" 1080 workstation monitor I've been dragging around for years

Considering upgrading to a newer monitor for games, not sure if the high refresh rate meme is worth it or not.
    I was making enough money at the time to not care about blowing $600 on a mobo alone I guess lol. I really didn't see the advantages of mechanical keyboards until recently tbh idk why. I am about to do a new build though not sure what I will do but it will probably be a lil cheaper since I am a poor student now. Then again aid disbursement is mid January.

Originally posted by Sophie MY rig is a little out dated by now, but here are the specs.

CPU: AMD FX-8020 octocore @4Ghz, got a big ass fan as well so i could OC to 4.5 without much trouble.
    MOBO: I don't remember.
    RAM: 16GB DDR3
    VIDEO: Sapphire Radeon 7880 2Gb, Mem clock at 5Ghz, GPU at 1200Mhz
    Disk: 1x 120Gb SSD, 1x 2Tb HDD.
    CASE: Sharkoon, with blue led fans. 180mm on the front 120mm on the bottom and 80mm on the back.
    Ah AMD CPUs you fell so far from grace. I have great hope for the new Zen architecture I might base my next build on that depending on if they turn out to be actually good or not.

Also 80mm fan? lol is that actually a thing?

Originally posted by inb4l0pht T460s has a dual core i5 (skylake), 20GB RAM, 512GB SSD, integrated graphics, 1080p display. I carry this around pretty much everywhere as it's the smallest and lightest computer I've ever owned. W520 has a quad core i7 (sandy bridge), quadro 1000M, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD and 2TB HDD, 1080p display. It's honestly still pretty good as a mobile workstation, though the graphics are weak by modern standards. Can compile a Linux kernel in about 20 minutes and run multiple VMs easily.
    20GB ram?? That is weird what do you have 3 slots and 8GB x2 and 1x 4GB SODIMMS in there? like how does that work?

Originally posted by aldra

mini-itx build I put together literally 2 weeks ago

CPU: i5/6400 with Corsair sealed watercooling system
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170N (wifi)
    RAM: 16GB Corsair 3000mhz fancy LED shit
    GPU: nvidia/leadtek GTX 1070 founders/reference edition
    PSU: Corsair RM550x modular
    Harddrives: 1x 500gb samsung 850 EVO, 1x 500gb SATA mech drive (got both from broken machines at work)

also got a Zenbook UX303U with upgraded RAM + SSD I mostly use for work
    Cooooool RAM I like it. LED everything I say. Also I had that same cooler on an i5 4690k build I had a while back but sold it cause my old bitch was more powerful and sexy but I hate her and lover her fucking weird builds man its like a child you love and hate.

Also what is that weird thing in the basement with audio jacks on it?

Originally posted by inb4l0pht I somewhat regret getting the T460s over the X1 carbon. Would've had a thinner/lighter machine and better display with roughly the same battery life and a similar feeling keyboard.
    For some reason I have an x1 carbon 256gb SSD on my desk that has been sitting here for ages I guess I was drunk when I acquired it and idk why but its here. There use some weird proprietary PCIe style so its worthless to me and IDK what to do with it.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I just put together the PC build I listed (had the parts but hadn't assembled them). Playing KF2 with hardware accelerated gibs on, it's pretty hilarious. I didn't realize I was missing out on this dimension of the game:

zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by Lanny I just put together the PC build I listed (had the parts but hadn't assembled them). Playing KF2 with hardware accelerated gibs on, it's pretty hilarious. I didn't realize I was missing out on this dimension of the game:

Hey that game looks pretty neat
    This thread makes me want to put together a 6700K/1070 build over the holidays. Oh it is tempting...
    On second thought I'll probably go with a 6500 and 1060 to save some cash.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    IBM ThinkCentre 8135 dual-CPU 3ghz w/1 gig DDR RAM, onboard Intel 128mb graphic accelarator, WinXP, DVD R/W, 120gb harddrive.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by zok jr. Also what is that weird thing in the basement with audio jacks on it?

that's a USB soundcard, initially got it for use with the laptop. Asus Xonar I think.

For some reason I have an x1 carbon 256gb SSD on my desk that has been sitting here for ages I guess I was drunk when I acquired it and idk why but its here. There use some weird proprietary PCIe style so its worthless to me and IDK what to do with it.

take a photo of the connector - it's probably MSATA or similar, you should be able to stick it in other laptops.

Originally posted by SCronaldo_J_Trump

was waiting for this
Jump to Top