User Controls

cheap pc build

arthur treacher African Astronaut
    My computer is all fucked up, and I need a new one. I decided to make my own, because I am cheap. Think this one is good enough to, say, run GTA5?

AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor

MSI A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z7pCYJ
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    Looks good,get a small ssd to run your os and a few games keep the 250 gb for storage.
    even cheaper, still viable?

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor

MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Vv8kL
    I'll say this, the gtx 960 is a better graphics adapter than the r7 260
    Thanks. I forget what graphics card I had in my old computer, but it died, as did the NIC card. I am not at home so I can't go look. It was a frankenstein computer anyway, a few different computers parted together in a dell optiplex case, one of them was a gaming computer that I traded my brother a few oz. of spice for back when he lived in Indiana, but the hard drive started to progressively get more and more bad sectors so I just grabbed another working tower I had laying around and cannibalized some parts from the gaming computer for it, and it was good enough to run gta 4 and the older skyrim/fallout type games but it wouldn't cut it for gta5. I might have some spare time coming up and I prefer solitude and a good game over socializing and carousing. Not because I am an agoraphobic neckbeard, it is more a case of 'been there, done that'. I got all that partying and raising hell out of my system years ago and now I am boring and semi-reclusive. I only talk to people if I have to. Anyways, it's shoplifting season again, and I won't be out there in the stores working, I will be sitting around on my ass waiting for methadone whores and wiggers to bring me merchandise, and for 'the receipt lady' to visit from time to time. I will need some entertainment. My cousin says that GTA5 multiplayer is pretty good, so I want to try it out. Thanks for the help.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    the most important component for any recent game is the GPU; I'm not too familiar with GTAV but the 960 should be ok (all the other components you chose are pretty standard budget-midrange)... just don't expect to be able to run it at 4k. you'll probably need to turn off shit like bloom and tone down the AA to get it to run smoothly at 1920x1080.'

check the specific games you want to play - if they support nvidia physx, nvidia cards will be able to do most of the physics processing, which takes quote a load off your CPU.

also, if you're willing to throw a bit more money at it, the 970 is quite a big step up from the 960.
    yeah I don't care about anything cutting edge, the most complicated thing I would use it for is to play multiplayer gta5, and I don't need the high graphics settings etc.

basically, I just want average or below average performance, but not poor performance. As long as its playable, it doesn't have to be pretty.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1905-gta-v-pc-fps-benchmark-graphics-cards

testing was done on an i7, but again the CPU doesn't matter nearly as much as the GPU
    yeah I don't care about anything cutting edge, the most complicated thing I would use it for is to play multiplayer gta5, and I don't need the high graphics settings etc.

basically, I just want average or below average performance, but not poor performance. As long as its playable, it doesn't have to be pretty.
    Baker in the day I had a 3.5 foot tower with one of the first 4 idea channel mainboards on the market. Plus it featured raid 0,1, and 3 for IDE. Add that to scsi controller card and n Jersey in the late 90s I had close to 2 TV storage in that tower.

Now I have a decent laptop with a bad 55 dollar hard drive that I can't be fucked to replace so I do everything off of an LG G3.
    I messed up one of the lists up there, I was going to use a pentium dual-core processor
    instead of the quad-core processor

like this:

Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor

Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PpJhHx
    Here are Rockstar's minimum and reccomended hardware specs for GTA 5. You might want to consider the quad core over the dual core but everything else appears to meet the reccomended specs.

[FONT=Roboto][SIZE=16px]Minimum Specs[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2* (*NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
    • Memory: 4GB
    • Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
    • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
    • HDD Space: 65GB
    [FONT=Roboto][SIZE=16px]Recommended Specs[/SIZE][/FONT]
    • OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
    • Memory: 8GB
    • Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
    • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
    • HDD Space: 65GB
    yeah, that makes sense, as to why I had the quad core processor in the list of parts I was going to get...I was like 'how did that get in there'?

decided to go with the first one, ordered everything last night. thanks for the help, folks.
    Mug some digital ho's in my name and call us even bro.
Jump to Top