User Controls

Anyone Read Sci-Fi?

  1. #1
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I have an idea I've been thinking about writing, though I don't really read much fiction myself so maybe some feedback would be a good idea before I sink time into it
  2. #2
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Nobody? I'll post a rundown when I get home
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  3. #3
    prethanked for content.

    i'll take it back if it disappoints.
  4. #4
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Read Asimov. Or the stuff The Expanse is based on.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  5. #5
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    A friend does read a fair bit and he was telling me about how almost all books treat humanity as inherently good, with the exception being Xeelee sequence (and I guess 40k).

    Anyway, my idea is that somewhere in the near future, we discover a way to build elements atom by atom, kind of like a 3D printer that can build anything as long as it's fed raw materials (ie. it can produce water if fed oxygen and hydrogen, and scales up to complex elements, drugs and mechanical systems). Instead of bringing peace due to the end of scarcity, it puts a nuclear weapon in everyone's hand. Humanity is almost completely wiped out, with the only survivors being a few loners who jetted off into space alone just before the end.

    These few wanderers end up as mad gods, being able to essentially live forever, change themselves and build anything imaginable through the aforementioned technology. The story from there would be a lot to do with purpose, madness and isolation through their interactions with aliens and each other
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  6. #6
    yea but you have to solve the energy problem. just like you need energy to put lego blocks together and take them apart,

    a lot of energies are needed to put atoms together and take them apart to form something new and its the lack of this energy that prevents people from turning lead jnto gold.
  7. #7
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Yeah, I'm not trying to go hard sci-fi that fully explains future tech in terms of current, it's more just a vehicle to tell stories about what people might do if they had unlimited power and no family, friends or peers
  8. #8
    street_carp Tuskegee Airman
    Originally posted by aldra Yeah, I'm not trying to go hard sci-fi that fully explains future tech in terms of current, it's more just a vehicle to tell stories about what people might do if they had unlimited power and no family, friends or peers

    Probably the same thing loners without unlimited power do; jerk off. Only in this scenario it would be really fancy jerkin' off.
  9. #9
    Originally posted by aldra Yeah, I'm not trying to go hard sci-fi that fully explains future tech in terms of current, it's more just a vehicle to tell stories about what people might do if they had unlimited power and no family, friends or peers

    human nature wont change just because they have unlimited power.

    there will always be betas and betas and even when they have unlimited powers, the betas will choose to willingly surrender their unlimited powers to the betas, thereby limiting their unlimited power to limited power.

    a parallel to your story would be 2A in the US, and the bunch of psychologically amd phillosophically trannies who cant wait to give it up and snip it off.
  10. #10
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by aldra A friend does read a fair bit and he was telling me about how almost all books treat humanity as inherently good, with the exception being Xeelee sequence (and I guess 40k).

    Anyway, my idea is that somewhere in the near future, we discover a way to build elements atom by atom, kind of like a 3D printer that can build anything as long as it's fed raw materials (ie. it can produce water if fed oxygen and hydrogen, and scales up to complex elements, drugs and mechanical systems). Instead of bringing peace due to the end of scarcity, it puts a nuclear weapon in everyone's hand. Humanity is almost completely wiped out, with the only survivors being a few loners who jetted off into space alone just before the end.

    These few wanderers end up as mad gods, being able to essentially live forever, change themselves and build anything imaginable through the aforementioned technology. The story from there would be a lot to do with purpose, madness and isolation through their interactions with aliens and each other

    Sounds interesting. Also sounds like it should be a trilogy. 1 Rise 2 Fall 3 Madness. In that order. Also, you should probably read up on how to write, i hear it's actually pretty hard to write a good book. You gotta have acts, and character development and world building. It's quite an involved affair.

    Oh i just realized you could do that in three acts as well. I'm not an author, so you might want to do your own research on that.
  11. #11
    Originally posted by Sophie Sounds interesting. Also sounds like it should be a trilogy. 1 Rise 2 Fall 3 Madness. In that order. Also, you should probably read up on how to write, i hear it's actually pretty hard to write a good book. You gotta have acts, and character development and world building. It's quite an involved affair.

    Oh i just realized you could do that in three acts as well. I'm not an author, so you might want to do your own research on that.

    the more you read the more youve diluted yourself.
  12. #12
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny the more you read the more youve diluted yourself.

    If you're shit, it's best to be diluted.
  13. #13
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Originally posted by aldra A friend does read a fair bit and he was telling me about how almost all books treat humanity as inherently good, with the exception being Xeelee sequence (and I guess 40k).

    Anyway, my idea is that somewhere in the near future, we discover a way to build elements atom by atom, kind of like a 3D printer that can build anything as long as it's fed raw materials (ie. it can produce water if fed oxygen and hydrogen, and scales up to complex elements, drugs and mechanical systems). Instead of bringing peace due to the end of scarcity, it puts a nuclear weapon in everyone's hand. Humanity is almost completely wiped out, with the only survivors being a few loners who jetted off into space alone just before the end.

    These few wanderers end up as mad gods, being able to essentially live forever, change themselves and build anything imaginable through the aforementioned technology. The story from there would be a lot to do with purpose, madness and isolation through their interactions with aliens and each other

    Do it.
  14. #14
    Originally posted by Sophie If you're shit, it's best to be diluted.

    that would be unfair to shit fetishers.
  15. #15
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny that would be unfair to shit fetishers.

    Shit fetishers are a minority, if you're going to write a book, you should make it appealing to a lot of people.
  16. #16
    Originally posted by Sophie Shit fetishers are a minority, if you're going to write a book, you should make it appealing to a lot of people.

    no, if i want to write a book TO make money, then i should write books that would appeal to the many.

    but not if i want to write a book for the sake of writting.

    for example,if i were to write a pedos' manual, it would be of great contributions to humanity but only a few would read it or even find it useful.
  17. #17
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny no, if i want to write a book TO make money, then i should write books that would appeal to the many.

    but not if i want to write a book for the sake of writting.

    for example,if i were to write a pedos' manual, it would be of great contributions to humanity but only a few would read it or even find it useful.

    When i said 'you're' i didn't mean you specifically, i know the intricacies of the English language are lost on a lot of non native speakers. But i spoke in general, not about you.
  18. #18
    HTS highlight reel
    ngl it's a neat concept and I'm interested. Would I read it? Depends on the execution I guess. The premise is intriguing though so I'd give it a shot.
  19. #19
    Originally posted by Sophie When i said 'you're' i didn't mean you specifically, i know the intricacies of the English language are lost on a lot of non native speakers. But i spoke in general, not about you.

    yea and any native english speakers would tell you that the "i" i used refers to anyone who wants to write a book, and not just me specifically.
  20. #20
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny yea and any native english speakers would tell you that the "i" i used refers to anyone who wants to write a book, and not just me specifically.

    Let's hear it from a native English speaker then, shall we.
Jump to Top