User Controls

How many solar systems are there?

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    One.

If our solar system is based off of our sun which is based off of the Latin 'sol,' then solar system should be exclusive to ours alone, no? All the others are star systems, and can come up with their own names if they want but not solar, because that's ours. Unless we consider those stars to be suns to their respective systems, which could make sense, but at the same time when we refer to our sun we say THE sun and not A sun, so really our star is THE SUN and all the other stars, even if they have planets orbiting them, are not suns, but just stars, amen.

Fill me with your knowledge.
    Fill me with your power.
    Fill me to the brim.
    Pollinate my flower.

Step inside my forest.
    Step within the trees.
    Step before my body.
    Do anything you please.

Your premise is wrong. Our sun is based off the latin sol which yes is also the basis of the term solar. The argument could be made that we are THE solar system (or sun system) and all other systems are star systems but I think of it this way. If there is one fork on the table you can refer to it as the fork in reference to that particular table. It is not the only fork in existence but in that particular dining system it is the only relevant fork meaning that a fork can become the fork which is only so in context. Likewise we can make the case in our solar system we have a sun that is the sun in relation to our particular system. In other systems (but certianly not all) there is an article which walks and quacks in the same manner as what we refer to as our sun so I am pressed to conclude that to us our sun is the sun but to an outside observer it must nesseicarily be a sun. Notice I make a particular distinction between star and sun. I do this because we could classify many things as stars but in my own opinion our star is in a class of stars with particular properties that would result in a number of stars so identical to our own sun in various ways that a distinction would be arbitrary.

I mean think of the saying "My love burns with the intensity of 1,000 suns". There are obviously more than one suns.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    When in doubt about astronomical terms, the English language will provide you with the answer. Do we write solar system with a capital S? If we do not we can safely say the term applies to multiple bodies/objects/phenomenon.
    Your premise is wrong. Our sun is based off the latin sol which yes is also the basis of the term solar. The argument could be made that we are THE solar system (or sun system) and all other systems are star systems but I think of it this way. If there is one fork on the table you can refer to it as the fork in reference to that particular table. It is not the only fork in existence but in that particular dining system it is the only relevant fork meaning that a fork can become the fork which is only so in context. Likewise we can make the case in our solar system we have a sun that is the sun in relation to our particular system. In other systems (but certianly not all) there is an article which walks and quacks in the same manner as what we refer to as our sun so I am pressed to conclude that to us our sun is the sun but to an outside observer it must nesseicarily be a sun. Notice I make a particular distinction between star and sun. I do this because we could classify many things as stars but in my own opinion our star is in a class of stars with particular properties that would result in a number of stars so identical to our own sun in various ways that a distinction would be arbitrary.

I mean think of the saying "My love burns with the intensity of 1,000 suns". There are obviously more than one suns.

The fork analogy is a good one by the way. Solar system refers to the concept of a solar system not the name of one particular thing.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    You're right and I'm wrong, and I will come down on you harder than the gust of 1,000 winds.

Fuuuuuck I was hoping I had made a unique observation and somehow changed the course of astronomy but AS ALWAYS niggas in space prove to know everything.
    You're right and I'm wrong, and I will come down on you harder than the gust of 1,000 winds.

Fuuuuuck I was hoping I had made a unique observation and somehow changed the course of astronomy but AS ALWAYS niggas in space prove to know everything.

Don't give up yet, there's lots of things even space niggas don't know. There just happens to be a small concentration of people with a lot of knowledge on a multitude of subjects here, i'd love for you to join us fam, stay curious.
    bling bling Dark Matter
    sol = SATURN
    they are procedurally generated
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    When in doubt about astronomical terms, the English language will provide you with the answer. Do we write solar system with a capital S? If we do not we can safely say the term applies to multiple bodies/objects/phenomenon.

The schoolhouse explanation of the language would suggest this is true but it's not really how English works. There are questions about what is and isn't a proper noun but putting that aside there are unique identifiers that we don't capitalize by convention. Consider the sentence "I am going to school", school is not considered a proper noun yet we take the subject of that sentence to be one particular place. Similarly it can be modified by an article which proper nouns can not ("I'm going to the school to see what happened") but still refers to a unique place.
    The schoolhouse explanation of the language would suggest this is true but it's not really how English works. There are questions about what is and isn't a proper noun but putting that aside there are unique identifiers that we don't capitalize by convention. Consider the sentence "I am going to school", school is not considered a proper noun yet we take the subject of that sentence to be one particular place. Similarly it can be modified by an article which proper nouns can not ("I'm going to the school to see what happened") but still refers to a unique place.

I'm gonna' be honest with you Lan and i don't mean to be a dick but everyone who doesn't land on the spectrum near assburgers knows that when i say " The English language will provide you with teh answer" I don't mean it covers every single scenario and should be applied as a rule to trying to figure out what we mean with astronomical denomination X or Y. But that i mean that what i said in general makes sense. And that i mean it as a clue rather than a definitive solution to the problem.
    bling bling Dark Matter
    Helios is said to drive a golden chariot drawn by steeds

the Golden Age was associated with the reign of Saturn

His association with the "Saturnian" Golden Age eventually caused him to become the god of "time", i.e., calendars, seasons, and harvests
    Originally posted by bling bling sol = SATURN

Nope.

Chronos / Cronus = Saturn. Son of Neptune the God of the depths of the eternal seas, and father of Jupiter, Father and king of the Olympian gods.
    bling bling Dark Matter
    saturn = ’Ēl
Jump to Top