User Controls

Hard Drives

BeeReBuddy motherfucker [pimp your due marabout]
    I only have a 237gb SSD and I can't seem to make enough room to get ARK downloaded which is just bullshit so instead of trying to delete stuff I think Ill just buy a bigger drive.

Now back in my day everything was ribbon cabled and those plastic peices you had to set on the pins to tell it whether it was to boot or scoot or something pigfuckers.

Anyways I am pretty sure I can unplug my DVD player and tape a hardrive to that spot and use the cables to hook it up but I dont, honestly dont know all the fuck im doing...

So with my small form factor Dell Optilex 990 what can I look at or do to make sure whatever I am buying will hook up to my current computer?
    Help me guys because I got stuck in the past and I dunno what is what anymore.
    Thanks in advance.
    Love you guys,
    -Fona
    I got a $25 amazon card.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Hikikomori-Fujoshi African Astronaut
    Holy shit you are out of touch.

When is the last time you dabbled with computers, 2004?
    hva_skjera Yung Blood
    What do the connectors on your current Hard Drive look like?
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    Do games really take up that much space these days?
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Just get an external USB hard drive.
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/external-hard-drives/20237
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    if it's any newer than like 2000, you should just be able to plug the SATA cables between your harddrive and motherboard and not have to worry about jumpers and shit. The ribbon cables were the old IDE standard
    Download Paragon Migrate illegally, buy a bigger SSD for internal use (512gb on at microcenter for $52)...used paragon Migrate to copy your old SSD to the new one. If no room for another drive in your computer get an external regular HDD for your games and other none critical shit (2-4tb), only use the SSD for the OS and important stuff.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson Download Paragon Migrate illegally, buy a bigger SSD for internal use (512gb on at microcenter for $52)…used paragon Migrate to copy your old SSD to the new one. If no room for another drive in your computer get an external regular HDD for your games and other none critical shit (2-4tb), only use the SSD for the OS and important stuff.

just use clonezilla, it's open source
    Originally posted by aldra just use clonezilla, it's open source

I had issues with clonezilla, a couple of drives it kept crapping out on..never had a problem using Paragon Migrate
    AngryIVer African Astronaut [my jade controlled morrigan]
    Originally posted by Hikikomori-Fujoshi Holy shit you are out of touch.

When is the last time you dabbled with computers, 2004?

He's full of shit. He's like 5 years younger than me and is claiming to have never seen SATA before despite it having been the standard for like 15 years now, and allegedly having just put a video card in.

Get a normal ass hard drive like a regular person. Nobody uses SSD for more than shit required to boot or play maybe 1 game.

Maybe you should have left the 2tb hard drive that came with your computer in it instead of buying into the SSD meme. OoOoOoO you gained .7 seconds on your boot time! Wowee! I can hold over 20x the amount of shit as you.
    hva_skjera Yung Blood
    Originally posted by AngryIVer Nobody uses SSD for more than shit required to boot or play maybe 1 game.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Originally posted by AngryIVer SSD meme. OoOoOoO you gained .7 seconds on your boot time! Wowee! I can hold over 20x the amount of shit as you.

You still don't know what you're talking about. SSDs are 20X more reliable than mechanical HDDs with platters and heads that will eventually fail.

Originally posted by AngryIVer I can hold over 20x the amount of shit as you.

What is this, 2010? This comment will age poorly once HDDs are more of a legacy product plus SSDs are always going down in price.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    hva_skjera Yung Blood
    I'm renaming my master and slave drives to "masta" and "nigger".
    Originally posted by hva_skjera I'm renaming my master and slave drives to "masta" and "nigger".

wouldnt "white" and "black" suffice ?
    Was a real pain back in the '80's and '90's, because you had to guess the pin arrangements by trial and error and use paper and pen to write down your results, also your DMAs and IRQs. Could take you hours to get a hard drive on board with no resource and connection conflicts.
    hva_skjera Yung Blood
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny wouldnt "white" and "black" suffice ?

yes
    Dregs African Astronaut [that freakishly double-edged allmouth]
    Originally posted by -SpectraL Was a real pain back in the '80's and '90's, because you had to guess the pin arrangements by trial and error and use paper and pen to write down your results, also your DMAs and IRQs. Could take you hours to get a hard drive on board with no resource and connection conflicts.

what you an inferior guess(er)? trial and error? plain malarkey boi. lazy you can't write all the down fool? so what hours...you been living how long and yet you care about mere hours? thats rich bucko. i see no conflicts here at all only you do. wake the fuck up and just get the job done.
    All I know is the less moving parts the better.
    I wish HDL would stop moving.

Anyways...
    Im kinda out of money right now so Ill probably just make a new thread exactly like this one in a couple months when I get some more money.
    Thanks for your help.
    Oh and btw hdl, my graphics card just slides into one of my pci slots and works.
    There are no cables...
    Great job making an ass out of yourself yet again.
Jump to Top