User Controls

First cohort of Hul’q’umi’num’ speakers graduate with Indigenous Languages diploma.

SFU’s Indigenous Languages Program celebrated its first Hul’q’umi’num’ graduates from the Diploma Program in Proficiency in a First Nations Language. Six students—Christopher Alphonse, Roseanna George, Martina Joe, Thomas Johnny, Donna May Modeste, and Sharon Seymour—completed the diploma in December 2019 and were eligible to convocate this June.

They are continuing in the Bachelor of Arts program with an extended minor in linguistics and the new minor in Indigenous Languages, which was approved by SFU Senate last month. The diploma program and the new minor build on the certificate program. Since 1993, SFU has partnered with communities to offer courses in 18 languages in British Columbia and Yukon.

Twenty-five students of two other languages, Secwepemctsin and Skwxwu7mesh Snichim, completed their diplomas this spring.

Hul’q’umi’num’ is a Coast Salish language spoken in southeastern Vancouver Island, along the shores of the Salish Sea. Hul’q’umi’num’, like many Indigenous languages, has very few remaining fluent speakers. The SFU students play a vital role in their communities as language teachers and material developers.

http://www.sfu.ca/sfunews/stories/2020/06/first-cohort-of-hul-q-umi-num--speakers-graduate-with-indigenous.html
    street_carp African Astronaut
    Twenty-five students of two other languages, Secwepemctsin and Skwxwu7mesh Snichim
    lolwut
    Originally posted by street_carp lolwut

lol yes.
    I hope they Nuke whatever shit hole you live in
    Cly African Astronaut [foredate your moneyless friar's-cowl]
    why is there a seven in the name?
    Grylls Cum Looking Faggot [abrade this vocal tread-softly]
    Shutaup vinny
    Originally posted by Cly why is there a seven in the name?

wikipedia is a thing.
    Originally posted by Grylls Shutaup vinny

no native language.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Ok alright, i can dig it. Keeping almost extinct languages alive is pretty cool.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny no native language.

That’s the way my chink bitch tells me to shut up

it’s so cute
    Shutaup you!
    Originally posted by Grylls Shutaup you!

is this african language ?
    Yes
Jump to Top