User Controls

What type of chemical will damage plastic to a small degree?

SBTlauien African Astronaut
    I have some plastic that I would like to damage a small amount but not ti much. I dont want ti completely melt the plastic, just slightly damage the surface. I have tried cutting open a battery and rubbing the black powder onto the plastic but it didn't do anything. I am think hydrichloic acid maybe. Also, different time intervals of exposer could make a differece. I am willing to try a large range of time intervals.
    Depending on the type of plastic any acid wont do anything really. If you can tell us what kind of plastic it is (amino resin, phenolyc, polyeurothane etcetera) we can help you out further.

There are a number of plastics that are pretty fucking chemical resistant.

BTW why do you want to damage it? Whats the use?
    Have you considered using a hairdryer or other controlled heat source to apply heat to cause just the amount of damage your looking for?
    Polyester, and yes I have tried heat which did not work. I actually need something that will only change the very outside layer, not completely melt the plastic.
    Try using alcohol or heat + chems. This link should help you somewhat http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ch...ter-d_784.html

bear in mind polyester resins combine excellent mechanical, electrical and thermal properties with very good chemical resistance and dimensional stability
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Acetone.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    yeah, you'd want the solvent that corresponds to your specific plastic

if you want to weaken it without visibly damaging it, your best bet might be to drill a hole or core it out and apply the solvent to the inside
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Crazy Glue [cyanoacrylate]

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exothermic_process

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy
    I dont want to weaken it though. I just want it to look a little bit wore on the outside.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    take some sandpaper to it?
    Hewfil1 Houston
    Acetone.

Acetone is often used to bind together plastics, so yes, this would be perfect.
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    Solvent is the way to go.
    http://www.hillas.com/Categories/Other-Electrical-Products/3M-High-Power-Brake-Cleaner-08880-14-oz-net-wt-12-cans-per-case-Spanish.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiApruyBRCFqoDu1pbk9rkBEiQAF8EFdbslngkhEIta81_dq2asZpDlh9m8ZJ0As0aYc57NU7UaAh0N8P8HAQ
    Brake cleaner and auto store type of items are a good idea. Have you actually used that type of brake cleaner?

I was looking at some solvents at a retail store. It would have to be an easy to acquire solvent. What I noticed at a local retail store was Acetone, Denatured Alcohol, Lacquer Thinner, and a few others.
    Acetone seems to be the consensus. Should be one of the easiest ones to get too.
    How does it generally react with plastic? Like if I dropped a few drips onto a plastic baggy. Would it just stain it a little but still be see through?
    Do an experiment and report back.
    Hewfil1 Houston
    How does it generally react with plastic? Like if I dropped a few drips onto a plastic baggy. Would it just stain it a little but still be see through?
    A plastic bag is a different type. It's a poly.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Acetone eats plastic like you woulndt believe, dillute with lotsa water if you only want to make it look worn
    Sharpie Houston
    Sometimes gasoline has an effect on certain plastics.

And like Sophie said, acetone is some potent stuff, I've seen it eat through plastic cups, so a bag wouldn't be a problem at all.
    I'll start experimenting, maybe tomorrow and I'll report my findings.
Jump to Top