User Controls

Something is wrong with my computer (maybe)

netstat African Astronaut
    edited for privacy
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    check thermal paste and dust I guess

does it have a dedicated GPU? other sites with videos and shit might be firing that up

also I kind of want to build a threadripper but there are no threadripper/mini-itx boards
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I would have guessed it's a malicious or malbehaved extension if it's consistent, but if NIS is an exception that would suggest it really is site-dependent. Like a CNN tab will max out a core or two, even on good hardware, because it's doghit. But outside of shit-news sites I wouldn't expect an i5 to heat significantly. Could be the GPU thing, I don't even know if you can do CPU rendering of web video anymore, it's so rare to encounter a consumer machine that doesn't have some kind of video coprocessor, even if it's an APU or integrated graphics or whatever it is the kids call it these days.
    tee hee hee Naturally Camouflaged [slangily complete this slumberer]
    You've come to the right place there's lots of comp geeks here to help u out.
    Misterigh Houston
    Are you using it in bed with an electric blanket? Mine overheats if I use it while resting it on my legs with an electric blanket over my legs. Try placing a pillow inbetween it and the electric blanket on your legs. You can also just turn down the electric blanket to a lower setting.
    Solstice Naturally Camouflaged
    Try pouring a bunch of water into the vents and shit and see if it helps
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Misterigh Houston
    If you are using at the public library, make sure you are not setting it on top of a heated vent. I did this once and it caused my laptop to overheat so bad that it shut off. So just take it off of the heater and make sure to place it it on one of the many desks at the library. I know it can sometimes be difficult to find an available desk that is not being used by a homeless person but using the heater will cause your laptop to overheat.
    Originally posted by Misterigh If you are using at the public library, make sure you are not setting it on top of a heated vent. I did this once and it caused my laptop to overheat so bad that it shut off.

this is why we need IQ tests instead of captchas upon registration.
    Misterigh Houston
    If you are using it in the desert it may be the hot air that is causing it to overheat. I left one of my laptops in my trunk while in the desert once, and a capacitor busted causing a bubble on the touchpad. You need to turn on your vehicles AC and use the laptop inside on your vehicle.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    You could try turning the speed of your fans up in CMOS settings at post. Usually called up through F10, F9 or F1 at power up.
Jump to Top