User Controls

I have decided to stop collecting things

ORACLE Naturally Camouflaged
    I was looking at an Altoids tin sitting on my balcony table today. I kept it so I could keep dabs in it on butcher paper. I haven't done dabs in months.

Life is not going to last forever. I think collection is anathema to our true nature. A futile whimper in the face of impermanence. If one will form a collection, it must be for the benefit of others, not themselves. Other than that it is folly. I look around my home at thousands of dollars in wasted money, excess for a heart that yearned to be whole and filled its gaps with things that didn't fit. What am I going to take with me? How much of it do I use even once a year?

I realized I wouldn't mind just dropping my apartment and leaving. I don't really want almost anything in here. I have it but it doesn't make me happy. It's a symbol of my discontent and my failure to contest it.

I'm going to stop buying things I don't need and if I do, I'm going to start throwing or giving them away.

I do t want anything I don't need.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    agreed, I seem to have somehow had this idea programmed into me since I was a child that everything should have sentimental value of some sort, when in reality it all belongs in a bonfire
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    True fax. I almost anthropomorphize everything in a sense. I have an animist sense of "soul". It's completely irrational. I grow attachments to things in a human sense. For example my current EDC multitool has been an indispensable partner for over 2 years. It has helped me in multiple binds of different natures over those two years and been a reliable friend. If it got lost, I would search for it for way more time than it is worth to me. I could get another one in a blink and it wouldn't tickle. But it's not the same. It's not my reliable old friend. It's not the screwdriver buddy that helped me out when my bike got fucked in the woods. It's not the wire cutter I used to prepare lines for fishing with my dad. It's not the pliers that took those hooks out of the fish, it's not the knife that slitted them for gutting. It's as good in function but... It's not the same.
    I will take your Switch and anything else you don't need. Thank you.
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    collecting things is about control some of the time. It can be a coping mechanism that's hard to get out of. For whatever reason you collect things its very good youre conscious of it
    LOL PEOPLE THAT HAVE THINGS ARE STUPID AND DONT KNOW ABOUT ZEN LIFE THE SOONER THEY CAN ACCEPT THAT THE BETTER ,MAN.

Always and I do mean ALWAYS stop and ask yourself if you own yourr things or of YOUR THINGS own YOU. Like a cat the sooner the better turn up amd tune out, baby yeah. Big fucking nut!!!
    cigreting Dark Matter
    Funny timing, I've been putting lists together of shit to sell, and have been actively doing it. I find it sometimes fun to just make some extra money and see other people happy to own something I did at one time. That and the fact that I won't ever have to fix, or store the item ever again.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    anathema

Thank you Joey Flacon
    Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    Experiences > stuff
    itybit African Astronaut [daze my amino pe-tsai]
    I have a lot a things passed down by my Mom of sentimental value, they'll go to my kids when I die and so on down the line. I couldn't imagine ever getting rid of them which sounds like what your fishing knife and things mean to you Oracle. They're sentimental to you because of your Dad and your friend.
    Originally posted by Sudo collecting things is about control some of the time. It can be a coping mechanism that's hard to get out of. For whatever reason you collect things its very good youre conscious of it

There are different reasons.

For one thing, I have a "magician's pull" mentality. Nothing makes my penis girthier than having just the right thing for just the right situation and conversely nothing makes me more flaccid than needing a thing I threw away.

Another is I am mad spontaneous and impulsive in attempting new shit. I have a bunch of power tools and shit from hobbies I went hard on for like 2 weeks and now they are rotting in my spare bedroom. It's all stuff I like, stuff I wanted, stuff I would enjoy again if I ever felt the call, but I don't think I ever will. That's the problem, none of these passions ever died. I still think they're cool. I just don't have the energy or fucks to get to them.

A part of my soul burns at the idea of throwing them away because I know I still love it. There is potential there for me to express myself and explore in ways I never thought of before. Something magnetic about each item that made it connect to me in the first place.

Throwing it away feels like closing an unfinished chapter with four scratched through lines. I want to finish it.

What's really stopping me is that there are 2 ways I can get through this. One is to cut them away and pretend I was never interested, and move on. The other is to do what I set out to do, then put it aside with satisfaction.

One way is to work away the atrophy. The other is to amputate and move on. Frankly I've never been much for the latter and I've always taken pride in the former. It seems the great man's path.

I suppose I don't want to make the choice because it either means I'm stuck where I am, not throwing things away and planning for someday, or closing the book. But I then I guess inaction just makes the first choice for me. *Sigh*
Jump to Top