User Controls

image blending for animation, quasi-3d, etc.

Industrial Houston
    is blending two images together to create an intermediate image that actually has enough characteristics of both source images to look like an intermediate frame a feasible idea? and, also, is this possible to do in realtime, in an animation program or any video editing software?

currently, i use gimp for image manipulation, since i've been using it since before i knew what torrenting was, and photoshop just wasn't ever as intuitive; i'm willing to learn to shop this, though.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Yeah you could do this in real time. When you go to Image Ready from within photoshop you can select your first frame, copy it to a second frame and add the adjustments that you want. Then there's a button that looks like three balls that go from big to small, you can use this to add in transition frames between the first frame and the one you copied. I really wish i could explain this better but unfortunately i can't. Maybe look into animation tutorials in photoshop/imageready.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Yeah, the basic idea of frame interpolation predates digital video but only became feasible generally in the last 20 years or so. The obvious approach is just a linear blend between source frames so your intermediary frame just looks like the two source images overlaid on each other but it often doesn't look that great, especially when you don't have a static background and on jump cuts. The modern approach is kind of a grab bag of tricks, static vs. moving content detection, frame diffing, cut detection, stuff like that. There was a desktop application that did it for home viewers that got some popularity a while ago, here it is: https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page

I've tried it, never did much for me and the off places where it falls down didn't really justify it to my mind but it can kick out some good results with a little tuning.
Jump to Top