User Controls

What's for Dinner?

Lanny Bird of Courage
    ITT: post what you're having for dinner (or any other meal for that matter). Pics are a plus.

For me, vegan potato curry with peas and garbanzo beans with a side of cheap bourbon/fireball:

I've made this dish before but I added extra pepper this time so it has a nice kick. I think I went a little too heavy on the garam marsala though because the cinnamon/cardamon taste is more prominent than I think it should be in a savory dish.

Now U
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    Same thing as always. (Extra) Long grain white rice: Cooked in Aroma rice cooker, then allowed to rest at least 20 minutes (I like an hour) so that all excess moisture is absorbed and the rice is loose and fluffy. To it I add MSG, Mazola chicken bullion powder, Tony Chachere's salt free (to avoid excess sodium, which dehydrates me) seasoning as a pre-mixed general seasoning, and one of the various flavors of Arroy-D curry paste, cooked over low heat with coconut oil beforehand so that it and the fat soluble components may dissolve, and sriracha hot sauce if it needs more of a kick.

Potatoes are cut and then microwaved for 15 minutes.

The meat is generally either beef, pork, or chicken, sometimes with shrimp. Today it is pure (fuck the ones with soy filler) beef patties (LPT: They can be significantly cheaper than ground beef), Black Forest ends and pieces bacon, and shrimp (ez peel white is only $4/lb at Kroger right now). All microwaved beforehand to reduce cooking time and because this has been found to greatly reduce the formation of the carcinogenic advanced glycation end products (AGEs) that are produced when meat is cooked at a high temperature (charring/searing). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_glycation_end-product#Foods
    Towards the end I add in some curry paste/powder and MSG, then move it to the side and scramble eggs.

This is all mixed together into a curry bowl.

Drinks are either water, Kroger store brand decaf instant coffee (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/20/coffee-may-protect-the-liver/), or artificially flavored and sweetened drink mixes. Wyler's light aspartame sweetened grape and fruit punch flavors are excellent.

Although Wednesdays and Mondays also include beef liver for the various nutrients (highly nutritious, the best there is, in fact) and canned salmon for the omega 3s (softgels have problems with oxidation and rancidity, there may be other substances in fish meat, possibly the protein, that are synergistic).
    Mayberry Houston
    Here's what I made for lunch:

Veggie hash over rice with pork chop

Number13 African Astronaut [dispute my snotty-nosed seagull]
    I can't cook, probably going to have a frozen pizza or something.
    Malice are you someone who works in the food industry or something? or is this your usual obsessiveness?
    The latter. Avoids anything harmful, very cheap, I don't particularly about the flavor, but it's better than average, macros are within an acceptable range (Carbohydrate theory of obesity is bad science, although the diet can be useful.), easy to make and produces enough for two days.

Nearly anyone can cook, it's a matter of following basic instructions and mindfulness. Generally people are either too lazy/ADD to learn, or their ability to sustain attention or memory is too poor to avoid fucking things up.
    I got a crate of cherries from my neighbor so cherries. A whole shitload.
    Chronic Yung Blood
    Buffalo wings and french fries, garlic toast, bleu cheese, and Pepsi.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Same thing as always.

Do you really stick to that and just change meats and throw in beef liver regularly? Not even hating blood, I totally appreciate the asceticism, I've had really homogenous diets for spans of multiple months before and it's definitely beneficial in terms of having more time for other things and it's probably more healthy because when I eat a single dish for a full month or more I put more time into making sure it's well balanced but I could never keep it going for more than like ~12 weeks before I came to just really despise mealtime despite being really hungry so I'd end up eating lightly and then being really hungry the following day. I sometimes wish I had some super generic soylent green type nutrient I could consume as a totally neutral experience and prepare in less time than it took to eat but then I realize whenever I have something that approaches that (like a regimented homogeneous diet where prep takes a long time but yields enough food that I don't have to worry about prepping again for a week+) I just don't enjoy eating enough to make it a win in terms of time. I sorta wish I had whatever quality (probably autism, to be honest) that it takes to enjoy the same meal over and over but ultimately it seems like a sufficiently deeply ingrained desire for novelty/variety that I'll never be able to maintain an acceptable level of net-happiness without regular changeups in diet.

Lately I've been diversifying my diet a bit, cooking more (and to good effect I think), it definitely takes more time but I'm starting to enjoy the activity itself. Music and a little alcohol/recreational drug use beforehand helps a lot too.

The activity of making food itself is, as I'm sure you know, pretty uninteresting. Even when I was cooking beef bourguignon on a weekly basis, lighting a pot full of vegetables on fire is really only cool the first handful of times and then becomes old hat, but there's a certain rhythm to it that's pacifying.

A related story, but really only tangentially, took some 2-fma so this is probably unrelated ranting (but probably still interesting to you, malice, for psychoanalysis): When I was in high school there was this art class everyone had to take as this kind of lip service to whatever hippy population remains in california and insisted art not be cut from the curriculum. The guy who taught it was an old white guy, he was pretty quiet but just a really nice soul. He always maintained really strong eye-contact and I remember it making me uncomfortable (although it wasn't like he was staring me down or anything, he just looked at you really intensely), but his eyes always looked a little sad (on a side note, he once gave me a really expensive fountain pen and said, and this is a literal quote which has stuck with me even though I don't remember his name, "here, I trust you implicitly" and the way he looked at me just screamed so clearly that he fully expected me the ruin that pen but he was giving it to me anyway. Sometimes I think he knew I got that out of him and it was his way of making sure I didn't fuck with his shit but it just seemed so sincere I have a hard time doubting my recollection even in my most cynical moments.). Back them I was a hardcore STEM-fag so I was pretty dismissive to art in pretty much any form (except engineering, but then it was engineering and totally divorced from art in my mind), I thought it was just a class I had to take to get through to college, so I was like "whatever, I'll just do the assignments and be done with it". But on the first day he was like "you need 500 points to pass this class, each day you decide how many points your work was worth", and one dude drew a stick figure and was like "this is worth 500 point" and he was like "alright". I was a pussy and did some math and was like "I need to earn X points each day to be done by the end of the semester" and just wrote down X points each day regardless. BUT, since I had to sit in that class every day I still had to fill my time with something. The first few days I just talked shit with other niggas in the class, there was this black chick who was all up on my dick but I was like "nope" who I would spend the 60 minutes insulting and shit (it was cringeworthy, on both sides) but that got old mighty quick. So eventually I got bored and then one day was digging around the supplies room (which had all kinds of cool shit in it, 90% of it personally owned by art teacher bro) and came across a loom (and inkle look, to be specific) and art teacher bro gave me a book about using it (he also had a minor library of art books) and I was like "what the fuck, I'll try weaving". So that was a really long buildup to the point: I found that working on that loom while listening to music to be perhaps the most content I've ever felt in my life. It wasn't the ecstatic highs that I've felt from various accomplishments or intense euphoria certain drugs can bring on, but it was a kind of overall peacefulness and well being that was really profound. I don't know if it was some weird biological recall to an era where my ancestors who weaved survived better than anyone else or if the slow repetitive process induced some kind of quasi-trance or what, but the experience was intense enough that I remember it the better part of a decade later when I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Being naturally over-analytic, I can't do anything for more than a few minutes without backing up and asking "does this produce more per time-unit than I can at the highest paying job I hold" but there are these weird niche activities like weaving where I just don't feel the urge to do that calculation and I think it generally makes the process a sort of relaxed that I rarely feel. ANYWAY, lately when I've been cooking I feel a similar sensation of not being concerned about activity efficiency, like it's alright if it's not maximizing the use of my time, it's fulfilling in and of itself.

/rant

P.S. I'm totally gonna email that art teacher, haven't thought about him in a while, he was a trill ass nigga.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I can't cook, probably going to have a frozen pizza or something.
    Malice are you someone who works in the food industry or something? or is this your usual obsessiveness?

I'd suggest you try it. I couldn't cook until I started doing it. I mean I'm sure not everyone enjoys it, that's OK, but I think even if you don't see the appeal in it initially it's worth trying out because I didn't either and now I get a blast out of it (which is in addition to the health benefits of eating less prepared food). I'd suggest trying to cook one of your favorite dishes at restaurants or that you had when living with your parents or something. It surprises a lot of people (it did with me) that even novices can cook pretty "advanced" dishes. Now and then there are things where you have to resort to a diminished quality without specialty cookware but even then you can make very fancy dishes with really basic cooking stuff if you invest a little more time (as an example, I moved recently and last week I wanted to make a dish that included lime zest but I didn't own a grater/zester so I googled how to zest a lime with a knife. It takes a more time to do but if you're trying something out it's definitely worth it to try it the most minimal way to see if you're pleased with the results before optimizing with special equipment). I guess my point is to give it a try, if you don't like it at all then all you've lost is a half hour to a couple of hours of time which are pretty insignificant next to the fun that cooking can be in and of itself as well as the benefits it brings (good food, generally a healthier diet, bitches think that shit is romantic as shit).

P.S. Number13, mah nigga! Good to see you blood! You're one of my fav posters. Were you reg'd under a different handle on rdfrn or did you just make an appearance? Good to have ya around.
    Number13 African Astronaut [dispute my snotty-nosed seagull]
    I'd suggest you try it. I couldn't cook until I started doing it. I mean I'm sure not everyone enjoys it, that's OK, but I think even if you don't see the appeal in it initially it's worth trying out because I didn't either and now I get a blast out of it (which is in addition to the health benefits of eating less prepared food). I'd suggest trying to cook one of your favorite dishes at restaurants or that you had when living with your parents or something. It surprises a lot of people (it did with me) that even novices can cook pretty "advanced" dishes. Now and then there are things where you have to resort to a diminished quality without specialty cookware but even then you can make very fancy dishes with really basic cooking stuff if you invest a little more time (as an example, I moved recently and last week I wanted to make a dish that included lime zest but I didn't own a grater/zester so I googled how to zest a lime with a knife. It takes a more time to do but if you're trying something out it's definitely worth it to try it the most minimal way to see if you're pleased with the results before optimizing with special equipment). I guess my point is to give it a try, if you don't like it at all then all you've lost is a half hour to a couple of hours of time which are pretty insignificant next to the fun that cooking can be in and of itself as well as the benefits it brings (good food, generally a healthier diet, bitches think that shit is romantic as shit).
    I've tried cooking before but I don't have the memory for ingredient amounts and temperature/timing stuff and I eventually got too frustrated with it, when I'm cooking with someone instructing and it all goes well that feels good.
    Plus the meals I like aren't too difficult(boil pasta, put sauce and cheese on, bake for however long etc)

P.S. Number13, mah nigga! Good to see you blood! You're one of my fav posters. Were you reg'd under a different handle on rdfrn or did you just make an appearance? Good to have ya around.
    You were the one who convinced me to make an account on zoklet instead of just lurking, thanks for that.
    I had an account on rdfrn but I wasn't around much at all because the place didn't seem as active, I didn't even know it had gone nuclear until a while after and I didn't know why it happened though I've since been enlightened.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I've tried cooking before but I don't have the memory for ingredient amounts and temperature/timing stuff and I eventually got too frustrated with it, when I'm cooking with someone instructing and it all goes well that feels good.

For sure, I'm pretty bad with remembering stuff too. My computer is set up like 4 steps away from my kitchen and when I try a recipe for the first time I find myself walking back and forth multiple times for one ingredient lol. Having a recipe book in the kitchen or a recipe on a computer nearby (sometimes I take my laptop into the kitchen while being very careful not to dump food on it by accident) is a must IMO. The far more interesting part is in deciding on substitutions (which is an area where experimentation can be a bit risky but very rewarding when it pays off) and re-adjusting ratios of ingredients, especially spices, to meet your taste. I think the mark of a good cook is more in being able to taste a dish and decide if certain flavors are too strong or too weak than being able to memorize ingredients and quantities by heart.

Plus the meals I like aren't too difficult(boil pasta, put sauce and cheese on, bake for however long etc)

I mean, pasta is a food as much as anything else is. I'm no master chef but I think that if you cook pasta for yourself then you know how to cook. I mean maybe knowing one recipe isn't quite as impressive as someone who can make a dozen dishes out of sauce packets or whatever but if you can make a meal then you can cook in my book. I definitely think there's value in branching out, but then like I said in my second to last long winded rant ITT, I'm the kind of person who can't seem to be happy with the same meal time and again.

You were the one who convinced me to make an account on zoklet instead of just lurking, thanks for that.
    I had an account on rdfrn but I wasn't around much at all because the place didn't seem as active, I didn't even know it had gone nuclear until a while after and I didn't know why it happened though I've since been enlightened.

Aww <3 u blood.

I'm not the one that decides if this place is active or not (although I obviously hope it is) but if you ever have a question or thread on a topic I might know something about (basicially just tech stuff, heh, afraid I'm pretty much a one trick pony unless you're interested in highly opinionated, analytic tinted views on a handful of philosophers) I'm happy to reply to the best of my ability, and if I miss a thread feel free to PM me.
    My ultra strict diet is unbroken over many years. I do not require or have cheat days. No added sugar, most vegetable oils (coconut is preferred choice, olive is OK, canola - maybe), or grains, other than white rice (Don't really like pseudograins either, they still hurt my teeth/gums even after a soak and rinse, likely due to residual phytic acid, and they really aren't that good.).

I don't and never have derived much pleasure from food, which makes it easier. Also do intermittent fasting, with the fasted period as long as possible, while still allowing myself to comfortably get in the calories I need during the feeding period. I genuinely don't get hungry during the day, and only eat 1 or 2 meals at night, I'm not one of those people that deludes themselves about this. Leptin resistance is likely the main driver of excessive hunger and what will cause the most problems and need to be corrected for people attempting this style of diet. Strength training (weight lifting), HIIT, my diet, and supplements (Mainly a good curcumin supplement, and testosterone helped a lot to gain muscle and lose fat, particularly along the abdominal region, which seems to be the most harmful type of fat. Oh, and vitamin d3/sunlight is very important as well.).

They're really fleeting simple pleasures. Allegedly Aldous Huxley said "An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex." There have to be better things than having receptors on your tongue activated by foodstuff. I'm rarely particularly impressed, even under the influence of cannabis, I'd still prefer something more engaging, so it's easy to procrastinate and put off eating. I may have an unusually weak sense of smell/taste, though.

Although, I do pickup random stuff on sale from Grocery Outlet. It's not as monotonous as it seems, but it's pretty close. For example, today I added kimchi fried in coconut oil, with a light coating of sweet rice flour and corn starch added, then eggs.

If I could plug myself into a socket and derive my energy from electricity I would never eat. Hopefully one day soon we'll have cyber fudge (I heard virtual tastes like crap.) and be able to indulge without repercussion, then I'll see if I've been missing anything. Go on a multi-day binge and finally get sick of food once and for all, forever satiated with nothing new, nothing untasted, familiar with all flavors. Then I can subsist on perfected Soylent delivered to my door by Amazon drones.

As to your story, have you ever seriously tried meditation? I never saw much value in it, and when I tried it during that period it only made me sleepy and bored, but it's really not as simple as most assume, which is likely why they end up doing it "wrong". I now go in with a goal, or go through various techniques to achieve different goals, what I want to promote. Focus, calm, happiness, awareness/wakefulness/mindfulness, expanding awareness my surrounding environment, body, or mind to the maximum, the development of emotions, a feeling of unity and connection etc.

Other than that, you said you really enjoyed the euphoria you felt when coming up on AL-LAD. I highly suggest that the next time you trip you try taking a warm/hot shower during the come up. It's simply a perfect match. The simple pleasure of warmth puts you in a good state of mind, a good emotional state (Even I rarely feel bad during a nice shower.), the simple physical actions, the repetition/routine is good for keeping you occupied during the onset period, which can be awkward, promotes entering a trance like state, where intrusive thoughts are less likely to enter, your imagination and thinking is enhanced, the tactile feedback from water also seems to have an effect. There's actually research on this, and the "shower thought" phenomenon does have neurological correlates, changes in brain waves. During one mushroom trip I just sat on the floor of the shower and felt at ease learning to navigate in the trip (I remember thinking of Akira, the manga, and the allusions to the nature of the source of their psychokinetic power. "Do not try to stop the flow to create stillness and focus on one scene, divert part of it into pocket. Step outside the flow. I can't remember all my trip thoughts, makes more sense when you're in that state.), seeing what my mind could create, felt like I would have been content to be in that state forever.

As for the memory problems of you two, I being the undisputed autistic memory master, code names "Rain Man", "Perfect Recall", and "One man NSA department":

(Try the test yourself to get a grasp of how hard this is.)

I highly recommend a bacopa cycle. Can be great for sleep too, much more vivid dreams, sometimes unusually sweet/pleasant ones, along with much better recall. PRL-8-53 can also be interesting to play around with, especially if you're willing to try it intranasally like I did, which feels horrible, btw, although I didn't find it that bad (I mean, it's bearable.) and the brunt of it didn't last very long, but I warned you.
    Helvetica Yung Blood
    Shrimp tacos, chips with homemade queso. Not all that difficult but the individual components are time consuming.
    Wolven Throne Yung Blood
    Meatballs and marinara, doused in parmasean cheese.
    tee hee hee Naturally Camouflaged [slangily complete this slumberer]
    Its very, very hot so probably just liquids (milk, water) and a bit of fruit.
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Lannys posts make me wanna kill myself.
    Honestly

Also...
    "I can go all summer" Ur dumb bud.
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    Is this what its come to here? Posting what we had for fucking dinner. Does anyone even give an actual fuck what anyone else had for dinner at all?

What is this fucking Facebook?

DontTellEm Black Hole
    Omg...
    *Throws dinner on the floor.*
    Applebottm Houston [our biased demode moss-trooper]
    not sure. i, possibly, may be going out for dinner this evening. if i don't end up going out... i'll make chicken skewers for my lil' fella at home- if he doesn't have a date either.
    Kinks Enter's Waifu [bitch the twenty-second stewpan]
    Eating is for losers
Jump to Top