User Controls

Hackers clone keys by listening to pins inside locks

Kuntzschutz African Astronaut
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8658113/Security-Hackers-clone-key-just-listening-noise-makes-lock.html

They'd been doing this for years with safes and combination locks, although this technique will require algorithms.

Efficiency likely depends on how much you train the software.

Just found it kinda interesting. It gave me a couple ideas on making a phones audio more secure
    Speedy Parker Black Hole [my absentmindedly lachrymatory gazania]
    If you are close enough to my locks to hear them you are going to get shot if you don't your leg eaten first.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Soyboy 2020 IV: Intravenous Soyposting African Astronaut [scrub the quick-drying deinonychus]
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker If you are close enough to my locks to hear them you are going to get shot if you don't your leg eaten first.

I'll kick you in the face if you go to eat my leg.
    And while you swing that leg back you would be getting shot.
    Soyboy 2020 IV: Intravenous Soyposting African Astronaut [scrub the quick-drying deinonychus]
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker And while you swing that leg back you would be getting shot.

At least I wouldn't have to experience you gnawing on my ankles, freak
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING 2020 IV: Intravenous Soyposting At least I wouldn't have to experience you gnawing on my ankles, freak

It wouldn't be me.

It wouldn't be your ankles.

It wouldn't be gnawing.

gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Originally posted by Kuntzschutz https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8658113/Security-Hackers-clone-key-just-listening-noise-makes-lock.html

They'd been doing this for years with safes and combination locks, although this technique will require algorithms.

High IQ.
    kroz weak whyte, frothy cuck, and former twink
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker It wouldn't be me.

It wouldn't be your ankles.

It wouldn't be gnawing.

thats pretty rowdy those beaners go hard, woofy wants din din!
    Originally posted by gadzooks High IQ.

Eh, you could just compare sound bytes manually, but the software makes it easier and no high iq required either way
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Originally posted by Bill Krozby thats pretty rowdy those beaners go hard, woofy wants din din!

Not much worse than having a pitbull tug away on your nutsack.
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker If you are close enough to my locks to hear them you are going to get shot if you don't your leg eaten first.

The article mentions hijacking the targets smartphone mic. I don't see it being overly practical without doing that or being across the street with a parabolic mic.

You could also toss an fm transmitter + amplifier near the lock.

Edit, with a transmitter + amplifier, it may pick up the noise from roughly 40 feet away, maybe a bit more
    A smartphone mic wouldn't be good enough to pick up the tumblers.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I'm surprised phone microphones are sensitive enough, though it's possible they're not and it's just the dailymail sensationalising things
    You'd have to have a very good directional condenser microphone pointed directly at the tumblers from a distance of just inches.
    Originally posted by Bill Krozby thats pretty rowdy those beaners go hard, woofy wants din din!

The dog is singing, "Oh... I wish I had a dying beaners wiener"
    Originally posted by -SpectraL A smartphone mic wouldn't be good enough to pick up the tumblers.

That's false actually. It's what I'd think too, but with control of the analog to digital converter and baseband chips operating system, ads are customized towards even the quietest conversations people have via that mic. I have discussed this with friends who have direct links to upper echelon in US national security, and I had to explain to them, even putting the phone under a pillow won't stop the recording
    Not even taking the battery out will. I've posted about all this research here before.
    Originally posted by aldra it's just the dailymail sensationalising things

It's not
    Originally posted by Kuntzschutz That's false actually. It's what I'd think too, but with control of the analog to digital converter and baseband chips operating system, ads are customized towards even the quietest conversations people have via that mic. I have discussed this with friends who have direct links to upper echelon in US national security, and I had to explain to them, even putting the phone under a pillow won't stop the recording
    Not even taking the battery out will. I've posted about all this research here before.

There have been many stories and videos on this. The GPS tracker even works with the battery removed.
    FYI, rf illumination at 2.4 GHz and 1900 packets per second can pick up audio from a very good distance via loudspeaker, with no battery in the phone necessary.

Google it if you need to. The mics also catch way more audio than you'd think but the baseband os and adc strips a lot away. Depending on frequency, as with radio, lower frequency travels further.

The speaker and end user software may hide a lot from lay people, but there's a wealth of info if you know how to access it
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker There have been many stories and videos on this. The GPS tracker even works with the battery removed.

That's partly because the software is designed to make the person think the motherboard has no power when the battery either appears dead or is removed.

Rf illumination actually is rather unique to the manufacturing process, so illuminating the loudspeaker, for example, with battery removed, will still have enough data to uniquely ID a device. You could take 200 phones with same model etc , but as with radio fingerprinting, it's unique to each phone.

Edit, most rfi for radio fingerprinting a device is under 1mhz, and at these long wavelength/low frequency, that rfi travels very far, with miniscule power required
Jump to Top