User Controls

Recommend me a couple of InfoSec/CompSci/Programming books.

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    I feel like expanding my l33tn3s. Are there any books you would recommend? I would be interested in Linux sysadmin stuff, reverse engineering, malware, binary exploitation, oh and books on Python and Bash and *nix fundamentals are never bad and i have been getting into GoLang as of late. If you know of any books/resources that deal with Go feel free to share them.

Thanks guys.
    It's not about anything you asked for but our old pal Oplus wanted everyone to read "The Wasp Factory". Please do that if you haven't.
    Man, why you gotta bring up Oplus? Nigga was dank was fuck until I trolled him just to be a nigga. Then he killed himself. I will definitly read the wasp factory in his honor. I miss that fucker.

There is a book I have called "Hacking: The art of Exploitation". Probably a little beginner for you but it primarily deal in C for the programming. It does get into bash. And it comes with a disk with a linux based environment to play with. Might be up your alley even if it just provides review.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    antinatalism Tuskegee Airman
    let's start with these:
    for malware analysis: - practical malware analysis, michael sikorski
    if you're into steganography: - disappearing cryptography, peter wayner
    nice one for python&crypto: - hacking secret ciphers with python, albert sweigart

I second "hacking the art of exploitation" too.
    If the thread keeps going and I won't have killed myself yet, I'll add few other good recommendations
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    There's one with this guy in the cover looking at a computer intently and it just totally looks like he knows what he's doing. I wish I could remember the name because THAT'S THE ONE. I can just tell. Whoever said you can't judge a book by it's cover simply had to have had poor judgement.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Silberschatz, Galvin and Gagne's "Dinosaur Book" is the standard operating systems text which leans more heavily on the linux kernel to draw examples than others for obvious reasons. Regardless of what operating system you intend to work with, the material there is pretty essential if you want to get down the the kernel level. It's dense but actually fairly readable.

Handbook of Applied Cryptography is largely a refrence volume for various algorithms and cryptoschemes (most of Bouncy Castle's implementations refrence a page out of Handbook) but the first two chapters give a general overview of cryptography as an applied practice and is pretty interesting even outside the context of a particular problem.
    Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by antinatalism let's start with these:
    for malware analysis: - practical malware analysis, michael sikorski
    if you're into steganography: - disappearing cryptography, peter wayner
    nice one for python&crypto: - hacking secret ciphers with python, albert sweigart

I second "hacking the art of exploitation" too.
    If the thread keeps going and I won't have killed myself yet, I'll add few other good recommendations

I will definitely vheck out the Python/crypto one. And i think i even have Practical Malware Analysis somewhere on a flashdrive.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by SCronaldo_J_Trump

Lol, I don't know why but I have a special fucking hatred for Dvorak. I subscribed to his cnet blog because someone told me to when I was but a whee nooblet and man, that dude just spews the most obvious bullshit or meaningless industry gossip without end.
    Originally posted by Lanny Lol, I don't know why but I have a special fucking hatred for Dvorak. I subscribed to his cnet blog because someone told me to when I was but a whee nooblet and man, that dude just spews the most obvious bullshit or meaningless industry gossip without end.

Post of the year right here.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    https://www.humblebundle.com/books/unix-book-bundle

might be up your alley

I'm getting it, can reup if you guys are broke
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I wouldn't mind lex and yacc and DNS and BIND if you're grabbing the whole set.
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    Web Application Hackers Handbook.
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    DNS and Bind seems interesting.
    http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/3vNulItb/file.html

password: Bill KrozbyDOGS
    bump4soph
    Originally posted by aldra bump4soph

Thanks i totally missed this since i use "Latest Threads" and like, i went on a drug binge for a week so i didn't have time for the internet so this kind of fell off the radar.
    Can't get past retarded add sites though, re-up to a less retarded place pl0x. Volafile it perhaps.
    Merlin Houston
    I feel like books alternate between being too slow or too fast paced and in pdf format doesn't lend itself to skipping around. That said I've been trying to get through Introduction to Algorithms, MIT press. It hasn't been extraordinarily helpful for stuff that I'd actually apply besides exercising my thinker.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Merlin I feel like books alternate between being too slow or too fast paced and in pdf format doesn't lend itself to skipping around. That said I've been trying to get through Introduction to Algorithms, MIT press. It hasn't been extraordinarily helpful for stuff that I'd actually apply besides exercising my thinker.

CLRS it's really meant to be read cover to cover on it's own. The algorithms described all came up in context of some actual problem although it doesn't really explain what it was. MIT has recordings of the course that traditionally uses that book as their text which I highly recommend, Erik Demaine who cotaught the recorded lecture section is one of my favorite living computer scientists, I'm insanely jealous of both the fact that he gets paid to play cool math games all day and of how much smarter than me he is.
Jump to Top