User Controls

So i was like: I am too elite for Mint.

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    But i do like Ubuntu, so i got backbox because mannnnn Debian is so last season, and Kali is the new Skid OS. Backbox came preinstalled with muh haxxing tools(But not over 9000 of them like some other pentesting distros which is wholly unnecessary), Bash, Tor, anonimity tools and the like, muh text editors and muh gimp. I opted for full disk encryption on installation. It pleases me greatly, plus it runs a bit lighter than mint and is generally better.

Opinions?
    Never used it, guess I'll fire up a VM when I get some time and test it out. Also, Mint is like the slow younger brother of Ubuntu, it's amazing that they've managed to fuck up their security model so badly when most packages come directly from the Ubuntu repos. If you don't enable level 4 and 5 updates or use apt-get dist-upgrade, it will block installation of some major security updates. WTF? I can't imagine anyone uses Mint in a professional environment.

I hate Debian too, because they're one of the only distros that doesn't build packages with --fstack-protector or --fstack-protector-strong enabled. Why? Who the hell knows. Probably has something to do with trying to support over 9000 different architectures that nobody cares about.
    Never used it, guess I'll fire up a VM when I get some time and test it out. Also, Mint is like the slow younger brother of Ubuntu, it's amazing that they've managed to fuck up their security model so badly when most packages come directly from the Ubuntu repos. If you don't enable level 4 and 5 updates or use apt-get dist-upgrade, it will block installation of some major security updates. WTF? I can't imagine anyone uses Mint in a professional environment.

Pfft, i wasn't even aware. That makes no sense at all.

I hate Debian too, because they're one of the only distros that doesn't build packages with –fstack-protector or –fstack-protector-strong enabled. Why? Who the hell knows. Probably has something to do with trying to support over 9000 different architectures that nobody cares about.

[greentext]>over 9000 different architectures that nobody cares about[/greentext]

Did lol.
    antinatalism Tuskegee Airman
    install gentoo as general-purpose operating system and pentoo as pentesting distro. parrot os is decent too. btw, does backbox have systemdick?
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Sophie (But not over 9000 of them like some other pentesting distros which is wholly unnecessary)

Someone might use them all.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Ubuntu probably has the closest thing to acceptable UI of any desktop distro, bullshit with every other part of the project aside (seriously fuck pulse so much, and the asshat who crammed it into release like years before being ready).
    The reality is there is no year of the linux desktop though, design by committee has failed.
    If I was serious about using a linux workstation I'd probably go debian and some tiling WM and rice until I got sick of it and then live with whatever level of brokenness I ended up with.
    I'm not though so I can hardly be assed to install zsh and copy my .vimrc over to servers I work on, much less rig up some X craziness
    Use Windows.... it's what NSA use... If it's good enough for them lol
    I was a huge fan of crunchbang but for some reason i think its been discontinued. I never EVER liked mint. I tried it a few times and it just didnt spark my fancy. I like ubuntu to an extent but would definitly go for fedora instead. Really just personal preference.

In terms of UI I love the minimalist xfce or similar.

Havent used linux in a long ass time though so all of what I posted may be extremely outdated.

Linux is just objectively better at anything, except games. But i got high hopes for Steam OS.
    rizzy Yung Blood
    Originally posted by thelittlestnigger I was a huge fan of crunchbang but for some reason i think its been discontinued. I never EVER liked mint. I tried it a few times and it just didnt spark my fancy. I like ubuntu to an extent but would definitly go for fedora instead. Really just personal preference.

In terms of UI I love the minimalist xfce or similar.

Havent used linux in a long ass time though so all of what I posted may be extremely outdated.

Crunchbang was awesome. There are now two successors: BunsenLabs Linux and CrunchBang++. BunsenLabs is basically an evolved continuation of #! and is seen as the "official" #! spin-off. #!++ is basically a #! clone with a newer version of Debian underneath, I'd say it's simpler and lighter than BunsenLabs.
    Been using one of the three as my main OS for a few years now.

Originally posted by Sophie Linux is just objectively better at anything, except games. But i got high hopes for Steam OS.

Me too. Maybe with Vulkan things might get a bit better?
    Originally posted by rizzy Crunchbang was awesome. There are now two successors: BunsenLabs Linux and CrunchBang++. BunsenLabs is basically an evolved continuation of #! and is seen as the "official" #! spin-off. #!++ is basically a #! clone with a newer version of Debian underneath, I'd say it's simpler and lighter than BunsenLabs.
    Been using one of the three as my main OS for a few years now.

Me too. Maybe with Vulkan things might get a bit better?

We'll see. What's ETA on Steam OS?
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    It's out now.
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=steamos
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Ooo, neat.
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    I tried it out and it was quite buggy on the machine I was using so I installed mint and just put steam on it.
    Works good.Streaming is nice.
    Will run in VM shortly.
    Merlin Houston
    Real niggas use TempleOS
    Originally posted by Merlin Real niggas use TempleOS

Real God fearing niggas.
    zok jr. Houston
    arch
    Originally posted by zok jr. arch

I keep hearing a lot of good things about Arch, i've been meaning to get ity in VM to mess around with but i have a list of distros that i wanna run in VM i just never come around to it. Lol.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Arch is a cult, seriously, it's where crunchbang people went after it died. The appeal of arch is the appeal of dark souls, it's punishing and artificially difficult. If you want to do something for a challenge actually using arch for something is a good pick. If you want a sane OS where you don't spend your life futzing with config files and assembling a byzantine array of dependencies to install something everyone else gets by default then look elsewhere
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
Jump to Top