User Controls

Fona Thread 12/9/19 Heater/Electric Bill Resolution? and Weekend Update!!

Fonaplats victim of incest [daylong jump-start that nome]
    I covered all the windows.
    Some have plastic over blinds and others under.
    It just depended on how the blinds are hung.
    I didnt hang the blinds.

It was kinda time consuming but not hard.
    I used staples to hold up the big sheets so I could tape them up and seal them

Then I went out to Walmart and bought this space heater for $23.

I had to attach the handle to the top of it and the only screwdriver thig I had near buy was this multitool.

It immediatly collapsed and i dented the damn heater before I even got it plugged in.

Anyways I had the central heat at 65 and I turned it off.

A few hours later and this lil space heater actually raised the temperature up to 70!

Other shit I did this weekend was Chell and I attended my company's Christmas Party.
    It was pretty fun.
    Mostly just went to get my Christmas bonus.
    It was nice seeing my coworkers in a more of a relaxed atmosphere.
    It was also fun watching them drunk.
    We all had a big dinner and desert too.
    I feel good being able to take Chell out and show her off.
    And we had prizes too.
    but the drinks were expensive and several people came in with coats full of Bud Light. (the place only served imported. yuck!)
    1 guy just sat there and did a 10 minute facetime live video of himself looking into the camera and drinking while waiting for it to end.

Sunday Chell and I picked up some Chinese food.
    I got the Phoenix Dragon Dinner.(5 Jumbo Shrimp, mixed veggies, General Sao's chicken and white rice)

As we left with out food a black guy followed us out and as we were getting in the car he picked up a good little rock and hurled it at the homeless woman who was running in and out of traffic.
    It hit her in the ankle and she screamed and cried and she started to hop back toward the sidewalk.
    Then he picked up some more rocks and kept on throwing them.
    We drove around the block and checked on her and she was fine.
    Just laying there dope sick in a ball of mentally fucked with a new bruise on her leg.
    She immediately over-reacted and said her foot was broken.
    I looked her in the eyes, turned to Shell and told her that she was faking it.
    We drove away and we saw in our mirrors the woman get up off the grass and walk away.
    Im sure that black guy was annoyed at that fucked up woman just loitering and being retarded around his Tahoe but no one deserves to have rocks thrown at him.

As far as my vape goes...
    I borrowed my coworkers battery for a couple days until I could go out and get a new one.
    The one I got is a bit bigger (for a longer charge) but I am having issues with it blinking 3 times and not working.
    It appears to just be stuck connection or dirty connection but idk how to clean it do i just keep blowing it out like an old Nintendo game and wiping the threads with my pinky.
    Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I went back to the vape store today to buy Chell a new vape.
    Her last one was stolen by a roommate so I bought her one for X-mas.
    After she filled it with juice I think I only saw her smoke 2 cigs the whole rest of the day.
    I talked to some coworkers who vape and they say they save money.
    I am thinking about maybe giving it a go to.

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    O
    My nigger neighbor pulled a 2nd Craiglist rent scam and another couple had come to my door asking why they couldnt get ahold of the Landlord.
    I saw my fat bastard neighbor this morning in the stairway and I told him not to use my washer and dryer or anything else of mine anymore.
    I told him I was pissed and he said it wasn't his fault and that he had lost his house key and someone just happened to figure out what place it went to and pulled a scam.
    I work my ass off for my money and I got to live here.
    Heaters like this use a lot of power, it will make your electricity bill go up.

Nice multitool btw. I always carry mine, it comes in handy very often.

The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    They had several different kinds of heaters.
    I believe this one is forced heat.
    It is 1500 watts.
    How much will this cost to run??

I am going to also keep my apartment closed in half since most of the time we are not in the bedroom or bath or hallway.
    That should help too.

The other heaters were radiator kind, quartz, ceramic (some looked like real fireplaces), and one other kind I couldnt find.
    Which kind is best?

I plan on returning this one tomorrow as it came with a dent on it.

The cons of this one are that it has no thermostat or timer.

Wouldn't one with a thermostat save money?

This one is also kinda loud.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Do you have an electric blanket? They can be good.
    Here is one of the reasons I am glad to no longer be using the central heat.
    Here we have a return vent in my floor.

Now let us take a closer look.

Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Do you have an electric blanket? They can be good.

no
    Originally posted by Fonaplats They had several different kinds of heaters.
    I believe this one is forced heat.
    It is 1500 watts.
    How much will this cost to run??

I am going to also keep my apartment closed in half since most of the time we are not in the bedroom or bath or hallway.
    That should help too.

The other heaters were radiator kind, quartz, ceramic (some looked like real fireplaces), and one other kind I couldnt find.
    Which kind is best?

I plan on returning this one tomorrow as it came with a dent on it.

The cons of this one are that it has no thermostat or timer.

Wouldn't one with a thermostat save money?

This one is also kinda loud.

Generally, heaters that incorporate a fan use a lot of power. There may be some exceptions that I don't know about, but that seems to be the general rule.

Oil filled heaters are supposedly some of the more efficient.

Its not just about wattage, but about how efficient the unit is; how much of that power is converted into heat. In the case of a heater with a fan, you run a fan in addition to heating up the coil.

https://www.newair.com/blogs/learn/oil-filled-space-heaters-energy-efficient
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    1500 watts is 1 and a half kilo watt hours per hour.

Find out what you are paying for electricity per kWh, or "unit", and multiply by 1.5, and that is your hourly cost to run it.

Google says the average electricity cost in Dayton is 11.76¢ per kWh, so that would be 17.64¢ per hour. So around 18 cents an hour.

If you leave it on 24 hours a day that's about $4.20 a day, or about $1 for 6 hours.
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    Resistance heaters are all going to cost the same to make the same amount of heat, whether it looks like your milkhouse heater, or if it looks like a radiator and is filled with oil, or if it is dressed up any other way. If you are running it at full power for one hour, that heater will use 1.5 kilowatt hours, if you pay 10 cents per kWh then it's 15 cents an hour to run.

If you just use a bunch of space heaters to heat your house to the same temperature as the electric forced air it's not going to save you much because they both make the same amount of heat per watt, if you are lucky it will be slightly cheaper from not having to run the blower motor, and no heat loss from the ducting except now you just spent money on a bunch of space heaters. Savings would come from just using one in the room you occupy and letting the rest of the house be cool. Since it isn't obvious to you little arny bromo snake pliskin - if you let the rest of the house get too cold your pipes might freeze and burst.

And if you don't want to catch your place on fire you need to unplug that from the power strip and put it straight into the wall, no extension cords either, snake pliskin, plug it straight into the wall.
    I am going to do a little more research and if dropping a few extra bucks today means maybe saving a few in the futre then imma do it.
    The only thing about the radiator kind I dont like is how long it takes to heat up but then again we are almost always here so whatever we go with is going to run pretty much 24/7
    Originally posted by A College Professor And if you don't want to catch your place on fire you need to unplug that from the power strip and put it straight into the wall, no extension cords either, snake pliskin, plug it straight into the wall.

Lmao Americans are puny 120 volt poverty race
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country 1500 watts is 1 and a half kilo watt hours per hour.

Find out what you are paying for electricity per kWh, or "unit", and multiply by 1.5, and that is your hourly cost to run it.

Google says the average electricity cost in Dayton is 11.76¢ per kWh, so that would be 17.64¢ per hour. So around 18 cents an hour.

If you leave it on 24 hours a day that's about $4.20 a day, or about $1 for 6 hours.

All that math is still $100 cheaper and my rate is $1.11
    anyays whatever my rate is cuz i dont understand this shi...
    Look.
    Imma save money.
    I know it.
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    fona wearing your black neighbors secondhand basketball shorts and making chelly huddle infront of a space heater while she rips her vape isn't being a man, none of it really makes any sense
    Originally posted by A College Professor Resistance heaters are all going to cost the same to make the same amount of heat, whether it looks like your milkhouse heater, or if it looks like a radiator and is filled with oil, or if it is dressed up any other way. If you are running it at full power for one hour, that heater will use 1.5 kilowatt hours, if you pay 10 cents per kWh then it's 15 cents an hour to run.

If you just use a bunch of space heaters to heat your house to the same temperature as the electric forced air it's not going to save you much because they both make the same amount of heat per watt, if you are lucky it will be slightly cheaper from not having to run the blower motor, and no heat loss from the ducting except now you just spent money on a bunch of space heaters. Savings would come from just using one in the room you occupy and letting the rest of the house be cool. Since it isn't obvious to you little arny bromo snake pliskin - if you let the rest of the house get too cold your pipes might freeze and burst.

And if you don't want to catch your place on fire you need to unplug that from the power strip and put it straight into the wall, no extension cords either, snake pliskin, plug it straight into the wall.

Tell me more about power strips and the potential hazards they entail.

Do power strips with surge protectors help mitigate the risk of a fire caused by having a lot of shit plugged into it 24/7 as opposed to regular power strips without a surge protector? How important is it for a power strip to have a ground prong? Does the ground prong help to protect from fires?

How to calculate the wattage usage of all devices connected to a power strip/extension cord? How close to the maximum rating (listed on extension cord) is still safe?

Is it safe to assume that, should an extension cord used with a power strip (with surge protector), that the setup is safe if it is cool to the touch? Can it spontaneously combust without notice even if cool to the touch, or what mechanisms are at play?
    Originally posted by Misguided Russian Tell me more about power strips and the potential hazards they entail.

Do power strips with surge protectors help mitigate the risk of a fire caused by having a lot of shit plugged into it 24/7 as opposed to regular power strips without a surge protector? How important is it for a power strip to have a ground prong? Does the ground prong help to protect from fires?

How to calculate the wattage usage of all devices connected to a power strip/extension cord? How close to the maximum rating (listed on extension cord) is still safe?

Is it safe to assume that, should an extension cord used with a power strip (with surge protector), that the setup is safe if it is cool to the touch? Can it spontaneously combust without notice even if cool to the touch, or what mechanisms are at play?

This 1 space heater seems to be enough to heat the space I need.
    I am only running it.

As far as the extension cords goes,
    I bought it from Walmart.
    Hyper Tough.
    Originally posted by Fonaplats This 1 space heater seems to be enough to heat the space I need.
    I am only running it.

As far as the extension cords goes,
    I bought it from Walmart.
    Hyper Tough.

The best choice seems to be to (if you plug in multiple things) use a surge protector with a long cable instead of using a surge protector with an extension cord. If you use an extension cord with a surge protector then you need to make sure that the extension cord can handle the same/higher load than the surge protector is capable of handling.

I don't really know, though. Waiting for a reply from our resident electrician.
Jump to Top