User Controls

Mechanical keyboards

zok jr. Houston
    So I have been waiting a while to get a mechanical keyboard. I had a Razer Chroma at my last job and while it was pretty cool and shiny there was no way I was going to pay $150 ish bucks for a keyboard. Anyways I just recently got this Velocifire VM-1 for $35 and I have to say it is awesome and has rekindled my love for mechanical keyboards. It is really good quality it feels just like the Razer I used to use and can't recommend it enough. Also it makes me post more on forums cause I like the satisfying clickity clickity clack.

The point of this thread is, do you have a mechanical keyboard? If so what kind and what do you like/dislike about it?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I have a mech board. They are good. Except reds, that's just stupid.

Originally posted by zok jr. Velocifire VM-1

- rimless tray
    - gaymen BS
    + 10k
    + blues
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by Lanny I have a mech board. They are good. Except reds, that's just stupid.

- rimless tray
    - gaymen BS
    + 10k
    + blues

2words4me

seriously though please laymen terms I am a mechanical keyboard nub.
    What does rimless tray mean?
    What is gaymen BS? I am not sure that it means what I think it means but maybe it does
    What do you mean by 10k?
    What do you mean by blues? I think the switches are brown clones but he LEDs are blue? lol

srsly tho $35 there really are no negatives I spend more on a couple beers at the local brewery

Also what board do you use?

Post last edited by zok jr. at 2016-12-05T05:37:00.193600+00:00
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Lanny I have a mech board. They are good. Except reds, that's just stupid.

why reds in particular? I don't particularly like them either, tend to be popular with cs players who think they need mech keys to be competitive

at work I have a KBP-v60 with cherry blue switches and white keys (would take a photo but need to clean it), imagine white keycaps and a translucent, glowing case on this:

at home I've got a logitech atlas dawn; wanted to try out the omron/romer-g switches and they're not bad, kind of like reds but a little firmer - closer to the blues than browns, oddly enough:

the lights in the actual switches are white; the keys glow blue because the plastic keycaps are dyed blue on the inside. I've been trying to dye them red but haven't had too much luck.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by zok jr. What does rimless tray mean?
    What is gaymen BS? I am not sure that it means what I think it means but maybe it does
    What do you mean by 10k?
    What do you mean by blues? I think the switches are brown clones but he LEDs are blue? lol

1. the actual plastic case
    2. gayming-oriented design I think is what he's getting at
    3. 10keys, the numeric pad on the right, 'tenkeyless' keyboards forgo it to save space
    4. most mechanical keyboards use Cherry (or clones) switches, which have a bunch of different grades depending on the kind of 'feel' you want. reds are smooth, browns are the same but a bit firmer, blues are firm and make a 'clicky' sound when you hit them etc - look up mechanical keyboard switch types
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by aldra why reds in particular? I don't particularly like them either, tend to be popular with cs players who think they need mech keys to be competitive

at work I have a KBP-v60 with cherry blue switches and white keys (would take a photo but need to clean it), imagine white keycaps and a translucent, glowing case on this:

at home I've got a logitech atlas dawn; wanted to try out the omron/romer-g switches and they're not bad, kind of like reds but a little firmer - closer to the blues than browns, oddly enough:

the lights in the actual switches are white; the keys glow blue because the plastic keycaps are dyed blue on the inside. I've been trying to dye them red but haven't had too much luck.

Reds are more clicky right? I really like the clicking it feels liek I am on a typewriter especially the spacebar on this board as it makes a kind of dull spring noise.

also heres a pic of my $35 dollar baby

I know all I have regularly used is a Razer Chroma but man this thing is just as good IMO.

I do want some cool keycaps though to make it nice and custom.
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by aldra 1. the actual plastic case
    2. gayming-oriented design I think is what he's getting at
    3. 10keys, the numeric pad on the right, 'tenkeyless' keyboards forgo it to save space
    4. most mechanical keyboards use Cherry (or clones) switches, which have a bunch of different grades depending on the kind of 'feel' you want. reds are smooth, browns are the same but a bit firmer, blues are firm and make a 'clicky' sound when you hit them etc - look up mechanical keyboard switch types

Ohh thank you for the translation. I still am unsure of what rimless means but the base of the keyboard seems very nice and there is very little key wiggle. It is a gaming keyboard I do a lot of gaming though so that is ok with me. The 10 key is a must for me as well especially for configuring routers and typing in IP addresses omg its so bad without a 10 key I wouldn't buy a keyboard without one it is so bad when I have to configure something with my macbook.
    But yeah I think this has brown clones so IDK what he was saying about blues. TBH though if I had the option for more clicky switches like reds I would've opted for them not because I think they would make me better at gaming but just cause the sound pleases me.
    if you pop off one of the keys you should be able to tell what type they are because the stem is actually that colour

reds aren't clicky, well, they are a little but that's probably just going from a standard keyboard to mechanical - if you try a keyboard with blues you'll hear the difference.

zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by aldra if you pop off one of the keys you should be able to tell what type they are because the stem is actually that colour

reds aren't clicky, well, they are a little but that's probably just going from a standard keyboard to mechanical - if you try a keyboard with blues you'll hear the difference.

Oh cool awesome graphic thank you for that very helpful. I always thought reds were the clickiest for some reason guess my next purchase will be a blue switch based keyboard.

Anyway browns confirmed:
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by aldra why reds in particular? I don't particularly like them either, tend to be popular with cs players who think they need mech keys to be competitive

Because linear actuation defeats the whole point of a mechanical board, besides like maybe the ability to swap caps. I can't tell the difference between reds and a $10 rubber dome keyboard, I'm not convinced anyone else can either.

Originally posted by zok jr. Also what board do you use?

I have some discontinued line of keycool, it's a 10key ANSI layout with blue switches and I replaced with factory caps with a DSA set (different shape, the top of the key lower at the center than all four sides, as opposed to the more popular DCS which are higher at the left and right, lower in the center, and level across every up/down line)
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by Lanny I have some discontinued line of keycool, it's a 10key ANSI layout with blue switches and I replaced with factory caps with a DSA set (different shape, the top of the key lower at the center than all four sides, as opposed to the more popular DCS which are higher at the left and right, lower in the center, and level across every up/down line)
    AH yes mine are the latter type I am kinda hyped about the mechanical thing now though hand want to get some custom keycaps. Any reason why you prefer that particular style?
    https://www.massdrop.com/mechanical-keyboards

not many places autistic enough to carry custom keyboard parts
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    As far as I'm aware there's no real argument to be made on efficiency or anything, I just prefer the feel. Most factory caps will wear or shine after a while (especially on low end boards) so replacing them with anything custom tends to be an improvement. You see DCA caps a lot on older (like pre PC era) keyboards like the legendary space cadet:

so I kind of like them on that aesthetic level.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by aldra https://www.massdrop.com/mechanical-keyboards

*clicks on mechanical keyboard section*

fuck off massdrop

But seriously though I have seen keycap kits often in the past just wondering if anyone had any cool ones they like and by anyone I mean the two people in this thread.

Damn I like typing on this thing I might start studying programming just to hear it click all the time.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by aldra https://www.massdrop.com/mechanical-keyboards

truth, go too deep into the realm of mechanical keyboards and you'll see what human obsession without the help of drugs looks like.
    damn, I wish I had a 'rub out' button
    zok jr. Houston
    Sounds like me in Poland:"“I was deranged,” says Half-Life writer Marc Laidlaw of his decision to publish the plot of Episode 3 as fanfiction. “I was living on an island, totally cut off from my friends and creative community of the last couple decades, I was completely out of touch and had nobody to talk me out of it. It just seemed like a fun thing to do… until I did it.”"

dirty.
    zok jr. Houston
    Originally posted by aldra

dirty.

reminds me of one of those old mac a1048 keyboards which I used to really like actually and still have one somewhere I think

keyboards without a 10 key just look weird to me idk why
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    ^I remember those things. Think I actually inherited one and it's in a box somewhere. Looks kinda cool but shows dirt like a motherfucker and isn't so great to type on. I kinda like the oversized escape key tho.
Jump to Top