User Controls

Crippling alcoholics thread

zok jr. Houston
    I almost didn't want to make this thread here as it is not technically better living but who else here is an alky? I guess I am a functioning one I don't drink until 8pm most nights but when I do I usually polish off about an eighth of whiskey, neat.

What is your drink of choice? How has it effected your every day life both professionally and medically? I think I am young enough that I do not experience many negative side effects besides always wanting to drink and my professional life is mostly unaffected.

Also do you do any drugs regularly? I smoke weed occasionally and that is it.

Post last edited by zok jr. at 2016-12-05T06:46:12.040690+00:00
    quit that shit and do trucks.
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by Actor quit that shit and do trucks.

huh
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I drink pretty heavily. So far the only impact it's had on my career is positive since being able to work from home and get wasted or be buzzed at my desk have been major drivers in me not quitting or going on a postal rampage. For the last year or so I've mainly been drinking G&Ts and negronis (negronii?) although lately I've been drinking 2:1 irish whiskey to sweet vermouth and it's actually pretty damn good. I thought I wore myself out on whiskies when I drank nothing but bottom shelf bourbon for a month and experienced the worst hangovers of my life.

Also trucks are good, do more trucks.
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by Lanny I drink pretty heavily. So far the only impact it's had on my career is positive since being able to work from home and get wasted or be buzzed at my desk have been major drivers in me not quitting or going on a postal rampage. For the last year or so I've mainly been drinking G&Ts and negronis (negronii?) although lately I've been drinking 2:1 irish whiskey to sweet vermouth and it's actually pretty damn good. I thought I wore myself out on whiskies when I drank nothing but bottom shelf bourbon for a month and experienced the worst hangovers of my life.

Also trucks are good, do more trucks.

Gin and tonic and negro cocktails that is pretty fancy. How often and how much do you drink though, just trying to get a feel for what level I am I feel like I am boss level alky but not sure.
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    What would have driven you to go postal?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by zok jr. Gin and tonic and negro cocktails that is pretty fancy. How often and how much do you drink though, just trying to get a feel for what level I am I feel like I am boss level alky but not sure.

It goes up and down. In a bad patch I'll have 6-8 standard drinks on a weeknight and drink pretty much continuously on other days so I don't really know. Probably a handle and change in a week plus fixins. I've been cutting back recently but when I go out my friends have this thing where they try to outdrink me (most techies down a few IPAs and think they're tuff) and that can get ugly.

Originally posted by Malice What would have driven you to go postal?

Just the bureaucracy of working at a big company and a general loathing of the economic system I live in. I hate being slow, unproductive, complacent, the old protestant work ethic, but then I hate producing profit for what amounts to the evil empire and by the nature of the system I have to do both perpetually. Vast oceans of alcohol help assuage anxiety over these facts.
    Pretty much all the IT people I know are alcoholics. Long hours of largely thankless work will do that to a person.
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by Lanny It goes up and down. In a bad patch I'll have 6-8 standard drinks on a weeknight and drink pretty much continuously on other days so I don't really know. Probably a handle and change in a week plus fixins. I've been cutting back recently but when I go out my friends have this thing where they try to outdrink me (most techies down a few IPAs and think they're tuff) and that can get ugly.
    Do you ever go a day without drinking? Just want to try to gauge my alcoholism.
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by inb4l0pht Pretty much all the IT people I know are alcoholics. Long hours of largely thankless work will do that to a person.

Also crippling depression.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by zok jr. Do you ever go a day without drinking? Just want to try to gauge my alcoholism.

I do, usually for a few days to a week as a check to make sure I still can without issue. With the level and span of drinking I've done I'd actually have expected some withdrawal symptoms. I've stopped cold turkey but so far the only thing I've experienced is super vivid dreams than can get pretty disturbing, but I mean hey, they're dreams. But no fatigue or shakes or anything. I also feel hungry all the time but I'm pretty sure that's just because I usually drink a good portion of my daily calories.
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by Lanny I do, usually for a few days to a week as a check to make sure I still can without issue. With the level and span of drinking I've done I'd actually have expected some withdrawal symptoms. I've stopped cold turkey but so far the only thing I've experienced is super vivid dreams than can get pretty disturbing, but I mean hey, they're dreams. But no fatigue or shakes or anything. I also feel hungry all the time but I'm pretty sure that's just because I usually drink a good portion of my daily calories.

Yeah OK, I drink every day can't remember the last time I didn't and am mostly drinking at this point to out of fear I might die if I stop.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Seems like it would be worth trying it out to confirm or deny that suspicion no? Just stop and when/if shakes set in grab a bottle quick and figure out how you're going to fix that shit.
    Originally posted by zok jr. Yeah OK, I drink every day can't remember the last time I didn't and am mostly drinking at this point to out of fear I might die if I stop.

Oh please, you only drink after 8 fucking PM, you are not going to fucking die.

I can drink wine like water and regularly have alcohol in my system throughout the entire day. Really should track exactly how much I drink. Never been a fan of moderation, do tend to have a strong tendency for extremism is several facets of life. A gallon a day would probably be around what I’d consider “heavy drinking”. Main physical side effect is that it makes me thirsty; seems to require quite a bit of water to process.
    I wake up every morning fucking dying from dehydration. Most of my fluid intake is from alcohol. I have a cuppa tea when I wake up in the morning, maybe a glass of squash/apple juice in the afternoon if it's hot and I'm thirsty, and then alcohol from whenever I start drinking til bed.

I only really drink water if it has codeine in it
    I drank between 6 and 12 Heinekens per day until about two weeks ago when I decided to switch to phenibut in an effort to quit

It was too expensive and I got sick of being a fat fuck while barely eating anything at all

I couldn't drink liquor because I would do absolutely inane and insane things that made no fucking sense

I have drank three of those days but have managed to get to the point where the physical withdrawals are gone and I don't want to drink unless I've had a bad day at work or something

My Crouton and caffeine intake are on their way up again though

My mental health appears to be rapidly deteriorating but that's probably just the last bits of the withdrawal going away

And i seem to have gotten a case of RLS

Currently on 2g phenibut per day, .5g in the morning, 1.5g at night

I will be put to the test this month though, I cant fucking stand Christmas and the boss has decided to blast old ass Christmas music over the loudspeaker 24 hours a day for the last few days, and coworkers say that it will go on all month
    I was an alcoholic for probably 10 months to a year drinking at least 5-6 nights a week and having s drink or two in the off days to settle the nerves. The day after I'd only have a drink or two I'd shit 5 times and feel like a cold crawling bag of shit. I'd shake and shiver sometimes too and have to send people to the store for me so I could move well enough to leave the house. I would take pills and do cocaine sometimes and of course smoke weed erryday 420 blaze up bro. Really, the first thing I did to get over it was changing lifestyle first. Stability and responsibility definitely help. Hanging out with people with drug problems as opposed to alcohol problems helps too. Now I drink like once a week but my body responds badly to it and sends me into niggersquaw firewater mode. My buddy just started naltrexone and said it's awesome, saved his life and he has no urge to drink anymore. He had to go to rehab to change his lifestyle, once that changes its infinitely easier to stop
    (U)LDN ((ultra) Low Dose Naltrexone) can be a very promising method for managing alcohol and opioid dependence.
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by Lanny Seems like it would be worth trying it out to confirm or deny that suspicion no? Just stop and when/if shakes set in grab a bottle quick and figure out how you're going to fix that shit.

Well yeah as much as I hate my life and want to die I kinda also don't want to at the same time. I did recover cold turkey from a pretty heavy benzo addiction though so I guess I am pretty resilient and might not seize up and die but who knows.
    Originally posted by Malice Oh please, you only drink after 8 fucking PM, you are not going to fucking die.

I can drink wine like water and regularly have alcohol in my system throughout the entire day. Really should track exactly how much I drink. Never been a fan of moderation, do tend to have a strong tendency for extremism is several facets of life. A gallon a day would probably be around what I’d consider “heavy drinking”. Main physical side effect is that it makes me thirsty; seems to require quite a bit of water to process.

wine = water.

Just cause I drink after a certain time of day and still maintain a professional life doesn't mean I am not a severe alky. Are you still in SF? I am pretty close by lets meet and see who can drink the most whiskey without dying I guarantee I will win and still be mostly sober whilst you writhe on the floor in death throes.

Originally posted by reject I wake up every morning fucking dying from dehydration. Most of my fluid intake is from alcohol. I have a cuppa tea when I wake up in the morning, maybe a glass of squash/apple juice in the afternoon if it's hot and I'm thirsty, and then alcohol from whenever I start drinking til bed.

I only really drink water if it has codeine in it

Yeah man the dehydration is real once I start drinking its straight whiskey/vodka for several hours and nothing else I end up stumbling to my water dispenser severa ltimes during the night and end up drinking 1-2 quarts and still dream of trying to find water its fucked.

Originally posted by 180gr 10mm FMJ I drank between 6 and 12 Heinekens per day until about two weeks ago when I decided to switch to phenibut in an effort to quit

It was too expensive and I got sick of being a fat fuck while barely eating anything at all

I couldn't drink liquor because I would do absolutely inane and insane things that made no fucking sense

I have drank three of those days but have managed to get to the point where the physical withdrawals are gone and I don't want to drink unless I've had a bad day at work or something

My Crouton and caffeine intake are on their way up again though

My mental health appears to be rapidly deteriorating but that's probably just the last bits of the withdrawal going away

And i seem to have gotten a case of RLS

Currently on 2g phenibut per day, .5g in the morning, 1.5g at night

I will be put to the test this month though, I cant fucking stand Christmas and the boss has decided to blast old ass Christmas music over the loudspeaker 24 hours a day for the last few days, and coworkers say that it will go on all month

You might think 6-12 beers is a lot but it really isn't. There is a point where you could drink 30 beers and not get drunk and then you have no choice but to switch to the hard sauce. Seriously beer is fun, stick to it. I don't know anything about phenibut except it has the word butt int it. hehe butt.

Originally posted by yum I was an alcoholic for probably 10 months to a year drinking at least 5-6 nights a week and having s drink or two in the off days to settle the nerves. The day after I'd only have a drink or two I'd shit 5 times and feel like a cold crawling bag of shit. I'd shake and shiver sometimes too and have to send people to the store for me so I could move well enough to leave the house. I would take pills and do cocaine sometimes and of course smoke weed erryday 420 blaze up bro. Really, the first thing I did to get over it was changing lifestyle first. Stability and responsibility definitely help. Hanging out with people with drug problems as opposed to alcohol problems helps too. Now I drink like once a week but my body responds badly to it and sends me into niggersquaw firewater mode. My buddy just started naltrexone and said it's awesome, saved his life and he has no urge to drink anymore. He had to go to rehab to change his lifestyle, once that changes its infinitely easier to stop
    Yeah man sounds like you had it pretty bad but I am pretty sure I am worse. I don't have to send people to get liquor for me but only because I never run out I always make sure I have a steady supply for fear of death. I have stability and responsibility I work full time and go to school full time but all the rest of my time is spent drinking. Like I am already done with a fifth of evan willaims (ugh) tonight and still 90% sober and wanting to drink more though my body is like plz no I can feel it. I literally cannot get enough water in me I am pretty sure I am dying.

The problem with me is that I cannot really give up an addiction I just trade it for another. Alcohol has always been a love of mine but really became a major part of my life when I quit benzos. I have smoked cigarettes starting at age 14 and have quit for 3-4 years now only because I replaced it with vaping. I don't know what to replace alcohol with but I feel the only way to stop drinking is to find a replacement and before anyone says anything, no weed isn't a replacement it is the exact opposite of liquor for me and irs rarely enjoyable.

The liquor is calling the shots now bud.
    I drink..... thwerefore... I\ AM
Jump to Top