User Controls

Doing away with my desktop

SBTlauien African Astronaut
    For 2020 I'm planning on getting rid of my desk(which is really old) in my room and moving my desktop PC, printer, monitor, and other items on my current desk, to a tall industrial rack that I'm getting for a smaller area in my room. If I need to use my desktop PC(which I rarely have been lately. Only used it about four times last year), then I can just stand while using it. I'm not sure what I'll place in the place where my current desk is.

I can do everything on my laptops and I really don't need a desktop PC anymore. Has anyone else consider doing this, or even done this?
    i dont have an actual desktop for well over 10 years.

my PC is linked to my tv and i use a pair of wireless keyboard and mouse on it on my couch.

if my tv is newer i'd even be able to mirror my phone onto it as replacement PC.
    Originally posted by SBTlauien For 2020 I'm planning on getting rid of my desk(which is really old) in my room and moving my desktop PC, printer, monitor, and other items on my current desk, to a tall industrial rack that I'm getting for a smaller area in my room. If I need to use my desktop PC(which I rarely have been lately. Only used it about four times last year), then I can just stand while using it. I'm not sure what I'll place in the place where my current desk is.

I can do everything on my laptops and I really don't need a desktop PC anymore. Has anyone else consider doing this, or even done this?

My pc and all other related shit is on a shelf/rack in the closet. Wires run along the wall for wireless keyboard/mouse, and an hdmi cable runs to a ceiling mounted projector.

So my table can have nothing more than keyboard, mouse, and mousepad, and still have usable pc. The extra table space is great for fiddling with/ fixing/ building shit.
    A College Professor Space Nigga [your moreover breastless limestone]
    standing desks are so 2018 i use my phablet to trade block chain while jumping on my treadmill tramp-o-lien for the last 5 years

all my laptops i turned into a display of modern art and put pissjugs on them they are basically relics of A OLD ERA NOT THAT I know what that word means they serve as coasters for da jugs

wtf is a deck top is that like your grandpas mainframe ill kick his ass bitch
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Technologist motherfucker
    Yes I’m an old lady. I haven’t gotten rid of my desktop yet. I use it for printing things, and work meetings. That’s about it. I rarely use it, but I can’t seem to part with it. I know, I know, but I use my lappy for teaching, so I don’t use it much for other than that. I know I’m old😶
    A College Professor Space Nigga [your moreover breastless limestone]
    how much shmeel would you say is in your lappy, and do you ever need to turn it down?
    cigreting Tuskegee Airman
    I havent had a desktop for over 10 years either. I had a friend build me a badass gaming ASUS that I've been using since my college days. I got a huge monitor on it and its still fast as hell and has great graphics so I havent updated yet.
    Technologist motherfucker
    Originally posted by A College Professor how much shmeel would you say is in your lappy, and do you ever need to turn it down?

The shmeel is awful so I turn it down regularly.
    netstat Yung Blood
    Mine is about 10 years old and has been relegated to file/media/backup server and seedbox duties. Upgraded the graphics card to get smooth media playback and installed two 4TB HDDs in RAID1 to give me a decently robust storage setup. Nothing else I need a desktop for these days. I think the same is true for most people - the average user from the 90s and 00s treated their desktop as an interface between themselves and various web and word processing applications. Now that laptops and phones can handle these tasks and much more - my laptop with a quad core CPU and 16GB RAM can easily run multiple VMs simultaneously - desktops have little allure except to professionals who need a ton of computing power and gaymers.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    I keep my PC for gaming.
    Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    I use my phone for just about everything. I use my work laptop for anything I can’t do with my phone.
Jump to Top