User Controls

I just figured out how to increase my 4G speed 5 times for free

Cathay Coof African Astronaut [the ariled affirmatory basinet]
    The answer was to switch LTE band from a congested one (band 20/800Mhz) to a less congested one (band 1/2100Mhz is working great).

I used to get around 3Mbps, now I am getting just over 15Mbps.

There is no setting to do so on my router, but the code to do this on a Huawei (mine is a B525) via browser is here:
    https://github.com/ECOFRI/HuaweiLTEBandSelector

Edit: about 27Mbps now, so nearly 10x
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Band 1 (2100 mhz) just now:

Band 3 (1800 mhz):

Band 20 (800mhz, my default):

My internet has gone from 1 meg to 20 meg. I can tell my internet connection is way faster just from using it.

Currently researching 2100mhz antennas/panels/dishes, still hoping to improve my Signal to Noise Ratio, though honestly even having a reliable 10 meg connection is awesome.
    Also by my math my 4G download speeds have increased 17x.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    impressive, I didn't know you had the option to select bands
    Originally posted by aldra impressive, I didn't know you had the option to select bands

I don't even think you're supposed to have it. For instance on my phone I have no idea how you could choose bands.

It kinda reveals how badly 4G has been deployed though. Band 20 is clearly choking, while Band 1 seems to be nearly empty.

Results at 1am

Band 1 (2100 mhz) at 01:17am

Band 3 (1800 mhz)at 01:19am

Band 20 (800 mhz) at 01:20am

Perhaps if I was behind a hill from a tower, in a low signal area, I'd be glad for Band 20 - one of our high propagation "digital dividend" channels from turning off analogue television.

But that simply isn't my use case, so why was I being forced into it?
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I don't know how the balancing/selection process works but typically (from memory) the longer waves travel farther so they're used in rural areas whereas shorter waves have greater wall penetration so they're favoured in cities.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by aldra I don't know how the balancing/selection process works but typically (from memory) the longer waves travel farther so they're used in rural areas whereas shorter waves have greater wall penetration so they're favoured in cities.

I live in a high location, and have line of sight (LOS) about 50 miles to various transmitters. Perhaps I am just the odd ball when it comes to trying to divide up populations for efficient signal allocation.
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    is that huawei internal antennas only? if you got some external antennas would you get a new modem/router?

you probably already know but sometimes you will get better web bandwidth using radio band(s) that have worse rf signal.
    Octavian motherfucker
    I don't understand but OP is a genius.
    Band 1 at 01:48 am:

Band 3 at 01:50 am:

Band 20 at 01:52 am:
    Originally posted by A College Professor is that huawei internal antennas only?

At the minute Antenna 1 is external - one of the two shitty antennas that came free with the B525, and Antenna 2 is internal. Both included antennas are attached and positioned the same way, but the modem only chooses to read from the one attached to antenna port #1 for whatever reason.

The difference between using external antennas and internal ones is small +2 mbps on band one, and a negative figure on all other bands.
    Originally posted by aldra I don't know how the balancing/selection process works but typically (from memory) the longer waves travel farther so they're used in rural areas whereas shorter waves have greater wall penetration so they're favoured in cities.

Not really. Longer waves are plain better in every way besides bandwidth. Shorter waves are a necessary evil to ensure that all areas get enough speed to function.
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    cool i got a new cellular module for my router that uses four cell antennas for gnarly MIMO & aggregation

im using four of these antennas;
    https://www.amazon.com/MF-279-Hotspot-Router-External-Antenna/dp/B078XHBVBF

they work really great on my vehicle roof but im just using them indoors at the moment without a ground plane , anyway in most locations i get a really significant speed boost by putting them outdoors / on the vehicle roof vs having the antennas indoors or in the vehicle
    Wariat Marine/Preteen Biologist
    I domt know shit about code or how to implement code so how the fuck is this to help me? plus i dont have your shitty brand of router but one from play services in poland.
    nor do I understand any of your tech icla mumbo jumbo like switching bands or what it entails.
    Octavian motherfucker
    I bet Anna Spysze knows.
    I just ordered a directional flat panel antenna for 1800-2100mhz. It'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference to my speeds.
    tecno mubo jumbo no one knows about.
    soi boi

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/tippling/2020/04/29/sexual-allegations-biden-vs-trump/#comment-4894820128
    Octavian motherfucker
    Shut up, Nonce
Jump to Top