User Controls

Hey guys, what's your favorite truck?

Lanny Bird of Courage
    I love trucks. Who wants to come over to my place to do some trucks with me?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I'm a big fan of the 2017 Ram 5500 Chassis Tradesman/SLT/Laramie Truck Crew Cab. Thanks for asking.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    The ones that have the exhaust near the top of the cabin so you can be high while you do your truck.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Sophie The ones that have the exhaust near the top of the cabin so you can be high while you do your truck.

can be done with most jeeps/4wds, called a snorkel from memory
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by aldra can be done with most jeeps/4wds, called a snorkel from memory

What can i say i am a poly-automobile abuser.
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    I could go for some meth, but I’m too much of an autistic hiki to socialize, so it would be way awkward. I’m also afraid you’d try to do something weird to me.
    Originally posted by Lanny I love trucks. Who wants to come over to my place to do some trucks with me?

"trucks"
    Originally posted by Lanny I love trucks. Who wants to come over to my place to do some trucks with me?

Originally posted by Actor "trucks"

Respond !!!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I'm kinda surprised so many people remember trucks. I saw it because I was sifting through the DB for a corner case I wanted to test and found that thread.

Man, actro, I don't know what it is but something about your posts and just your whole persona is bizarrely memorable. Like the water thing, I can't see condensate anymore without being like "yeah, but how does the water get through the glass?"
    Heres another one: Can a tank of helium fill enough balloons to lift the tank?
    Originally posted by Actor Heres another one: Can a tank of helium fill enough balloons to lift the tank?

No.
    why
    We have discussed this before.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I would actually think it could if it was highly pressurized enough in the tank. Why wouldn't it?
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Let's see what Dustin Bajer, with a Bachelors of Education majoring in Physics and minoring in Mathematics, has to say on the matter.

Written Sep 24

Yes, well. Maybe.

To solve this problem, let’s first simply it be removing the tank. Instead, let’s ask Can 1 kilogram of helium gas lift 1 kilogram of liquid helium?

To answer this question let’s remember a few things about helium as it moves from a liquid to a gas.

Its mass will stay the same (1 kg of liquid helium weighs the same as 1 kg of helium gas).
    Its volume will increase from 0.008 cubic metres to 5.907 cubic meters (at 1 atmosphere)

Thus, if we had 1kg of helium (g) attempting the lift 1kg of helium (l) the entire system would have a mass of 2kg and a total volume of (0.006 cubic meters + 5.907 cubic meters) 5.915 cubic metres

To determine if the system will float, we’ll have to compare it’s mass to an equal volume of air. The laws of physics would dictate that if 5.915 cubic meters of air weights more than 5.915 cubic meters of helium that the helium system will float.

Density of air (at 1 atmosphere) = 1.225 kg/cubic meter
    Mass of 5.915 cubic meters of air = 1.225 kg/cubic meter x 5.915 cubic meters = 7.246 kg

Since the air is 5.246 kg heavier than the helium system, the system will float!

Of course, this wasn’t the original question. We must consider a few more things:

As the helium moves out of the tank, the volume of the tanks stays the same. Thus, the two system has the same volume.
    As the helium leaves the tank, the mass inside the tank will decrease by the mass of the helium leaving it.

Thus, the volume of the two systems are actually the same (or roughly ignoring the thickness of the tank) but its mass will actually be 1kg less (since the helium leaves the tank). As the mass is even less, the system is even more likely to float. The mass of the displaced air is now 6.246kg heavier (or 6.246 times the mass of the system).

So to answer the question:

The balloons could lift the tank if the mass of the tank is less than 6.25 times the mass of the helium inside it.

ex. 1kg of helium gas could just lift a 6.25kg tank but not a 7.00kg tank.

I’ll readily admit that this us still a simplification. What’s the volume of the tank’s thickness? How much to the balloons weigh? etc.
    Haven't we been there already?

The balloons would just add more weight to it, right? I think we had figured this out before.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Why doesn't a tank of helium just float up in the air by itself, mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn?
    The fuck outta here. If there's not a Youtube video about it......
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by RisiR Haven't we been there already?

The balloons would just add more weight to it, right? I think we had figured this out before.

The mass of the tank/balloons would remain the same but how heavy a thing is isn't what makes it float. A thing floats if its density is less than the surrounding fluid. The tank/balloons will stay the same weight but as the balloons inflate their volume will increase and the total density of the system will decrease. If there's enough helium to fill enough balloons in the tank the total density will eventually be less than air and it will start to float.
    We had discussion before, right?
Jump to Top