User Controls

Button to jump to last post of a thread

Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    Where did it go?
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    On the mobile site it's an obnoxiously huge arrow. Regular site I see it where it always is.
    Originally posted by mmQ On the mobile site it's an obnoxiously huge arrow. Regular site I see it where it always is.

Oh. Yeah, he's been jacking a lot of stuff on the mobile site. Like centering the navigation links at the top.
    Plus I was talking about when you go to latest threads, there was a button next to each thread in the list that took you to the latest post. It also showed the latest poster, and now it shows the OP. Minor inconveniences.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    No I understand. Ideally I'd like the post to show the OP beneath it, and then on the side of like to see a view count, latest poster, and button to end of thread.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I needed to cut content to get acceptable tap targets and spacing on 4" phones, the last poster column was the natural choice. I like not having to zoom to hit anything personally.
    Originally posted by Lanny I needed to cut content to get acceptable tap targets and spacing on 4" phones, the last poster column was the natural choice. I like not having to zoom to hit anything personally.

Acceptable to whom? I thought you didn't do much mobile browsing.

I rely mainly on mobile browsing. It's awesome since upgrading to the iPhone 7 Plus, but I adjusted fine when using the iPhone 4S as well (4" phone).

Speaking of zoom, I still have to zoom out when using the Quick Reply.

So, I see the giant arrows mQ is talking about. That takes you to the last unread post, right? Well, guests don't see anything. Ideally, shouldn't every latest post be the last unread for a guest, other than when a cookie or some kind of token is stored? It just seems that the amount of scrolling and tapping has increased and the displayed information has decreased.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to our feedback. I know that feel of catering to ungrateful pricks, so hopefully it doesn't come across that way.
    We don't have guests.
    Holy fuck what the hell happened to mobile.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Ajax Acceptable to whom? I thought you didn't do much mobile browsing.

To me pretty much. I don't do mobile browsing a lot but I pulled out my phone (iphone 5s, 4" screen) to do some testing and I couldn't reliably hit the "first unread reply" button. There are also admin controls that I couldn't his so this helps with this.

Speaking of zoom, I still have to zoom out when using the Quick Reply.

Yeah, I have a ticket for it but the app store won't let me install xcode (and by extension, the iOS simulator) on my home computer because I refuse to download a 10gb upgrade and restart for whatever cross selling bullshit apple packed into their latest OS so I'll have to troubleshoot at work. It's not reproducible on my phone.

So, I see the giant arrows mQ is talking about. That takes you to the last unread post, right? Well, guests don't see anything. Ideally, shouldn't every latest post be the last unread for a guest, other than when a cookie or some kind of token is stored? It just seems that the amount of scrolling and tapping has increased and the displayed information has decreased.

I could manage it in sessions but I'd then have to have some invalidation strategy (the VPS this is running on has fuckall ram and sessions live a while so it is significant) and there's just a lot of ugly edge cases to deal with there. Ultimately I want the authenticated user experience to be optimal and the guest experience to be secondary.

As for scrolling and tapping I guess I'll borrow a large screen phone from work and see what it feels like. If it's bad enough I might introduce another breakpoint (separating small phones from large phones) but every BP I add is that many more use cases to test and tweak so I'd prefer to keep it to a minimum.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to our feedback. I know that feel of catering to ungrateful pricks, so hopefully it doesn't come across that way.

No worries blood, I'm glad to get productive feedback. And at some point I'm sure my enthusiasm for continued development is going to wane so I'd like to get things into a state that'll be tolerable long term while the bar's open on enhancements.
Jump to Top