User Controls

Anyone want to help me write some less terrible forum software?

Lanny Bird of Courage
    So vb5 blows, like really bad. All I really want is the glory days of vB3 but even finding an install is hard these days and it's always old, addons are DIY if you can even find them. There are other options but almost all of the involve more fancy JS shit than I really want in a forum and none of them support migration from vb5 so at the point that I need to write my own mig and grok someone else's schema to do so it becomes almost as much work to just write something basic from scratch. I'm thinking I can get something out the door in ~3k loc but who knows how realistic that is.

So I've started on a project, will probably forget about it before I'm done but what the hell. Using python/django because this is the kind of CRUD-y app Django was made for, gulp build on the frontend but all it's doing right now is LESS compilation, if you have UI or serverside experience but haven't used the relevant libs/frameworks I'm still happy to take PRs and do code review. If you want to dip your toes in on webdev this is not a bad teeth-cutting project. Django tends to come off a bit byzantine if you're never looked at a web framework before so if you're like just picking up programming this may not be for you but otherwise all skill levels are welcome.

Repo isn't public yet, if no one cares I'll just leave it private, if anyone is interested I'll pull my local config out and slap together the standard "how to build" document.
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    What do you think about my ghetto forum?

jlp4t5i2pvwdvkx3.onion:8080
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Not much of a web dev but if we're coding in python i am sure i will manage. Teach me how to Django and i will put in some commits.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    django is for faggots
    you are a faggot

'we decided to refuse to use standard database terminology because master/slave is racist'
    Let's see it.
    Glad you've decided to do something :)
    TBH I always wondered why this community never migrated to image board format. There is a good amount of software out there that can be easily modified. There are threads on this very site about it that I started. Anyway, I dont care to contribute to the code side of this website but maybe if you archive the vb5 shitfest and turn it into what basically ammounts to an image board + a couple extra features you may really have something.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    django is for faggots
    you are a faggot

'we decided to refuse to use standard database terminology because master/slave is racist'

Half of original core was an irredeemable SJW (actually posted like a 10k word essay on why he a retard and got more or less booted from the community under that alias for it) and the other half didn't really care (Jacob and Adrian respectively, if you care) so there's not much you can do. I am happy to criticize Django in a lot of dimensions, specifically the absence of a clear markup-producing isomorph makes it hard to consider it a long-term contender in light of industry trends and it's true core does have a political agenda (although besides such drama as the master/slave episode which is, on the whole, pretty insignificant they are largely impotent to carry it out).

This doesn't change the fact that for CRUD apps where you don't need to sweat a page reload it's pretty much the best you can do. Look at the big contenders: Rails (language preference is a wash, django wins on idiom and batteries-included-ness), Cake (loses on language, at best a wash in all other dimensions), Node/Express (loses on language, loose hard on feature-richness, wins on composability, wins on perf, maybe a winner in general (ignoring the abortion that is the NPM ecosystem) but not in the CRUD arena), and more domineering Node frameworks (think React and its ecosystem) (pretty much the same story as node but trade some composability for some features that still aren't really CRUD friendly) and it makes a lot of sense in a lot of place, although not always the most glamorous places.

TBH I always wondered why this community never migrated to image board format. There is a good amount of software out there that can be easily modified. There are threads on this very site about it that I started. Anyway, I dont care to contribute to the code side of this website but maybe if you archive the vb5 shitfest and turn it into what basically ammounts to an image board + a couple extra features you may really have something.

​There are a lot of image boards in the world, I can enjoy some chan shitposting but mandatory pseudonymous forums will always be what I grew up with and what I want in a place to call home. I plan to migrate the vb5 DB over, we'll see how realistic that is once I dive into the guts of it but was able to pull a user-migration script for 5 to 3 together in an hour or so so I think it's within the realm of possibility.
    You could disable the "anonymous" function and make it login only. Not saying its the way the forum should go just saying it is an option.
    ACAB Houston
    Nah.
    Fuck imageboards. 4cuck rejected my appeal and 8fag moves like mollases and is populated by brony pedophiles.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Fuck imageboards. 4cuck rejected my appeal and 8fag moves like mollases and is populated by brony pedophiles.

Hey chiefenginigga, we're engineering a new space station. Get to work.
    I'm a supervisor. I was gonna try to buy zoklet.net and totse.com and redirect them here but I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I want to be supervised so hard. I want to be told and commanded and directed like a little fucking puppet- a fucking ragdoll tossed and turned and treated like the fuccboi that I am. Have your way with me. Abuse me. Cuck me. Suck me. Fuck me. Fill me. Make me your little bitch.

Thank you.
    Get back in the meth cooking module Mq! Nobody told you you can speak!.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Repo is now public on github, PRs or questions welcome.
    Can you provide a link to the repo?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    sure: https://github.com/RyanJenkins/ISS
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    [h=2]TODO[/h]
    • Not look like shit
    I've only used Python once(still haven't finished that), but how is the performance of Django compared to just reinventing the wheel and starting from scratch?
Jump to Top