User Controls

US military is testing "underwater bullets"

Kuntzschutz African Astronaut
    Strangely, I had a dream someone was shooting at me last night and I jumped into the water to escape the bullets. Then today I see this article.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7781209/US-military-testing-underwater-bullets-dont-slow-down.html

In the same night, in a separate dream, someone was interrogating me, but trying to make it seem like a normal conversation, to see if I was a spy or something. Weird, as always

The US military is testing bullets that can be fired underwater, potentially enabling Navy SEALs to engage in submarine combat and sink enemy boats from below.

Water is 800 times denser than air at sea level, meaning normal bullets slow down underwater to the point that they’re rendered ineffective.

The bullets manufactured by DSG Technologies are made from tungsten – a metal with a high resistance to corrosion – and have a small hole in the tip.

This allows a bubble to form around the bullet as it travels through the water – a process called supercavitation.

The bubble reduces the drag of the bullet, allowing it to move more rapidly through water.

Norway-based DGS claims its ammo can travel 200 feet underwater and pierce through two centimetres of steel, fired from 55 feet away through water.

WHAT IS SUPERCAVITATION?
    Supercavitation is an extreme form of cavitation – a physical phenomenon in which rapid changes of pressure in a liquid lead to the formation of vapour bubbles.

It can happen when water is accelerated to high speeds, like when turning a sharp corner around a moving piece of metal such as a ship's propeller.

The bubbles can be large enough to encompass an object travelling through the liquid, greatly reducing drag on the object. This enables it to achieve very high speeds as it travels.

The bullets also have an 'unconventional shape' and significant mass that give the bullets 'great armour piercing capability' against multi-layer structures, such as submarines.

This shape is also effective against targets with fibre structure or mud – even when covered by sand.

DGS says its ammunition doesn’t require the use of any special weapons, claiming it can be used with ‘standard weapons – just switch the ammo’.

The particular bullets being tested by the US military – DSG’s .50 caliber CAV-X bullets – are suitable for use in partial or fully submerged weapons, regardless of whether the target is in water or on the surface, the company says.

According to Business Insider, they are being tested by the Office of the Secretary of Defense’s Combating Terrorism Technical Support Office (CTTSO), which plans and synchronises operations against terrorist networks.

Not sure I could believe their claim, but that's damn cool if true. I may have to steal their idea since they always attempt to steal my ideas anyway.
    Number13 African Astronaut [dispute my snotty-nosed seagull]
    Didn't the russians already make this 40 years ago?
    Also what happened to the old frogman putting a lump of c4 on the bottom of a boat?

Also tungsten through an ar lol 100 round service life
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    supercavitation creates a short-lived heat source, like a little explosion. I figure they use tungsten so the effect doesn't immediately disintegrate the bullet, but the bubble only persists for a very short time (like an explosion). I don't see how it'd reduce friction for long enough to make the kind of distance they're advertising

Originally posted by Kuntzschutz Strangely, I had a dream someone was shooting at me last night and I jumped into the water to escape the bullets. Then today I see this article.

I had a dream that I was doing coke.

Interesting idea for a bullet with the bubble and all.

Originally posted by Number13 Didn't the russians already make this 40 years ago?

Also tungsten through an ar lol 100 round service life

Yes, and yes.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    too.dark.to.see Tuskegee Airman
    And they just revealed their secret super cavitation method to the press which means this has already been done by every military, even the Bahamas, 30 years ago.

What other explanation could there be for providing weapons tech to the North Koreans via Daily Mail?
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    This will enable the army to finally kill the evil terrorist muslim mermaids who hate our freedoms.
    Number13 African Astronaut [dispute my snotty-nosed seagull]
    Also it being a .50 is hilarious, swimming with an m82 slung god damn.
    Octavian motherfucker
    I thought the thread title said "underwear bullets". I must be due a stroke or some shit.
    ORACLE Naturally Camouflaged
    Useful to shoot through your mom's wet pussy
    STER0S Space Nigga [the disappointingly unanticipated slab]
    i thought this kind of shit already existed
    Originally posted by STER0S i thought this kind of shit already existed

Yeah it's called a harpoon
    Originally posted by STER0S i thought this kind of shit already existed

It has, but in a different format.

tee hee hee Naturally Camouflaged [slangily complete this slumberer]
    Originally posted by ORACLE Useful to shoot through your mom's wet pussy

I hate myself for laughing at this 😣
    Kuntzschutz African Astronaut
    I thought about using laser induced plasma channels to reduce friction on normal bullets. It would possibly have some other useful effects too. Controlling the inertia may allow the bullet to also travel further and with less powder needed.

EDIT: might also be one way to silence the round since the plasma channel may prevent a sonic crack of a hyper sonic round.
    Originally posted by Kuntzschutz I thought about using laser induced plasma channels to reduce friction on normal bullets. It would possibly have some other useful effects too. Controlling the inertia may allow the bullet to also travel further and with less powder needed.

EDIT: might also be one way to silence the round since the plasma channel may prevent a sonic crack of a hyper sonic round.

No that wouldn't work at all, are you retarded?
Jump to Top